Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Grounds for optimism

Am I the only one who wasn't overly impressed?

We did ok in fits and starts, but overall I didn't think we were that much better than the opposition.

No, I wasn't either, well certainly not as much as some on here. I'd call it a professional performance, but it wasn't wonderful and it wasn't as fluent as some were making it out to be. But it was a win.

Logan should be first choice now, thought he did well enough and I was more confident with him than Henderson who is rubbish.

When 38 year old Brightwell was the best player on show something wasn't right and a few of our players demonstrated exactly what I knew already, they are lower league players.

Saturday will be a totally different examination as Southend are a quality side.

I'd be tempted to go with a back 5 of:

GK - Logan

RB - Maybury

CD - Kisnorbo

CD - Kenton

LB - Johansson

McAuley isn't good enough and McCarthey isn't better than either Kenton or Kisnorbo and seeing as Sheehan has fallen off the map it leaves us with NEJ as full back.

When 38 year old Brightwell was the best player on show something wasn't right and a few of our players demonstrated exactly what I knew already, they are lower league players.

But surely the fact they play for us, currently a lower league club, makes them lower league players by definition? :doh:

Or do the rules of logic work differently on your planet? :unsure:

But surely the fact they play for us, currently a lower league club, makes them lower league players by definition? :doh:

Or do the rules of logic work differently on your planet? :unsure:

Hmmmm, we are in the second tier, they are in the 4th tier of the professional game I reckon that makes them lower league in comparison to us.

But I see your argumentitive point though :thumbup::D

No, I wasn't either, well certainly not as much as some on here. I'd call it a professional performance, but it wasn't wonderful and it wasn't as fluent as some were making it out to be. But it was a win.

Logan should be first choice now, thought he did well enough and I was more confident with him than Henderson who is rubbish.

Saturday will be a totally different examination as Southend are a quality side.

I'd be tempted to go with a back 5 of:

GK - Logan

RB - Maybury

CD - Kisnorbo

CD - Kenton

LB - Johansson

McAuley isn't good enough and McCarthey isn't better than either Kenton or Kisnorbo and seeing as Sheehan has fallen off the map it leaves us with NEJ as full back.

I'm nervous of things you say about footballers.

Didn't you also say O'Grady wasn't up to much? You and I must have been watching a different player.

We seem to agree about Logan and McAuley and it was our good fortune McCarthy didn't give the game away in the first half so I understand your statement there - though McCarthy has got two goals and that, though perhaps unexpected, is, next to passing, central to my philosophy.

Anyway that back four would take us nowhere and certainly not anywhere near the Premiership. Proper attacking football starts with distribution and support from the back line. There is no effective halfway house.

Anything less is called bodging.

Leicester's best ever team (by a distance) had people like centre-back Ian King, full-back Richie Norman and wing halves Frank McLintock and Colin Appleton who were outstanding passers and supporters of the attack as well as tenacious defenders. You have only one player who is even vaguelly attack minded in your back four.

Kelly has chanced his arm by introducing young players in recent months who have one thing in common ...they can all pass. They need to be surrounded by others who can do he same, at least as far as possible.

I've no idea what's happened to Sheehan. He was there last night in his suit with Dodds.

Whether he's the long term answer I'm not certain because my conviction has been tempered by his apparent reaction to difficulties, by the fact that (presumably) good judges clearly still have doubts, and by the problem that we hardly ever see him now.

I've never thought him faultless by any means. There's much work to do. But the pluses still outweigh the minuses and all his rivals have weaknesses too, but their's are permanent.

If not Sheehan, Kelly will have to find someone else or the weakness will remain. A Ben Thatcher, Graham LeSaux sort. But there aren't many around.

I'm nervous of things you say about footballers.

Didn't you also say O'Grady wasn't up to much? You and I must have been watching a different player.

