Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Grounds for optimism

Apart from a sloppy first 20 minutes defensively that was an enjoyable night out and for various reasons.

a) Chris O'Grady gave the best example of leading the line I've seen from a Leicester player for ages. He scored a cracking goal he won headers, right, left and centre of the field, he held the ball brilliantly until support arrived and he constantly brought people into play.

b) People talk about loaning Conrad Logan out and I'd think there'd be a queue of takers led by Boston who tried hard enough to buy him and would cleary love to have him back. He made a couple of good saves and one terrific block at a vital time. Everything he did was positive and his handling and kicking looked confident.

Like O'Grady, it was as good as I've seen for a while. Can't Douglas go on loan?

c) Clearly RK and MS had talked about playing the ball to feet, including crosses. We really did retain possession well up front, moving the ball from side to side. Macclesfield resisted for a while but were passed to exhaustion in the end and City might well have had four or five.

d) There was no suggestion of score one and hold out. I've rarely seen so many give and goes from so many Leicester players.

e) Gareth Williams looked so much more involved surrounded by more players passing to feet.

f) I've no idea what happened to Stearman recently but he was back to his very best tonight, defending crisply and supporting the attacks with enthusiasm.

g) Levi completed a satisfactory home debut, making a goal, almost grabbing one himself on three occasions and laying several excellent chances on for others.

h) A second successive clean sheet (though a bit lucky first 20 minutes), another cup game to look forward too and two wins and a draw in the last three.

Yes, I know it was only Macclesfield. They were our opponents tonight and already there's plenty of teams been eliminated by just such as Macclesfield so it was a job satisfactorily completed and with a bit of style that augers well for the future.

Complaints: Of course.

They were obvious so there's no real need to discuss them.

Can I just put a bit of perspective on things and say as I said before the match that Macclesfield are one of the worst teams in the football league. They are in League 2 and have 1 point from 4 games. Logan and O'Grady had already proved they could compete at this level from their previous loan stints. Any players performance is nothing to get carried away about neither is the team performance as a whole.

I'm just glad we won as we are now unbeaten in 3 and will have momentum for the Southend game.

Wasn't at the game but I listened to it on radio and I can also agree with you that, apart from the first 20 minutes, we seemed a pretty decent side, and players struggling to perform gave a decent account of themselves, which will hopefully continue into the league. Also, fringe players got a run out, and they also did their chances of selection no harm. All-in-all, a positive and good performance, and long may it continue :D:P

Apart from a sloppy first 20 minutes defensively that was an enjoyable night out and for various reasons.

a) Chris O'Grady gave the best example of leading the line I've seen from a Leicester player for ages. He scored a cracking goal he won headers, right, left and centre of the field, he held the ball brilliantly until support arrived and he constantly brought people into play.

Agreed - why did RK (and predecessors) wait so long before giving him a starting place? He did enough to earn another on Saturday?

b) People talk about loaning Conrad Logan out and I'd think there'd be a queue of takers led by Boston who tried hard enough to buy him and would clealry love to have him back. He made a couple of good saves and one terrific block at a vital time. Everything he did was positive and his handling and kicking looked confident. Like O'Grady, it was as good as I've seen for a while. Can't Douglas go on loan?

I'm less convinced. There were communication issues with defenders all night which might have been punished by better teams than Macc. Agree with you on the saves though.

c) Clearly RK and MS had talked about playing the ball to feet, including crosses. We really did retain possession well up front, moving the ball from side to side. Macclesfield resisted for a while but were passed to exhaustion in the end and City might well have had four or five.

Some seemed more comfortable with passing the ball than others. Maybury was prone to too much hoofing in the first half and Hume gave the ball away with disturbing frequency in the second. Even so, the general tone was positive and let's hope we see more of it in league games.

d) There was no suggestion of score one and hold out. I've rarely seen so many give and goes from so many Leicester players.

Indeed - it's a trend that should be continued.

e) Gareth Williams looked so much more involved surrounded by more players passing to feet

We should expect no less. He was still irritatingly sloppy at times though, and Weso and Porter had to do his running for him.

f) I've no idea what happened to Stearman recently but he was back to his very best tonight, defending crisply and supporting the attacks with enthusiasm.

