Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Kelly's Recent Training Sessions

If we're talking goals and assists, how many has Porter got so far this season, taking into account how many minutes he has played?

For all his bright play, zero. Read into that what you will. Ryan Smith was lively but never seemed to contribute in terms of goals and assists. We need Porter to start scoring and laying on goals. We need the forwards to take the chances he creates. I know this is stating the obvious, the point I'm trying to make is that having a certain amount of creative players in the side does not guarantee you goals. Gudjonsson was viewed primarily as a defensive midfielder during his time here yet he scored or assisted 18 goals last season. I doubt any of Williams, Hughes, Wesolowski, Porter or Low will do that, let alone Johnson. Even the penalties, we haven't had a penalty yet this season, you need to be in the opposition area a fair bit to get them on a consistent basis!

Well said. In Porter's defence I will say that since he's been playing the team has only scored 2 goals whilst he's been on the pitch and they were against Ipswich, in which he had a hand in Hughes's goal my making the challenge that led to the ball falling to Hughes. So although he should be helping the team score goals and create goals, he's looked the best player we've had in the games he's played. Against Southend when he came on he made a couple of chances for other players that you'd expect them to score but they glaringly missed, Hume and Hughes both did during that game after excellent crosses/passes from Levi.

He also looked our most attacking outlet from midfield on tuesday in the first half and i'd hope as time goes and he'll get more effective. Since he's had a run of games he's become more confident and started taking players on and getting the ball in to the box, I think he's got the basic skills to be a good player for us. But as you say, it's pointless him looking lively and skillful if he doesn't set up or score any goals for us.

Our main worry is the fact none of our players can score, we are creating chances so we do have players who are trying to make assists but they only count if someone sticks the ball in the net.

Well said. In Porter's defence I will say that since he's been playing the team has only scored 2 goals whilst he's been on the pitch and they were against Ipswich, in which he had a hand in Hughes's goal my making the challenge that led to the ball falling to Hughes. So although he should be helping the team score goals and create goals, he's looked the best player we've had in the games he's played. Against Southend when he came on he made a couple of chances for other players that you'd expect them to score but they glaringly missed, Hume and Hughes both did during that game after excellent crosses/passes from Levi.

He also looked our most attacking outlet from midfield on tuesday in the first half and i'd hope as time goes and he'll get more effective. Since he's had a run of games he's become more confident and started taking players on and getting the ball in to the box, I think he's got the basic skills to be a good player for us. But as you say, it's pointless him looking lively and skillful if he doesn't set up or score any goals for us.

Our main worry is the fact none of our players can score, we are creating chances so we do have players who are trying to make assists but they only count if someone sticks the ball in the net.

I thought he was very good in the first half on Tuesday and faded somewhat in the second. Seemed to have a slight lack of understanding with O'Grady when he came on. Still... the only alernative is Tiatto :pinch:

If we're talking goals and assists, how many has Porter got so far this season, taking into account how many minutes he has played?

For all his bright play, zero. Read into that what you will. Ryan Smith was lively but never seemed to contribute in terms of goals and assists. We need Porter to start scoring and laying on goals. We need the forwards to take the chances he creates. I know this is stating the obvious, the point I'm trying to make is that having a certain amount of creative players in the side does not guarantee you goals. Gudjonsson was viewed primarily as a defensive midfielder during his time here yet he scored or assisted 18 goals last season. I doubt any of Williams, Hughes, Wesolowski, Porter or Low will do that, let alone Johnson. Even the penalties, we haven't had a penalty yet this season, you need to be in the opposition area a fair bit to get them on a consistent basis!

I think he was involved in at least one, arguably two assists but if people blast his passes over from five yards or cannot beat the goallie one on one from 10 yards then he won't get many assists and the fact is down to that in part cos he's been easily our most creative passer.

However, the main thing is that like so many others both now and before him, he's not just operating as a left winger but is burning up valuable energy as a midfield and even a defensive cover. Just watch the places he gets to.

I've referred to it before and Low is finding the same problem as have others. Kelly has so little faith in our defence that he wants defence-competent flankmen and it's not surprising considering how easily our defenders and midfield give the ball away.

But that's exactly the reason we need to retain possesion throughout the side. It is exhausting for everyone to keep giving it away. We also need to get the defenders and midfielders supporting more closely and we won't do that while we have Hughes passing the buck and Johnson doing so little or any consequence in midfield and Nils requiring so much assistance at left back while offering so little that I can see in return..

Archived