Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ultra

MERCURY MUSIC PRIZE

They didn't ask for the hype. To rate them against the hype is unfair. You're not really rating them if you do that, but the media and a section of the fanbase.

I go through phases of skipping their songs on my MP3 player through overplay but when I go back to them I'm always struck by their quality.

They didn't ask for the hype.

Oh really? They weren't exactly discouraging the attentions of NME and others, were they? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even so, congratulations are due. As I said in July, they wouldn't have been my choice, but they're still worthy winners.

Oh really? They weren't exactly discouraging the attentions of NME and others, were they? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even so, congratulations are due. As I said in July, they wouldn't have been my choice, but they're still worthy winners.

They didn't ask for it any more than any other band would or does. In fact, even less so if you take into account their non-appearance on TOTP.

I reckon they are just a bunch of one trick ponies, typical schoolboy indie pop without anything to really differentiate it from anything else bar the initial method of delivery. I don't get what is special about them at all and I guarantee that the album will not be being played in a year or two's time...

I went through the list and was amazed at the amount I didn't bother buying or don't play anymore ~ here's the one's that still get airtime in casa de Disco B

* Bloc Party – Silent Alarm

* Coldplay – X&Y

* Hard-Fi – Stars of CCTV

* Kaiser Chiefs – Employment

* Seth Lakeman – Kitty Jay

* Snow Patrol – Final Straw

* Coldplay – A Rush of Blood to the Head

* Elbow – Asleep in the Back

* Coldplay – Parachutes

* Catatonia – International Velvet

* Gomez – Bring It On

* Massive Attack – Mezzanine

* Pulp – This is Hardcore

* Primal Scream – Vanishing Point

* Pulp – Different Class

* Elastica – Elastica

* Portishead – Dummy

* Supergrass – I Should Coco

* Pulp – His'n'Hers

* Therapy? – Troublegum

* PJ Harvey – Rid of Me

* Jah Wobble – Rising Above Bedlam

* The Jesus and Mary Chain – Honey's Dead

* Primal Scream – Screamadelica

I reckon they are just a bunch of one trick ponies, typical schoolboy indie pop without anything to really differentiate it from anything else bar the initial method of delivery. I don't get what is special about them at all and I guarantee that the album will not be being played in a year or two's time...

I went through the list and was amazed at the amount I didn't bother buying or don't play anymore ~ here's the one's that still get airtime in casa de Disco B

* Coldplay – X&Y

* Coldplay – Parachutes

* Gomez – Bring It On

* Pulp – Different Class

* Elastica – Elastica

* Portishead – Dummy

* Pulp – His'n'Hers

* Therapy? – Troublegum

* PJ Harvey – Rid of Me

You haven't heard many of their tunes then. Try not just listening to the album eh.

The single LBTLCO, the b sides to that, and near enough every song on their EP was enough to show that they're not just one trick ponies.

* Coldplay – X&Y

* Coldplay – Parachutes

* Gomez – Bring It On

* Pulp – Different Class

* Elastica – Elastica

* Portishead – Dummy

* Pulp – His'n'Hers

* Therapy? – Troublegum

* PJ Harvey – Rid of Me

One trick ponies :o

What about Coldplay? They aren't exactly groundbreaking though are they?

If anything they've got worse, Parachutes was great, but the others have been so mundane it's a joke!

You haven't heard many of their tunes then. Try not just listening to the album eh.

I've downloaded 22 songs - I reckon that's enough to form an opinion about them. They're fun pop whimsy but nothing that hasn't been done before many times. There's nothing that special about them, to me.

What about Coldplay? They aren't exactly groundbreaking though are they?

If anything they've got worse, Parachutes was great, but the others have been so mundane it's a joke!

The thing about Coldplay is that they play melodies, blend harmonies and let crescendo's ebb though the music - they demonstrate a taught ability as opposed to TAM's self-taught guitar strumming. They are original though, sparking a maudlin troop of imitators such as Keane and Snow Patrol, because I am pushed to think of anyone similar over the last 30 years.

I'm a massive fan of raw, blistered fingered self-taught music...but when it offers a spark of originality like the original wave of punk bands, decent garage angst.

What do TAM offer that Supergrass haven't already done with more aplomb, The Undertones with more teen gusto or The Dickies with more bollocks?

I've downloaded 22 songs - I reckon that's enough to form an opinion about them. They're fun pop whimsy but nothing that hasn't been done before many times. There's nothing that special about them, to me.

The thing about Coldplay is that they play melodies, blend harmonies and let crescendo's ebb though the music - they demonstrate a taught ability as opposed to TAM's self-taught guitar strumming. They are original though, sparking a maudlin troop of imitators such as Keane and Snow Patrol, because I am pushed to think of anyone similar over the last 30 years.

I'm a massive fan of raw, blistered fingered self-taught music...but when it offers a spark of originality like the original wave of punk bands, decent garage angst.

What do TAM offer that Supergrass haven't already done with more aplomb, The Undertones with more teen gusto or The Dickies with more bollocks?

it's AM.

And all of that's rubbish, you like Hard-fi... says a lot.

it's AM.

And all of that's rubbish, you like Hard-fi... says a lot.

:rolleyes: Are you for real Craig, getting all prissy about someone not liking your little band?

Alright, the might of your powerful argument has swayed me, they are marvelous and Ben Elton should write a play about them featuring all of their B-sides. I'm going to write to Tony Blair right now about getting a bank holiday added to the calender in their name.

Better now? :whistle:

:rolleyes: Are you for real Craig, getting all prissy about someone not liking your little band?

Alright, the might of your powerful argument has swayed me, they are marvelous and Ben Elton should write a play about them featuring all of their B-sides. I'm going to write to Tony Blair right now about getting a bank holiday added to the calender in their name.

Better now? :whistle:

Mucho. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Archived