Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ashwj

Centre Backs.

We potentially have six centre backs, Kisnorbo, Johnansen, Gerrbrand, Kenton, McAuly and Paddy Mac. I presumed we had brought Kenton to fill in at RB or LB but that doesnt seem to be the case. Johansen does not seem comfortable at left back but is a solid centre back. At the end of last season the center back position was our second strongest area after Humey and Fryatt, so why have we brought more? I had presumed Kisnorbo was on his way out with another center back but the start of the new season is drawing ever closer with no sign of any of them leaving.

On the other hand we do not have a natural senior left back or a decent keeper (unless Logan turns good), or much in the way of attacking wide players. So why have we spent our very limited resources on center backs? I must be missing something. I don't feel very positive about the new season with what I see as a weaker team than we finished the season with last year.

we need loads mate. we play a formation of 1-9-1

Douglas in goal (to fill it)

Maybury -- Stearman -- Kenton --- Mcauley --- Skills --- Kisnorbo --- Gerrbrand --- Paddy Mac --- Tiatto

--------------------Hume-------------------

championship winning side 06/07

:sarcasm:

We potentially have six centre backs, Kisnorbo, Johnansen, Gerrbrand, Kenton, McAuly and Paddy Mac. I presumed we had brought Kenton to fill in at RB or LB but that doesnt seem to be the case. Johansen does not seem comfortable at left back but is a solid centre back. At the end of last season the center back position was our second strongest area after Humey and Fryatt, so why have we brought more? I had presumed Kisnorbo was on his way out with another center back but the start of the new season is drawing ever closer with no sign of any of them leaving.

On the other hand we do not have a natural senior left back or a decent keeper (unless Logan turns good), or much in the way of attacking wide players. So why have we spent our very limited resources on center backs? I must be missing something. I don't feel very positive about the new season with what I see as a weaker team than we finished the season with last year.

I'm less worried now having seen Logan perform again. He seems bigger and stronger this year and looks a perfectly competent and reliable option. One who can kick too - at least in terms of distance. I might want him to work on his direction though. But his handling of high crosses, in particular, seemed excellent.

I like the look of Logan too, although Iv only seen him for 45 minutes. How many games is Kisnorbo suspended for? I don't really like seeing Paddy Mac and Kenton as a pair in central defence as neither are particularly strong or dominant in the air, although Kentons pace is a plus I suppose.

Well I think one of the things with our squad at the end of last season was that we didnt seem to have depth in the squad, certainly not to challenge for promotion.

It seems now that we have depth in the centre back area which is great and I dont think it should be condemed. I agree with you about the wide players. I do believe Levi Porter is coming on great and Rob may include him into the mix a little more this season. Other than that you have Momo Sylla who, in my opinion, doesnt try and is (or was?) lazy and didnt have that 'fire in his belly'. However, after reading the Mercury earlier this week I believe that he's come on and he may be better for us this season. Other than Momo you've got Josh Low who I havnt seen and, in fairness, I cant comment on but hopefully he can pull something out the bag for us this season.

The goalkeeping position, I must agree, isnt a healthy one. However, I dont think you can say that Paul Henderson isnt a good keeper, he is a great shot stopper and if he could sort his kicking out I think we'd all be feeling a lot safer about the GK position. Again, your right about the left back position however I dont know what happened to Sheehan. When I seen him under Levein he seemed great, one of those quick, up and down the wing, getting crosses in type of left back. However, like players who play well under Levein, they get axed by Levein and coinsidently that guy lost his job.

Anyway, I dont think you should not feel positive about the season. Really, all it takes is two wins under your belt in the first three games and all of a sudden you are giving a serious challenge.

Guest Gist

I thought Kenton looked very average against Real Sociedad, he don't seem to have much pace or strength.

seen him play loads, got season ticket and been to a few away games. I really feel he struggles against big centre forwards, which is why he often resorts to pushing. Don't get me wrong I think he's an excellent player who reads the game exceptionally well but I think he is best when he is worring about the second ball as opposed to winning the big headers. I am mainly reffering to route one balls that need heading clear under challenge from big strikers, I have no doubt that Paddy Mac deals with crosses etc really well.

I have also seen him struggle a few times with big strikers with the ball on the floor getting turned and often diving in. I think that Kisnorbo (and possibly McAuly and Johansen) are slightly stronger and can hold big men up better. I just think generally you need at least one center back who is big and strong.

