Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mack

Rob Kelly, firefighter?

Having seen the foxes a good few times since Rob Kelly took over I believe there is no doubt the guy gives 100% and his team try their best to the systems and selections he adopts.

I can help feeling though that the guy is 20% short of being a Manager capable of getting us into the top 6.

There just seems to be a spark missing.

Anyone agree?

Everyone has to start somewhere Mack, just remember this is Kelly's first managerial job, give him time to lay his foundation's and then let's judge him as a manager!

Look what everyone first thought of MON!

Last season he would have been considered a 'firefighter'.

We were deep in the shit, and the board called on Rob Kelly to get us out of it - which he duly did. This led the club to appoint him as manager proper.

He's no longer the firefighter - he's the manager. It's up to him to get things going in the right direction. Transition from firefighter to a manager to take the club places isn't a rapid one, or an easy one.

He's still on a steep learning curve, and I for one am willing to give him time to prove himself - and I don't consider last seasons game in that, because he had a different mandate then.

Personally I think he's capable of taking the club forwards given time. So long as he learns from the mistakes he makes (as new managers often make mistakes) he should be able to take us forward.

If he is capable of getting us out the mess he did last season picking up the points we did then I think he can get us in the top 6 next season I think this year is too early.

Having seen the foxes a good few times since Rob Kelly took over I believe there is no doubt the guy gives 100% and his team try their best to the systems and selections he adopts.

I can help feeling though that the guy is 20% short of being a Manager capable of getting us into the top 6.

Anyone agree?

I do agree partially with you there. However I think the club's players rather than the manager are 20% short of the quality and consistency to get us into the top six.

I do agree partially with you there. However I think the club's players rather than the mamager are 20% short of the quality and consistency to get us into the top six.

Interesting spin on things - and I think you have a point.

RK might have what it takes - he turned last season around when he took over, when the drop was looking almost a foregone conclusion. He inspired the same squad (broadly speaking) to turn the team's performances around. We currently have essentially the same team that was leading us towards relegation - perhaps a sign that it is they, afterall, who are lacking the edge to take us forwards.

Sure, two managers led the team in different directions, but you have to wonder how a team full of 'decent' players managed to allow themselves to tumble down the league - even if they weren't managed entirely effectively...

Interesting spin on things - and I think you have a point.

RK might have what it takes - he turned last season around when he took over, when the drop was looking almost a foregone conclusion. He inspired the same squad (broadly speaking) to turn the team's performances around. We currently have essentially the same team that was leading us towards relegation - perhaps a sign that it is they, afterall, who are lacking the edge to take us forwards.

Sure, two managers led the team in different directions, but you have to wonder how a team full of 'decent' players managed to allow themselves to tumble down the league - even if they weren't managed entirely effectively...

Sometimes it's just little changes that make the difference.

Levein concerned himself with avoiding defeat, which was reflected in his results. We never seemed to field a consistent side, and the players he did tend to favour [sylla, Hamill, de Vries, Hammond and Kisnorbo (in midfield)] didn't provide us with much cutting edge going forward. Hence why we struggled to score goals and ended up with far too many draws and narrow losses.

Kelly came in, fielded a consistent side, along with making a few alterations and we started to pick up results. Kisnorbo showed he was an excellent centreback, Stearman and Maybury provided us with a fluid right side, and Hume and Fryatt gave us better options upfront.

Anyone agree?

I agree 100%.

Sometimes I think we have more than a spark and are going to ignite soon.

But something is always missing - the flow and confidence that comes with knowing that every place in the side is filled by someone who compliments the end result.

We remain a team that is misfiring slightly and which therefore fails to fully express itself.

Kelly knows it and has to make allowances.

Eventually he will have to fine-tune that engine if he is ever to have real pride in his product.

You can tell by his first two team selections this season that it won't always be easy for him.

Anyone agree?

Typical Leicester fan :cry: lets judge him him when he is able to buy a team he wants!! think he a does a tremendous job without ever being able to spend a single penny on transfers.

Potentially the best since MON IMO now lets leave him alone to get on with it.

Rob Kelly is doing a solid job for you at the moment.The most important thing he is achieving at the moment is winning home games which is important and which you have failed to do for a few years.And because if this you will finihsh in a respectable mid-table postion this season.I had my doubts about you earlier this season but can see you grinding out a lot of results this season which you failed to do in the previous regime.

Typical Leicester fan :cry: lets judge him him when he is able to buy a team he wants!! think he a does a tremendous job without ever being able to spend a single penny on transfers.

Potentially the best since MON IMO now lets leave him alone to get on with it.

What does he need to buy a team for?