Too right.. :thumbup: Maybe he heard Spurs scouts were in the crowd. :devil:lol

g) Levi completed a satisfactory home debut, making a goal, almost grabbing one himself on three occasions and laying several excellent chances on for others.

I thought he was class. He deserves to start on Saturday whether Tiatto's fit or not.

h) A second successive clean sheet (though a bit lucky first 20 minutes), another cup game to look forward too and two wins and a draw in the last three.

Things are moving in the right direction. The boo-merchants on this and other FOXES boards have fallen notably silent. Long may they remain so.

Yes, I know it was only Macclesfield. They were our opponents tonight and already there's plenty of teams been eliminated by just such as Macclesfield so it was a job satisfactorily completed and with a bit of style that augers well for the future.

Rob Kelly got the tactics spot on tonight, unlike plenty of other managers in our league (Jones, Cotterrill and Turnip to name but three). We're quick to dish out stick to him when we feel he deserves it. How about a bit of praise for a job well done? :clap:

Agreed - why did RK (and predecessors) wait so long before giving him a starting place? He did enough to earn another on Saturday?

I'm less convinced. There were communication issues with defenders all night which might have been punished by better teams than Macc. Agree with you on the saves though.

Some seemed more comfortable with passing the ball than others. Maybury was prone to too much hoofing in the first half and Hume gave the ball away with disturbing frequency in the second. Even so, the general tone was positive and let's hope we see more of it in league games.

Indeed - it's a trend that should be continued.

We should expect no less. He was still irritatingly sloppy at times though, and Weso and Porter had to do his running for him.

Too right.. :thumbup: Maybe he heard Spurs scouts were in the crowd. :devil:lol

I thought he was class. He deserves to start on Saturday whether Tiatto's fit or not.

Things are moving in the right direction. The boo-merchants on this and other FOXES boards have fallen notably silent. Long may they remain so.

Rob Kelly got the tactics spot on tonight, unlike plenty of other managers in our league (Jones, Cotterrill and Turnip to name but three). We're quick to dish out stick to him when we feel he deserves it. How about a bit of praise for a job well done? :clap:

And Mike Stowell. He was out there urging Levi to keep the width or to make sure someone else made the width when he came inside. Macclesfield clearly detailed the right back to mark him closely and it was only when he interchange with O'Grady that Macclesfield's defence started getting bewildered. Levi and O'Grady always seem to link well when I've seen them.

Just something I thought was interesting, MS seems quite vocal during games. He appears to be barking the orders to the squad a little more than Rob himself.

Is that a fair observation? I can only go by what Barber tells me, and as we all know, that's hardly a reliable, accurate source of in-game information... :P

Ye, that's fair. Until RK sends him back to the dugout for clashing with the opposition officials which has happened twice recently!!! :whistle:

They both come out but Mike seems the more animated.

Yeah from listening to the game on the web, I do recall MS going up-close-and-personal with a few opposition coaches in recent weeks.

Seems to be a bit of a hot-head...

Is it a passion thing, or is he just pissed off all the time? :P

Ye, that's fair. Until RK sends him back to the dugout for clashing with the opposition officials which has happened twice recently!!! :whistle:

They both come out but Mike seems the more animated.

Future gaffer maybe???

Mike Stowell is vocal when on the touchline but I wouldn't say he's any more or less passionate than Rob. He just shows it in a different way. Rob does seem like a more calm person but he can make himself heard when he wants to be, that's for sure. It's good that during matches Rob can stay mostly calm and make decisions with a clear head and I think that the players need a mixture of the pair.

They work well together because most of all they know each other and are happy to work with each other. Was Levein happy with Rob as his number two? I'm not sure myself.

Did anyone see MS protesting to the fourth official about the Hume high foot incident?? Haha, it was well funny. :D

Also what was even funnier was when Macclesfield fans thought they scored everyone around where i was sitting was laughing.

Mike Stowell is vocal when on the touchline but I wouldn't say he's any more or less passionate than Rob. He just shows it in a different way. Rob does seem like a more calm person but he can make himself heard when he wants to be, that's for sure. It's good that during matches Rob can stay mostly calm and make decisions with a clear head and I think that the players need a mixture of the pair.

