Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wycombe Fox

City v Liverpool 1974 FA Cup Semi-Final Replay

Found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiroZ4ztQ_A...eicester%20city

I remember listening to this match on the radio at the age of 10!

Looks like it was an incredible atmosphere in Villa Park.

Shame about the result - we were a great team under Jimmy Bloomfield that year. Sure we would have beaten Newcastle in the Final if we'd have got past Liverpool.

Found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiroZ4ztQ_A...eicester%20city

I remember listening to this match on the radio at the age of 10!

Looks like it was an incredible atmosphere in Villa Park.

Shame about the result - we were a great team under Jimmy Bloomfield that year. Sure we would have beaten Newcastle in the Final if we'd have got past Liverpool.

Do you remember the commentator saying that Keegan was offside for his goal? Watching that just highlights the footballing pygmies we have to put up with at City today. So sad really when you look at some of our younger supporters "best teams they have seen" on other threads.

Amazing atmosphere. We had the Holte End and I was right at the back. It was mental when Glover equalised then depression set in when Keegan/Toshack turned the game around. A truly awesome night though with a massive City support.

Amazing atmosphere. We had the Holte End and I was right at the back. It was mental when Glover equalised then depression set in when Keegan/Toshack turned the game around. A truly awesome night though with a massive City support.

Are you a buddist? You have to have been reincarnated because no one could be old enough to have been at that game AND be able to use computers ;)

Are you a buddist? You have to have been reincarnated because no one could be old enough to have been at that game AND be able to use computers ;)

You're avin a larf mate. Compys are easy, make my livin' out of using them. And no, I'm not a Buddist. I'm an atheist although I was practising transcendental meditation when Glover scored. Shame we couldn't have won it as I think we'd have beaten the Geordies in the final.

So sad really when you look at some of our younger supporters "best teams they have seen" on other threads.
Why is it sad? Some might only have been a few days old at the time of the game. I would blame the parents.

You have to start somewhere. My knowledge was limited in 1967 when I started supporting the City. Some kid going down next season for the first time could end up like me in 40 years time.

Actually, now that is sad.

Why is it sad? Some might only have been a few days old at the time of the game. I would blame the parents.

Typical of the misinterpretations that go on here!!! It is sad because they weren't old enough to have enjoyed a time when, unlike today, City held their heads high with the best of them. And it's sad because the pathetic excuse for players we have now wouldn't have lived with that team. This shower has no class, no character and is bloody close to being the worst set of players this club has had the misfortune to find shirts for. That's why it's sad Leesoh.

Typical of the misinterpretations that go on here!!! ....... That's why it's sad Leesoh.
Pots and kettles.....

Please see the note "sarky cow"; it was a tongue in cheek comment, not meant to be taken seriously.

Typical of the misinterpretations that go on here!!! It is sad because they weren't old enough to have enjoyed a time when, unlike today, City held their heads high with the best of them. And it's sad because the pathetic excuse for players we have now wouldn't have lived with that team. This shower has no class, no character and is bloody close to being the worst set of players this club has had the misfortune to find shirts for. That's why it's sad Leesoh.

Ummmm debateable. I was there, in fact I was there home and away with City all through that season. Yes, that was a good team but to compare it to today's team is surely to compare apples with lemons? It's also true there were players knocking around in '74 who took their fair share of stick from the fans and didn't pull up trees every week. Steve Earle would be mercilessly slaughtered on a regular basis, Maclom Munro was hardly world class and Mike Stringfellow was long past his sell by date by the time we reached the semi. Yes, we had some great players, Worthington, Weller, Glover and Nish to name but four. But Bloomfield had been building in the First Division for some time.

As it happens, I enjoyed supporting that team then and enjoy supporting this team now irrespective of their merits. I support the team because I support Leicester City and will do until the day I die. One day we might have a team as good as the '74 team or the one O'Neill put together. Then again we might not. But we will always have Leicester City. Amen brother.

Ummmm debateable. I was there, in fact I was there home and away with City all through that season. Yes, that was a good team but to compare it to today's team is surely to compare apples with lemons? It's also true there were players knocking around in '74 who took their fair share of stick from the fans and didn't pull up trees every week. Steve Earle would be mercilessly slaughtered on a regular basis, Maclom Munro was hardly world class and Mike Stringfellow was long past his sell by date by the time we reached the semi. Yes, we had some great players, Worthington, Weller, Glover and Nish to name but four. But Bloomfield had been building in the First Division for some time.

As it happens, I enjoyed supporting that team then and enjoy supporting this team now irrespective of their merits. I support the team because I support Leicester City and will do until the day I die. One day we might have a team as good as the '74 team or the one O'Neill put together. Then again we might not. But we will always have Leicester City. Amen brother.

Fair points Chris, especially your highlighting of the lesser lights in the side. Despite those weaknesses, though, they did tend to spend more time in the top half of the league than not. And, again including those lesser lights, I'm still not convinced that anyone from the current crop would have made the side during Bloomfield's time in charge.

I'm still not convinced that anyone from the current crop would have made the side during Bloomfield's time in charge.

I agree entirely, although we'll never know. But that was then and this is now. Onwards and upwards....and Foxtrot is a great LP by the way. Were you at DMH the night they recorded "Genesis Live"? Ah, the glory years.....

I agree entirely, although we'll never know. But that was then and this is now. Onwards and upwards....and Foxtrot is a great LP by the way. Were you at DMH the night they recorded "Genesis Live"? Ah, the glory years.....

Yep. One day after my birthday. And Gabriel's tour date there years later.

Not strictly true. Nish had left for the sheepworriers in 1972, although his replacement, Dennis Rofe, was quite a tidy player.

Don't think Sammels and the Birch would have been able to live with the likes of Lennon and Muzzy though..

Not strictly true. Nish had left for the sheepworriers in 1972, although his replacement, Dennis Rofe, was quite a tidy player.

Soz, my mistake. It was Rofe, not Nish, who played in the semi. I'm getting old, the memory's fading.....

Archived