Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finn Claw

Hume for Central Midfield

Right a few of us on here seem think that Hume could be the answer to the problem of a lack of any quality attacking midfielder at the club.

The case for; he runs his heart out, he can pass, he can score goals and for his size he is good in the air. We also have strikers who are capable of replacing Hume up front.

Pauls scholes and Rooney play in much the same postion but one is a midfielder and one a striker, i really think Hume could do it. Williams doesn't seem to want it and Hughes can't seem to last a full game.

Get the CM partnership sorted and we will have a reasonable side. Fez, Thac, come on back me up......

He would be far more productive in an attacking midfield postition.

1. He has the creativity to open things up.

2. We know he can strike a ball so would be partial to a few screamers

3. He works his bollocks off when he plays.

4. He's not afraid to track back and get stuck in when needed.

He has that little bit of something that can rip teams apart in this league , he needs to be in the team.

O'Grady and Fryatt up top Hume just behind = Good Times.

DO IT!

Right a few of us on here seem think that Hume could be the answer to the problem of a lack of any quality attacking midfielder at the club.

The case for; he runs his heart out, he can pass, he can score goals and for his size he is good in the air. We also have strikers who are capable of replacing Hume up front.

Pauls scholes and Rooney play in much the same postion but one is a midfielder and one a striker, i really think Hume could do it. Williams doesn't seem to want it and Hughes can't seem to last a full game.

Get the CM partnership sorted and we will have a reasonable side. Fez, Thac, come on back me up......

You cannot compare Hume to Scholes or Rooney.....

Can you give me some examples of where his passing has been of a quality midfielder standard?

I'll give you the workrate and finishing and thats he nots bad in the air for his height!

But i'm worried about the standard of his passing and distribution for a midfielder....

Do you really want the shortest midfield pairing in the league?

The point's been brought up before and I'm not sure its valid- both of them will win more headers than Hughes and Johno have done!

I think I've made clear the argument in other threads for at least TRYING the partnership. :thumbup:

I don't think the point about Hume's passing and distribution is too valid either. It's not like Williams, Hughes and Johnson have been setting the world alight with their passing so far this season. Hume wouldn't be there for passing anyway in quite the same way as a normal, functional central midfielder is. He would be there for a combination of his physicality, pace, energy and enthusiasm in closing players down and his ability to make runs and support the two strikers, both of which we have been sadly lacking in this season in central midfield.

I can't understand this clamour for Hume in the centre. He is not a centre mid. Maybe he could do a job on the right wing, as he once did for Tranmere, but to compare him to someone like Paul Scholes (one of the most underrated midfield players) is vastly over-estimating Humey's ability.

I am not saying he is a bad player, but his game is not one suited to centre mid.

I can't understand this clamour for Hume in the centre. He is not a centre mid. Maybe he could do a job on the right wing, as he once did for Tranmere, but to compare him to someone like Paul Scholes (one of the most underrated midfield players) is vastly over-estimating Humey's ability.

I am not saying he is a bad player, but his game is not one suited to centre mid.

Is that because you are used to seeing a central midfield represent Leicester City with no energy, attacking intent, goalscoring threat or ability to close down? :unsure::whistle:

I'd play a diamond (as much as i hated it when Sven did it) and play Hume just behind the front two with Weso in the holding role.

Hume would be no good in centre mid, so playing him at the head of the diamond would make him more like a deep striker, which i think would suit his abilities.

Free role in a diamond would be lovely in a perfect world but we're Leicester City, not Brazil. He'll get pressed back into midfield constantly and personally I think he can cope with the defensive responsibilities as well.

Actually sod that. Napoleon on the left, Max Gradeldinho on the right, G'day Mate Jesus in defensive midfield, we'll be sorted.

I don't think the point about Hume's passing and distribution is too valid either. It's not like Williams, Hughes and Johnson have been setting the world alight with their passing so far this season. Hume wouldn't be there for passing anyway in quite the same way as a normal, functional central midfielder is. He would be there for a combination of his physicality, pace, energy and enthusiasm in closing players down and his ability to make runs and support the two strikers, both of which we have been sadly lacking in this season in central midfield.

I was just trying to raise awareness that it needs more than just work-rate and energy to play in midfield Fez....

I was just trying to raise awareness that it needs more than just work-rate and energy to play in midfield Fez....

No I understand that, I didn't mean to sound like I was having a dig. Just seeing how many passes go astray in our midfield though, you have to wonder whether Hume would look so out of place. I think he's a pretty neat footballer technically for someone so quick. If it was Elvis then fair enough... But I reckon Hume would do a decent job keeping things neat and tidy in midfield and switching play. He holds the ball up and distributes it pretty well when playing up front. Who knows anyway? We'll probably never find out.

No I understand that, I didn't mean to sound like I was having a dig. Just seeing how many passes go astray in our midfield though, you have to wonder whether Hume would look so out of place. I think he's a pretty neat footballer technically for someone so quick. If it was Elvis then fair enough... But I reckon Hume would do a decent job keeping things neat and tidy in midfield and switching play. He holds the ball up and distributes it pretty well when playing up front. Who knows anyway? We'll probably never find out.

Thinking about it I dunno if he has the postional awareness and reads the game well enough, still not a bad idea to try it for 20 minutes. Something needs to be done.

They're all valid points but... Positional awareness? Reading the game? Are they really necessary to play in our midfield? :P

:D

Johnson and Hughes do have those skills to an extent, if they have been doing anything reasonabley well it is working hard and winning back the ball when we haven't got it, something that we might lose to an extent if we start playing Hume. With the ball they are both look very average overall.

In an ideal world we would go and buy a good attacking midfelder. But we have no money so will have to make do with what we have got.

My point is that, given our current resources, Hume has the potential to be a lot better who plays in the middle at the moment.

I'd like to see RK experiment a bit agaisnt Hereford. Perhaps a cameo with Hume and Weso in the middle

Williams should be able to offer what we all want to see from Hume - he just isn't getting the chances at the moment. Fair enough we were cr@p in those first two games but William's passing and creativity was one of the only bright sparks. Weso should be in there to hold and win the ball - Williams to create and Levi and Low out wide supplying crosses. I probably think Fryatt and Hume should play up front but I haven't really seen enough of COG yet to say for certain.

Archived