Stearman can also play centre back, so that's seven :thumbup:

Personally, i think five centre backs is ideal, two to cover the starting two and one to cover them incase any of them get injured

For instance:

Gerrbrand would cover for Kenton and McCauley who are there to cover for Paddy Mac and Kisnorbo.

Well I think one of the things with our squad at the end of last season was that we didnt seem to have depth in the squad, certainly not to challenge for promotion.

It seems now that we have depth in the centre back area which is great and I dont think it should be condemed. I agree with you about the wide players. I do believe Levi Porter is coming on great and Rob may include him into the mix a little more this season. Other than that you have Momo Sylla who, in my opinion, doesnt try and is (or was?) lazy and didnt have that 'fire in his belly'. However, after reading the Mercury earlier this week I believe that he's come on and he may be better for us this season. Other than Momo you've got Josh Low who I havnt seen and, in fairness, I cant comment on but hopefully he can pull something out the bag for us this season.

The goalkeeping position, I must agree, isnt a healthy one. However, I dont think you can say that Paul Henderson isnt a good keeper, he is a great shot stopper and if he could sort his kicking out I think we'd all be feeling a lot safer about the GK position. Again, your right about the left back position however I dont know what happened to Sheehan. When I seen him under Levein he seemed great, one of those quick, up and down the wing, getting crosses in type of left back. However, like players who play well under Levein, they get axed by Levein and coinsidently that guy lost his job.

Anyway, I dont think you should not feel positive about the season. Really, all it takes is two wins under your belt in the first three games and all of a sudden you are giving a serious challenge.

DavieG made a good point in conversation on Sunday - that players react differently to pressure. Some respond to a rolocking others to a more sympathetic approach.

Sheehan's confidence was dented after being dropped following his decent game in the win over Sheffield Wesnesday and seemed to be shattered after his exile after the Crewe game.

Since then he had a long injury but he has also seemed to be trying to be something he's not when at his best and that is overly aggressive.

Sheehan is naturally a cultured player - a player who makes himself available, a player who can pass short or long and who likes to get forward constantly.

Against Hinckley he seemed to be trying too hard - like a man desperate to make his mark. Impulsiveness led to a couple of rash tackles and an irritated demeanour.

Mike Stowell must have sorted it because Sheehan was far better second half, contributed to a goal and offered excellent backing and some accurate all round passing.

My point is that I believe Sheehan of all players would benefit from being told he's going to play in the first team - regularly - either as first choice or as a regular replacement.

That would give him the chance to relax again and be the reliable, supportive and creative full-back regular watchers know he can be.

This a nonsense arguement if you ask me, I just don't see the sense of it!! :dunno:

if you are going to use this philosophy then we could have 6 players who could play in centre midfield and 6 players who can play upfront!!

yes we have 7 players who can play centre back but most of these can play right back and left back aswell. with Nils, Stearman, Kenton and with maybury and sheehan we basicly have 3 left backs (4 if you include maybury) and 3 right backs which is good cover. then we have 4 players who play centre back then we have 3 more who can play there aswell. the good thing is none of them are really weak links really which will make them have to earn their place and also we have cover for injuries and suspensions, which was an area what we was affected in. its all good

DavieG made a good point in conversation on Sunday - that players react differently to pressure. Some respond to a rolocking others to a more sympathetic approach.

Sheehan's confidence was dented after being dropped following his decent game in the win over Sheffield Wesnesday and seemed to be shattered after his exile after the Crewe game.

Since then he had a long injury but he has also seemed to be trying to be something he's not when at his best and that is overly aggressive.

Sheehan is naturally a cultured player - a player who makes himself available, a player who can pass short or long and who likes to get forward constantly.

Against Hinckley he seemed to be trying too hard - like a man desperate to make his mark. Impulsiveness led to a couple of rash tackles and an irritated demeanour.

Mike Stowell must have sorted it because Sheehan was far better second half, contributed to a goal and offered excellent backing and some accurate all round passing.

My point is that I believe Sheehan of all players would benefit from being told he's going to play in the first team - regularly - either as first choice or as a regular replacement.

That would give him the chance to relax again and be the reliable, supportive and creative full-back regular watchers know he can be.

My dad speaks about the same thing quite a lot. He mentioned it a lot with Nalis when he was with us, and how Nalis is a player where you've just got to keep playing him and keep putting him in your team to get the best out of him.

If you dont do that, then he'll simply not perform for you - this being heavily to do with the mental side of the game, I guess.

Archived