They work well together because most of all they know each other and are happy to work with each other. Was Levein happy with Rob as his number two? I'm not sure myself.

I think CL + RK wasn't as good because their behaviour on the touchline is very similar. They seem quite calm, they're not always in a flap at every single decision, and they're not the most vocal all the time.

RK and MS sounds like a good pairing. The cool collected boss, and the angry, vocal assistant who goes around ruffling feathers. I think it helps that they were doing all the work themselves when they first took over - no other coaches on hand, so they were 'in it together' so to speak, so must have built up a good working relationship then.

Actually, I'm quite pleased MS takes such an active interest in the games. I was worried that as he was only a goalkeeping coach before, he'd keep a low profile during games. But he's actually taken his assistant's role on board and making himself known, which is something I don't think RK did too much when he was number 2 (perhaps because he wasn't CL's man or whatever).

Still, it's highly amusing to hear MS is having a go at people from time to time - going head to head with Cotteril sounded fun. :P

Levein seemed so stubborn. He would repeat the same mistakes time and again It must have been hard working with him.

Rob does seem prepared to adjust things if they're not working. He obviously has a favoured framework and like Levein, certain players he likes to accommodate but he does seem to be slowly improving the side and taking us forward and MS is obviously deeply involved in helping with that.

I've noticed tonight that the Academy fixtures have been published on the OS. Presumably they remain open to the public or are they now behiond closed doors as well? Would yuou know JBF?.

Levein seemed so stubborn. He would repeat the same mistakes time and again It must have been hard working with him.

Rob does seem prepared to adjust things if they're not working. He obviously has a favoured framework and like Levein, certain players he likes to accommodate but he does seem to be slowly improving the side and taking us forward and MS is obviously deeply involved in helping with that.

I've noticed tonight that the Academy fixtures have been published on the OS. Presumably they remain open to the public or are they now behiond closed doors as well? Would yuou know JBF?.

I should think they'll be open to the public still. Might send an e-mail to Peter Jones first though to make sure.

Rob was in the stands a fair bit under Levein. Some people may say that he was performing an important job. I think it was the easiest way for Levein to get Kelly out of the way during games. It was clear that he had the coaching team that he wanted with him on the bench and Kelly was just a forced extra. Houston was Levein's "yes" man whereas I don't think RK would've been as easy going with certain ideas if his opinions were valued enough.

I should think they'll be open to the public still. Might send an e-mail to Peter Jones first though to make sure.

Rob was in the stands a fair bit under Levein. Some people may say that he was performing an important job. I think it was the easiest way for Levein to get Kelly out of the way during games. It was clear that he had the coaching team that he wanted with him on the bench and Kelly was just a forced extra. Houston was Levein's "yes" man whereas I don't think RK would've been as easy going with certain ideas if his opinions were valued enough.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Although in fairness, sometimes CL would hide in the stands and Rob would be on the bench... so actually, CL might just not wanted to have been within a few meters of RK at all. :P

I think your assistant should be on the bench with you, though, he's there to assist. The coaches are mostly for preparing the players, not dealing in-game stuff. So it's a bit suspect that Rob was often in the stands when the likes of Houston were on the bench...

Thought individuals such as O'Grady, Porter and Logan did themselves no harm but as a team perofrmance it was fairly shambolic. The rare occasions we decided to pass the ball and move we were far too good for them, sadly we too often resorted to the sort fo long ball tripe we have been all season.

Thought McAuley and Williams looked like they found their level too. The former was clumbsy and totally unassured the latter innocuous for the entirety of the first half

I think we played well as a TEAM. Logan, O'Grady, Porter and McAuley standed out though. On another day we would have 5 or 6. It dosent really matter if we win 6 or 1-0 in the cups as theirs no prizes for goals so a nice comftable win will do me.

wasn't very exciting to watch but we played well and produced some good passing football. O Grady, Logan and Porter we're great to watch. Please he played a balance of first team and fringe players, I wonder if O Grady will get a league start now?

Am I the only one who wasn't overly impressed?

We did ok in fits and starts, but overall I didn't think we were that much better than the opposition.

Archived