Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Pointers?

No DeVries, Hamill or Sylla in City's squad for the Macclesfield/Stockport trip and former Reserves/Academy striker Louis Dodds added to the squad joining Sheehan and Porter from the "feeder" ranks.

Linking this squad with what the chairman said about needing to feed people through from the Academy set-up, I am beginning to feel there's some genuine long term thought and development going on at Leicester.

Weso's kept in the squad despite not being available to play and that means six of the 23-man squad have/are coming through from the "youth" ranks, including three one might describe as "new" first team possibles.

Surely there is more potential value to the club in developing Sheehan/Porter/Dodds/Wesolowski than persevering with the three players left out and Kelly does seem to have added some reasonably safe buys to the squad which seems to mean we will have fewer weaknesses this season.

I still feel the club might sell someone and presumably the manager will know who and will have already made his contingency plans but when I look at the squad at least I feel that everyone is capable of making a useful contribution even if one or two will inevitably disappoint.

I hope Kelly keeps faith with the youngsters (Porter, for instance was awful when I first saw him play midfield but how fast he learned and what a capable little general he finished up) and I believe the long-developed spirit among the young players will be an added bonus to the overall atmosphere of what has every chance of becoming a "together" squad.

Youngsters need to be involved. Okay they won't be first choice all or even perhaps any of the time, but nor do they want to be sidelined for long periods just because they made a mistake or two. What's important is that everyone is given opportunity to learn from shortcomings - with O'Grady the perfect example of how that works.

My lasting worry is where will Joey's goals come from and whether we can scored enough times overall but the signs to me are that this could be the happiest and most united City squad for a long time and that is important. A bit short of genuine flair perhaps but a team of players who I believe can generally be relied on to give their best - and to battle.

I also hope Hammond makes his mark. Some judges I respect seem to have lost faith in him but I'll go out on a limb and say that I think he'll be thought of as a valuable squad member by the end of the season and certainly hope so because his pace could be important if he uses it properly. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a wider roll this season.

But so far, so good. Well done RK. He seems to have shed the squad of dead wood and planted new seeds which have been brought up in the club's nurseries and are familiar with what's expected. Top half would still be an achievement but top third is perhaps possible. And if we achieve that we will know we have a firm foundation for a lasting future with doubtless another couple of youngsters breaking through to the squad next season.

City squad: Douglas, Henderson; Maybury, Sheehan, McCarthy, McAuley Stearman, Kenton, Kisnorbo, Gerrbrand, Johansson, Hughes, Wesolowski, Tiatto, Johnson, Williams, Porter, Low, Hume, Fryatt, Hammond, O'Grady, Dodds.

It looks like the writing's on the wall for the three players omitted. They must surely know there is no future for them at this club.

But the squad that remains looks promising. Sheehan is obviously back in favour and maybe he will develop sufficiently to hold down a regular place in the side, either as left-back or left midfield.

There is still a chance that one of the defenders will be moving on at some stage during the next few weeks, but if that happens, hopefully the sale proceeds will be used wisely.

The central midfield partnership of Williams and Johnson will be the key to our prospects in the coming season. Williams in particular needs to develop a little more consistency than we have witnessed to date and perhaps contribute a few more goals to help fill the gap left by Joey's departure.

Overall, though, the squad looks like it should compete more effectively in this league than its predecessors in the last two seasons. Barring injuries, I'd say a top 10 finish should be within our reach. Given that the side is still largely a work in progress it won't be a complete disaster if we miss out on the top 6 this year.

I also hope Hammond makes his mark. Some judges I respect seem to have lost faith in him but I'll go out on a limb and say that I think he'll be thought of as a valuable squad member by the end of the season and certainly hope so because his pace could be important if he uses it properly. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a wider roll this season.

I completely agree about Hammond. Last season I thought he would have been 100% better than Sylla in that position. He does have the ability to not only whizz past players but every now and again play past them too. It's what he does as he approaches the Goal that is the problem, but I'm sure his crossing ability would have improved somewhat. I think this season if he is given a chance on that side of the pitch he might jsut come good!

Of all the players in City's squad Williams is the great enigma.

Even with someone like Kisnorbo who changed almost everyone's opinion last season, viewpoints were consistent. He was lacking in midfield and excellent in defence.

But while I have fairly strongly defined (though never unchangeable) opinions about City players apart from the newcomers, I'm still not sure about Williams.