We seem to agree about Logan and McAuley and it was our good fortune McCarthy didn't give the game away in the first half so I understand your statement there - though McCarthy has got two goals and that, though perhaps unexpected, is, next to passing, central to my philosophy.

Anyway that back four would take us nowhere and certainly not anywhere near the Premiership. Proper attacking football starts with distribution and support from the back line. There is no effective halfway house.

Anything less is called bodging.

Leicester's best ever team (by a distance) had people like centre-back Ian King, full-back Richie Norman and wing halves Frank McLintock and Colin Appleton who were outstanding passers and supporters of the attack as well as tenacious defenders. You have only one player who is even vaguelly attack minded in your back four.

Kelly has chanced his arm by introducing young players in recent months who have one thing in common ...they can all pass. They need to be surrounded by others who can do he same, at least as far as possible.

I've no idea what's happened to Sheehan. He was there last night in his suit with Dodds.

Whether he's the long term answer I'm not certain because my conviction has been tempered by his apparent reaction to difficulties, by the fact that (presumably) good judges clearly still have doubts, and by the problem that we hardly ever see him now.

I've never thought him faultless by any means. There's much work to do. But the pluses still outweigh the minuses and all his rivals have weaknesses too, but their's are permanent.

If not Sheehan, Kelly will have to find someone else or the weakness will remain. A Ben Thatcher, Graham LeSaux sort. But there aren't many around.

O'Grady had a mediocre game against poor opposition, lets not make it out to be anything more than that for goodness sake. If the lad makes the grade in the CCC then so be it, but I think the opposition last night is more his level, he reminds me of Wayne Gray when he was at Wimbledon.

McCarthey is rubbish and McAuley is worse.

Kenton is at least comfortable on the ball and Kisnorbo is our best defender. Maybury is a proper right back and we don't have a left back so NEJ will have to do. Someone will need to explain to me what qualities McCarthey has because I fail to see it.

O'Grady had a mediocre game against poor opposition, lets not make it out to be anything more than that for goodness sake. If the lad makes the grade in the CCC then so be it, but I think the opposition last night is more his level, he reminds me of Wayne Gray when he was at Wimbledon.

Kenton is at least comfortable on the ball and Kisnorbo is our best defender. Maybury is a proper right back and we don't have a left back so NEJ will have to do. Someone will need to explain to me what qualities McCarthey has because I fail to see it.

He runs around and looks like he's trying hard, wins a few headers, could be worse on the deck.

Have you seen your caricature on the "Fans call the tune" thread?

Cos you certainly seem to be living up to it!

Eh? McCarthy is a good solid centre back in the Matt Elliot mould. Not seen McCauley yet but McCarthy shoul dbe one of the first names on the team sheet (not least because he's captain).

This board seems to go in spells of moaning about particular players. It'll be Weso, Hume and Fryatt next. We've got some dross at the club but a few decent players too and McCarthy is one of them.

Eh? McCarthy is a good solid centre back in the Matt Elliot mould. Not seen McCauley yet but McCarthy shoul dbe one of the first names on the team sheet (not least because he's captain).

This board seems to go in spells of moaning about particular players. It'll be Weso, Hume and Fryatt next. We've got some dross at the club but a few decent players too and McCarthy is one of them.

I have read some bollox in the last few days but to Paddy McCarthey is not fit to polish Matt Elliott's boots.

Elliott could control a ball, he could pass, he could man mark, he could sweep, he could play up front, he could tackle without selling his team mates out and he wasn't a sending off waiting to happen. It will be a cold day in hell before someone like McCarthey could even get to half of that.

Have you seen your caricature on the "Fans call the tune" thread?

Cos you certainly seem to be living up to it!

Oh woe is me.

Once again, I couldn't give a toss what some nomark thinks. Also have you read the drivel they spout? It's really embarrassing, I actually feel sorry for the inadequate as jealousy is a terrible thing.

I have read some bollox in the last few days but to Paddy McCarthey is not fit to polish Matt Elliott's boots.

