Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Pointers?

It would seem that RK rates Fryatt, Hume, O'Grady and Hammond more so than MDV so it makes more sense to take a young prospect to Cheshire than a striker who has experienced a fair few pre-seasons as a professional footballer already. With Fryatt and Hume possibly playing one of the two matches and O'Grady and Hammond taking the other game, MDV may not have got much game time anyway. It will benefit Dodds more to experience being around the 1st team squad but maybe not getting much game time than it would've benefitted MDV.

I don't think it's a secret that Hamill hasn't been involved at all since Rob took over. The fact that at times towards the end of last season he was the only senior pro involved in certain reserve team matches signalled where he was in Rob's plans. Rob saw some of these games and Hamill didn't stand out and didn't appear to make an effort to get along with some of the younger lads he was playing with. His attitude was poor for me and this will have stood out to Kelly.

Sylla's opportunities after RK took over were limited too. Kelly said Sylla had a back injury for a fair few weeks after coming back from the African Cup of Nations but even after recovering he wasn't involved much.

If any of these three leave, it wouldn't be a surprise but it may be the case that we won't be able to offload them all/any of them.

I think Kelly is right to take Weso and is being consistent to his beliefs. He is clearly intending the lad to be a part of what goes on and wants him to add to his understanding of what is required in the systems of play that Kelly intends to adopt in various circumstances.

It is also a part of building that vital incredient, team spirit and in making sure Weso has every chance of building the sort of rapport with the new players that he clearly had with established colleagues. Far better than involving people who he doesn't believe are going to have a part to play. Twenty=two fit players should be plenty.

It's good to see Dodds being involved as well. I always feel he's a bit understated but there's no doubting the consistency of his scoring record and he does know how to fit in with the players around him and I think there'll be a special bit of competitive comeraderie among the youngsters as they try to make their mark.

With any luck that should serve to motivate each one of them just that little bit more and especially with Stearman, Weso and O'Grady already being fairly well established.

I should stress that I don't think all the youngsters will necessarily establish themselves but if we get one plus a regular squad member that will represent a useful return on the Academy investment and better value than if we went and purchased some more Syllas and Hamills at whatever cost.

Along with others, I'll be as pleased as anyone if we secure any other new players , so long as they are better than what we already have, so long as they make economic sense and so long as they are prepared to compete for their place. I don't want players for the sake of it. A numerically bigger squad won't help team spirit because too many players will have to remain idle or on the periphery and Kelly is clearly aware of that.

Low was mentioned as a right winger and nothing that's been said suggests anything else. I just feel Hammond will perhaps give proper support this season, either to that position, the left flank or to the strikers.

He's continued to give his best when things have not gone well for him and that has impressed me. Hopefully too he has worked on his shortcomings.

So far Kelly's close season approach has been realistic and progressive. Just what we needed in our situation.

A numerically bigger squad won't help team spirit because too many players will have to remain idle or on the periphery and Kelly is clearly aware of that.

Indeed. With no regular reserve-team football this season some players will be in danger of going rusty through inactivity.

Or, crazy idea, why not play J. Low on the right wing? What with that being his position and all... ;)

How silly of me.

Crazyer still lets play Sylla there thats where he plays as well, Left wing problem is solved as Hamill plays there, oh and Mark De Vries is a striker, there is out hitman sorted :thumbup:

Archived