Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Football Travel Initiative

Am I missing something? because I can't tell from this what the scheme is, ok you get a free ticket to travel to the Colchester game but what happens after that do you just catch the normal buses?

If so it's hardly a novel idea and I can't see it making much of a difference. or am I doing them a disservice?

Bus Company Launches Football Travel Initiative

0,,10274~2981915,00.jpg

With the new Championship season underway, Arriva Midlands is launching a new initiative to encourage more football fans to forego their cars in Leicestershire when travelling to City's home matches.

Arriva will be offering free bus tickets to supporters who usually use the car to make their way to a game when they register with a central hotline.

Those who register will receive free bus tickets to travel to the Colchester United game at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday, 23rd September, 2006.

Keith Myatt, marketing manager for Arriva Midlands, said: "Arriva has recently overhauled its bus network and this now offers greater opportunities for fans across Leicestershire to get to the big match and avoid the trouble that taking the car can bring.

"Travelling by bus offers a number of advantages when going to the football; you don't have to worry about parking and the risk of damage to your car will be reduced if you leave it at home Also if you fancy a couple of drinks there is no need to worry about going over the limit.

"We know that during the week many people use the buses to commute and we want to highlight that they provide the same cheap and simple solutions to the problems of parking and congestion at home games too. What makes taking the bus even more sense is that the popular weekly ticket also includes travel on both Saturdays and Sundays."

Tim Davies, Leicester City Chief Executive, added: "This is a great Arriva initiative and one that, we as a club fully support.

"We are still actively working to reduce matchday congestion and have already introduced various measures.

"We hope this initiative proves extremely popular and encourages more fans to leave their cars at home on the afternoon in question."

Cllr John Mugglestone, Cabinet lead for regeneration and culture, said: "We welcome Arriva's efforts in attempting to solve the problems that match day traffic can cause. It will help ease parking problems in nearby residential streets. I would encourage football fans to jump on board.

"Hopefully this scheme will benefit both Arriva and Leicester City Football Club, more people will be encouraged to use public transport, and the football club will be able to attract more people to home matches. What a great start to the season!"

Supporters wanting to take advantage of Arriva's car amnesty offer should register their details by calling: 0845 270 0602 or email: [email protected]

For more information on Arriva's new network services in Leicestershire please visit www.arrivabus.co.uk or call 0845 603 6087.

My mate said he got 2 free match tickets to the Colchester game because he lives near the training ground. :oWe must be desperate for fans.

I'd say we were. The atmosphere inside the ground isn't what it should be, and the attendances are well below par as well. Considering how skint we are, fans are even more important to us at this time, which is why we need all the help from them we can get

Archived