Last season he would have been considered a 'firefighter'.

We were deep in the shit, and the board called on Rob Kelly to get us out of it - which he duly did. This led the club to appoint him as manager proper.

He's no longer the firefighter - he's the manager. It's up to him to get things going in the right direction. Transition from firefighter to a manager to take the club places isn't a rapid one, or an easy one.

He's still on a steep learning curve, and I for one am willing to give him time to prove himself - and I don't consider last seasons games in that, because he had a different mandate then.

Personally I think he's capable of taking the club forwards given time. So long as he learns from the mistakes he makes (as new managers often make mistakes) he should be able to take us forward.

Spot on!

It's unrealistic to expect him to take us into the top six THIS season.

But if he can keep the nucleus of the side together, he may build a side capable of challenging for promotion within the next two seasons.

That's as much as we can expect given that we have no money to spend. :(

Spot on!

It's unrealistic to expect him to take us into the top six THIS season.

But if he can keep the nucleus of the side together, he may build a side capable of challenging for promotion within the next two seasons.

That's as much as we can expect given that we have no money to spend. :(

:o I'm shocked - someone agrees with something I've said. :D:thumbup:

I still have hope that we'll do reasonably well this season. Top 6 is a bit of a stretch and probably just out of our reach - but in all fairness, a top half finish would be a bit of a boost and sign of progress after being camped in the lower reaches of this division for two seasons running.

I think we could achieve top 10, so long as we continue a reasonable point-scoring pace. :)

He has done a great job with the Cattle he has... I reckon he's the best person we've had since Micky and was the reason we didn't go to league one last season.. Levein was too interested to getting the win, and not about building a team, Rob is about building a team... :)

As one person said, when he gets a team with lots of money spent on it and its what he wants, then we can start judging, for now, I'm just happy to see the Foxes doing ok, Kelly as manager leading the way and a team that looks like most of them are playing for each other, not themselves.

He has done a great job with the Cattle he has... I reckon he's the best person we've had since Micky and was the reason we didn't go to league one last season.. Levein was too interested to getting the win, and not about building a team, Rob is about building a team... :)

As one person said, when he gets a team with lots of money spent on it and its what he wants, then we can start judging, for now, I'm just happy to see the Foxes doing ok, Kelly as manager leading the way and a team that looks like most of them are playing for each other, not themselves.

I think the reverse is true, in some sense. Levein wanted to build a team. He never seemed to keen on the whole winning thing. As some people put it, for Levein it wasn't winning, it was 'not losing' (as seen in his use of heavily defensive tactics at Burnley, for instance).

I think the reverse is true, in some sense. Levein wanted to build a team. He never seemed to keen on the whole winning thing. As some people put it, for Levein it wasn't winning, it was 'not losing' (as seen in his use of heavily defensive tactics at Burnley, for instance).

Spot on there.

He always said he was building a team for the future(Not a very good one) but still. And it was more about not loosing with him. Hed rather sit back on a 1-1 draw rather than get at the other team and try to win it.

Levein's defensive tactics never really won over the fans,wheras Kelly's attacking approach will as fans like to see players like Porter and Ogrady running at defences.

the guy has had 21 games in management.

i wouldnt expect him, with no money at all, to get this club into the top 6. if he does then fair play. besides we were turned down by managers who prefered at the time to stay at clubs like luton, burnley and preston.

quite clearly because the club is skint. a top half finish would be an achievement. progress, bit by bit.

the guy has had 21 games in management.

i wouldnt expect him, with no money at all, to get this club into the top 6. if he does then fair play. besides we were turned down by managers who prefered at the time to stay at clubs like luton, burnley and preston.

quite clearly because the club is skint. a top half finish would be an achievement. progress, bit by bit.

You're right in a way but we really have got young players at our club who do have the ability to lift us a bit further than that and I hope they and the manager prove that point in the months to come.

To be honest, there's not a huge step between a good Championship side and a mediocre one. However, there's not a huge difference between a mediocre one and a crap one either.

How you go about making a rationalised judgment on a manager in his first job and with no money is beyond me. If he comes out of this season with a good side, he'll be the new Messiah, and if it's crap then people will most likely use the lack of money as an excuse. I think it makes his job a lot easier.

I would'nt call the job he is doing outstanding nor exellent.

I think he is doing OK.

Boothroyd at Watford last season you could class as outstanding, and that squad is weaker than the one we currently have.

Mike Newell at Luton did a very good job also.

I think some of you are undervaluing our squad. Given all the players fit and available this squad should achieve top 8 minimum.

I agree Kelly should be given some more time, I think we will know by christmas if he is good enough to get this squad in the place it should be.

Archived