He does good things, even some of his shots perhaps deserve a better fate, but if I was a manager I wouldn't know if I'd want him or not because every team needs midfield flair and, Porter apart, we haven't got much so I wouldn't want to flippantly throw it away.

I'm all for giving the youngsters a run out but if they ain't good enough they ain't good enough and they shouldn't be treated any different just because we've invested in them.

Even though I can't wait to see the back of Sylla, he shouldn't be sacrificed to make way for a youngster who may not be up to it in the long run.

Fortunatley the enigma needs a new contract come the end of the season so he's going to have to impress someone or he might be losing a fair percentage of that nice salary he has. Presuming ( as most of us do ) he is one of our highest earners, he's going to have to finally show some talent in order to retain his bumper pay check. Wheather he plays a blinder and signs a new deal this season or plays even more of a blinder and bugges off to the prem I really am not fussed. I'd much prefere that to him playing poorly again and leaving.

The squad is incouraging, hopefully a sign Kelly thinks a few of the younger players can improve the first team.

fully understand Sylla and Hamill not making the 23 and still being at Leicester, I honestly would not know were to send Sylla, I bet we are paying him reasnoabley, better then any one who could want him any way, I dont see him wanting out. I can't see any one wanting Hamil full stop (league one or two on loan perhaps although i see him struggling in league one :smile: ) De Vries on the other hand is completley differnt, as said on another thread, I would of thought someone would stump up a 100,000 for him.

Elvis Hammond can't shoot therefore he is no striker. The right wing idea has been floating around for awhile now, IMO he would simply be average there, I dont think he has the flair or the crossing abilty to make any real significant impact from the right flank. Should Hughes be 100% I think he should start there and the postion should be reviewed 3 or 4 games in.

I'm all for giving the youngsters a run out but if they ain't good enough they ain't good enough and they shouldn't be treated any different just because we've invested in them.

Even though I can't wait to see the back of Sylla, he shouldn't be sacrificed to make way for a youngster who may not be up to it in the long run.

Which youngster have we got who isn't up to Sylla's class?. Even choosing from those who are not in the first team squad. I wouldn't want Sylla in a non-League team that I ran, and I am not being facetious.

It is no sacrifice leaving Sylla out because he has done so very little, when he's been in but if anyone, youngster or otherwise, comes in to replace him then I am sure Kelly will try someone else if the replacement "isn't up to the job long term"

The whole point of investing in youngsters is that we eventually give the best ones an opportunity to succeed. There's no point in having an Academy otherwise.

By the time they reach the stage where they are being considered for the first team their skills and capabilities are well known - far better known than ever Sylla's qualities were known, evidently.

The youngsters have also grown into the mood and folklore of the club so that it is likely the shirt means something to them. Unlike outside signings the only "Academy" youngsters who get the chance of first team consideration are those who have already performed consistently well for Leicester City at a lower level.

How does anyone learn if they can make the final step without they are given a chance? And by that I think Kelly's plan is to ease them in bit by bit, building their undestanding of their job within the team and at the same time building their confidence and rapport with other players.

If one of them shines irresistably and makes a position his own then good luck to him but I think low-key bit-by-bit introductions are more Kelly's way. And why not?

Which youngster have we got who isn't up to Sylla's class?. Even choosing from those who are not in the first team squad. I wouldn't want Sylla in a non-League team that I ran, and I am not being facetious.

It is no sacrifice leaving Sylla out because he has done so very little, when he's been in but if anyone, youngster or otherwise, comes in to replace him then I am sure Kelly will try someone else if the replacement "isn't up to the job long term"

The whole point of investing in youngsters is that we eventually give the best ones an opportunity to succeed. There's no point in having an Academy otherwise.

By the time they reach the stage where they are being considered for the first team their skills and capabilities are well known - far better known than ever Sylla's qualities were known, evidently.

The youngsters have also grown into the mood and folklore of the club so that it is likely the shirt means something to them. Unlike outside signings the only "Academy" youngsters who get the chance of first team consideration are those who have already performed consistently well for Leicester City at a lower level .

How does anyone learn if they can make the final step without they are given a chance? And by that I think Kelly's plan is to ease them in bit by bit, building their undestanding of their job within the team and at the same time building their confidence and rapport with other players.

If one of them shines irresistably and makes a position his own then good luck to him but I think low-key bit-by-bit introductions are more Kelly's way. And why not?