Elliott could control a ball, he could pass, he could man mark, he could sweep, he could play up front, he could tackle without selling his team mates out and he wasn't a sending off waiting to happen. It will be a cold day in hell before someone like McCarthey could even get to half of that.

Didn't mean he was as good as Elliott (obviously not or he wouldn't be playing for a team in the lower reaches of this dire league), more that he was a similar type of player. IE quick to spot danger and a bit of a brick wall for opposing players to get past.

Didn't mean he was as good as Elliott (obviously not or he wouldn't be playing for a team in the lower reaches of this dire league), more that he was a similar type of player. IE quick to spot danger and a bit of a brick wall for opposing players to get past.

Sorry Chief, but I think you are doing Elliott a huge dis-service by even comparing McCarthey to him.

Are you ever impressed - bring back the Chosen Men!
Yes I am. It takes more than having to huff and puff for a win against a team that is supposedly 2 divisions lower than us.

Perhaps my standards are a little too high? Am I expecting too much from a football club that should be punching above the weight it is now?

Yes I am. It takes more than having to huff and puff for a win against a team that is supposedly 2 divisions lower than us.

Perhaps my standards are a little too high? Am I expecting too much from a football club that should be punching above the weight it is now?

Quite clearly YES Lisa - remember, Thracian is always right :thumbup:

"I have read some bollox in the last few days but to Paddy McCarthey is not fit to polish Matt Elliott's boots"

Funny that i seem to remeber you and others who are moaning about mcarthy this year praising him last year and saying he is one of our better players! so fickle!

Go COG you had a good match him and hume should start fryatt is off and needs time to recouperate!

From the sort of football and footballers you seem to champion I don't think you're standards are ever likely to be high.

Quite clearly YES Lisa - remember, Thracian is always right :thumbup:

I don't think we had the option of trying to beat Manchester United last night. We beat the team in front of us.

I've seen some shit in the name of Leicester City these recent years so don't expect me to condemn a team for trying its best to play the game constructively and don't expect me to apologise for wanting O'Grady involved and wingers like Low and Porter.

From the sort of football and footballers you seem to champion I don't think you're standards are ever likely to be high.
Come on then, name names. As far as I am aware, I have not championed anyone, so that is a pointless argument.

The fact that you still don't get it amuses me, however.

I've seen some shit in the name of Leicester City these recent years so don't expect me to condemn a team for trying its best to play the game constructively
Then you wonder why I might not be that optimistic?

It will take alot for Barton to praise Chris O'Grady because he's predicted him to fail from the off and as one decent game doesn't constitute to the lad making it, Barton won't want to look like he's going back on his word and fair enough. The way I look at it, O'Grady and Porter have been given a chance and each game they've played they haven't let us down. I'm not making any predictions on how far they are going to go in the game because youngsters can often be carried in a team and when they are sold on they eventually tumble down leagues such as Ashton, Stevenson, Campbell, Wilson, etc. I personally think these two have a much higher work ethic than the other youngsters that have flattered to deceive in the past and there's no reason why both can't play well for us at this level.

As i've said though, it will take alot for Barton to praise O'Grady because he's been in a negative mindset with him all along. I'll praise him if he plays well and criticise him if need be when he plays badly, but on tuesdays performance he did well. You can only beat the opposition put in front of you and they couldn't handle O'Grady. Plenty of better teams than us have been knocked out of this cup by teams like Macclesfield and they had more established players than O'Grady and Porter who failed. Give the lads some credit once in a while.

PS Don't you live 4500 miles away? You must be dedicated to fly over to be amongst 6000 fans watching Leicester against piss poor opposition. Or have I got you mixed up with someone else?

As i've said though, it will take a lot for Barton to praise O'Grady because he's been in a negative mindset with him all along.

Isn't BF is in a negative mindset with EVERYBODY at the club? :ermm:

Archived