If a good youngster was to come along al a Theo Walcott he's not going to give a toss about putting on a City shirt anymore then he would putting on an Arsenal shirt, they are all in it for the money and it doesn't matter to them who the paymaster is.

Do you seriously think that a youngster plays better for your team because he feels part of City folklore?

I was using Sylla as an example but don't tell me that all the youngsters in the squad are better then him, we need to hit the floor running at the start of the season and to do that we need our most experienced players not a couple of youngsters who are only in the team because we've invested in them.

Fine give them a chance and quite rightly he's doing that in the upcoming friendlies but lets be serious are they good enough to be part of the starting squad?

If a good youngster was to come along al a Theo Walcott he's not going to give a toss about putting on a City shirt anymore then he would putting on an Arsenal shirt, they are all in it for the money and it doesn't matter to them who the paymaster is.

Do you seriously think that a youngster plays better for your team because he feels part of City folklore?

I was using Sylla as an example but don't tell me that all the youngsters in the squad are better then him, we need to hit the floor running at the start of the season and to do that we need our most experienced players not a couple of youngsters who are only in the team because we've invested in them.

Fine give them a chance and quite rightly he's doing that in the upcoming friendlies but lets be serious are they good enough to be part of the starting squad?

You need to ask that of Sylla, experience doesn't automatically = good or better. Sylla's had his chances and failed miserably along with Hamill, RK has recognised this and prefers to put his faith in other players.

You need to ask that of Sylla, experience doesn't automatically = good or better. Sylla's had his chances and failed miserably along with Hamill, RK has recognised this and prefers to put his faith in other players.

What you actually mean is that he can't afford to buy anyone decent so he's sticking the youngsters in at the deep end and hoping for the best!

There is a difference between being part of the squad and being in the first choice starting 11.

So it can hardly be said RK is "throwing youngsters in at the deep end". :rolleyes:

Or, crazy idea, why not play J. Low on the right wing? What with that being his position and all... ;)

Wash your mouth out with soap!! We don't want any such nonsense talked about anywhere near LCFC!! :blink:

There is a difference between being part of the squad and being in the first choice starting 11.

So it can hardly be said RK is "throwing youngsters in at the deep end". :rolleyes:

No I think he's spot on with what he's doing with the youngsters but some posters on here seem to think that they are our saviours.

It may surprise some people to know that there are teams worse off financially then us who are going out and actually looking for players, we don't seem to be! Why not?

What you actually mean is that he can't afford to buy anyone decent so he's sticking the youngsters in at the deep end and hoping for the best!

If your good enough your old enough, and to be fair Kelly has seen all these players more than us, so you have to put faith in his judgement that they will offer a better contribution than some of the more experienced players.

As long as they run and tackle they would have contributed more than Sylla did last season !!!

Not at all our ability to bring in new players has no bearing on this.

It's a simple case of: is the experience of Sylla, MDV & Hamill (such that it is) going to provide a greater chance of success than the players he's picking? I think it's quite clear that RK, who knows these players better than us has demonstrated that their experience in this specific incident means jack shit or words to that effect.

I was a bit surprised to see Dodds included - he's a striker, and our squad had 4 of those for Boston.

I was expecting (pessimistic tho it may sound) Sylla to be taken along to replace Weso.

Funny that a crocked Weso is still taken in place of any other midfield options, and that an extra (academy/reserve) striker should be taken instead of said midfield options.

This looks like the squad for the upcoming campaign. It'll be interesting to see if we line up in a similar fashion as we did against Boston (similar starting 11 then wholesale changes at the half), or if the formation is changed slightly to accomodate an extra striker at some point.

Is anyone excited yet? :)

I was a bit surprised to see Dodds included - he's a striker, and our squad had 4 of those for Boston.

I was expecting (pessimistic tho it may sound) Sylla to be taken along to replace Weso.

Funny that a crocked Weso is still taken in place of any other midfield options, and that an extra (academy/reserve) striker should be taken instead of said midfield options.

This looks like the squad for the upcoming campaign. It'll be interesting to see if we line up in a similar fashion as we did against Boston (similar starting 11 then wholesale changes at the half), or if the formation is changed slightly to accomodate an extra striker at some point.

Is anyone excited yet? :)

Actually before the pre-season games started I was a bit down, but looking at the squad RK is taking to places fills me with some optimism for the season a head!! Anyway we'll all find out on August 5th!

Archived