Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Kelly's Recent Training Sessions

Correct me if i'm wrong, but last week wasn't one of Leicester's coaches quoted as saying Rob Kelly has been in his element the past 2 weeks on the training ground and the players have responded really positively?

I would hate to see how the players would perform after 2 weeks of intense training that they didn't respond positively too.

I love quotes like these, makes them look right plonkers.

It does make you wonder what Kelly and co do in training. Do they honestly allow and encourage the players to hoof the ball constantly in training? If not, then why allow them to do it in a match. Fine and drop the culprits, they'll soon stop doing it.

You can pass the ball around beautifully all week in training but nothing prepares you fully for what you will come up against during a match. Kelly made an interesting comment at the end of his post-match press conference on Tuesday night. He was questionned about the corners and he said that at half time he had told the players to vary the corners more during the second half. He said that the problem with some of the younger players is that you can tell them what to do but in the heat of the moment they will just do what feels right at that moment. I think one of the problems of having such a young side is that they really do panic once conceding. Everything they've been told to do seems to be forgotten and they resort to hoofing in hope. During training some lovely football can be played but the fact is that training is nothing like a league match in front of 18,000 people. They don't practice playing hoof tactics in training as preparation for a matchday. The biggest culprit is Johnson in my view. He should be leading the way with his experience but he continues to float pointless balls into the arms of opposing 'keepers, home and away.

You can pass the ball around beautifully all week in training but nothing prepares you fully for what you will come up against during a match. Kelly made an interesting comment at the end of his post-match press conference on Tuesday night. He was questionned about the corners and he said that at half time he had told the players to vary the corners more during the second half. He said that the problem with some of the younger players is that you can tell them what to do but in the heat of the moment they will just do what feels right at that moment. I think one of the problems of having such a young side is that they really do panic once conceding. Everything they've been told to do seems to be forgotten and they resort to hoofing in hope. During training some lovely football can be played but the fact is that training is nothing like a league match in front of 18,000 people. They don't practice playing hoof tactics in training as preparation for a matchday. The biggest culprit is Johnson in my view. He should be leading the way with his experience but he continues to float pointless balls into the arms of opposing 'keepers, home and away.

Are Nils-Eric Johansson and Andy Johnson young then? Kelly is starting to spout bollocks. Also, if the players are knocking it around in training but then hoofing it on matchdays then drop them and fine them for not doing what they are asked to do. They'll soon stop it.

It's not that hard, if Kelly isn't telling them to hoof the ball then he must stop them from doing it. If he is telling them to, or isn't capable of stopping them from doing it then he's got to go.

Are Nils-Eric Johansson and Andy Johnson young then? Kelly is starting to spout bollocks. Also, if the players are knocking it around in training but then hoofing it on matchdays then drop them and fine them for not doing what they are asked to do. They'll soon stop it.

It's not that hard, if Kelly isn't telling them to hoof the ball then he must stop them from doing it. If he is telling them to, or isn't capable of stopping them from doing it then he's got to go.

Read my post again. I said Johnson is one of the main culprits of lifting the ball off the deck when he doesn't need to.

Drop everyone who hoofs the ball more than a couple of times a match?! How big do you think our squad is? We saw on Tuesday how poor Stearman looked when he came on for Kenton. If that's what we've got to look forward to coming into the team following the removal of all hoofers then I can't see it making much of an improvement.

As said before, Johnson is the major problem in my book and Wesolowski could easily come in and do a better job than he is currently doing.

Read my post again. I said Johnson is one of the main culprits of lifting the ball off the deck when he doesn't need to.

Drop everyone who hoofs the ball more than a couple of times a match?! How big do you think our squad is? We saw on Tuesday how poor Stearman looked when he came on for Kenton. If that's what we've got to look forward to coming into the team following the removal of all hoofers then I can't see it making much of an improvement.

As said before, Johnson is the major problem in my book and Wesolowski could easily come in and do a better job than he is currently doing.

I know what you said, mine was a reference to what Kelly had said.

Kenton doesn't hoof. The hoofers are Stearman, McCarthy, Nissa and Henderson. Johnson also does some aimless passing. All 5 shouldn't play until they can learn to pass properly.

I know what you said, mine was a reference to what Kelly had said.

Kenton doesn't hoof. The hoofers are Stearman, McCarthy, Nissa and Henderson. Johnson also does some aimless passing. All 5 shouldn't play until they can learn to pass properly.

Out of them I would drop jonson and nissa.

Stearman can pass and attack aswell as defend, he proved that last season. Henderson is a keeper and has been one of our better players and McCarthy is the captain and our 2nd best centre back.

Bring in a decent midfield that give the defence options and we might see passing from the back....

Out of them I would drop jonson and nissa.

Stearman can pass and attack aswell as defend, he proved that last season. Henderson is a keeper and has been one of our better players and McCarthy is the captain and our 2nd best centre back.

Bring in a decent midfield that give the defence options and we might see passing from the back....

Thinking Weso and Williams as opposed to Johnson and Hughes?? :whistle:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but last week wasn't one of Leicester's coaches quoted as saying Rob Kelly has been in his element the past 2 weeks on the training ground and the players have responded really positively?

I would hate to see how the players would perform after 2 weeks of intense training that they didn't respond positively too.

I love quotes like these, makes them look right plonkers.

It does make you wonder what Kelly and co do in training. Do they honestly allow and encourage the players to hoof the ball constantly in training? If not, then why allow them to do it in a match. Fine and drop the culprits, they'll soon stop doing it.

Do you think Rob Kelly is instructing the players to play the ball longer or do you think the players are doing it against his wishes?

Do you think Rob Kelly is instructing the players to play the ball longer or do you think the players are doing it against his wishes?

I'm not sure, but either way it's unforgivable for the manager to allow this to continue without doing something about it. We certainly didn't do it half as much last season under him, so i'd say it's the players that are going against his wishes but if that's the case then he needs to show some authority and demand better.

I'm not sure, but either way it's unforgivable for the manager to allow this to continue without doing something about it. We certainly didn't do it half as much last season under him, so i'd say it's the players that are going against his wishes but if that's the case then he needs to show some authority and demand better.

Last season a lot when through Gudjonsson who had the energy and willingness to receive the ball at every available opportunity, not some past-it has-been with an early 1990s male model hairstyle directing traffic from the centre circle.

Last season a lot when through Gudjonsson who had the energy and willingness to receive the ball at every available opportunity, not some past-it has-been with an early 1990s male model hairstyle directing traffic from the centre circle.

I was gonna mention the Gudjonsson scenario, but I often get shot down. Your absolutely right. Yes, Joey had faults but he had energy and confidence to receive the ball in midfield and either run at defenders and push them back or make throughballs to our strikers, which are what Hume and Fryatt thrive on. Even if he gave the ball away all game, he'd still continue to try and make things happen and often his most productive passes, goals and throughballs would come after persistance all game and trying to make the break through.

I knew we'd miss him, he is the main reason we are struggling the season player wise. If we had him and Wesolowski in the centre then we would be able to compete home and away against strong teams, but Hughes and Johnson aren't ever going to do that on a consistent basis, if at all.

I was gonna mention the Gudjonsson scenario, but I often get shot down. Your absolutely right. Yes, Joey had faults but he had energy and confidence to receive the ball in midfield and either run at defenders and push them back or make throughballs to our strikers, which are what Hume and Fryatt thrive on. Even if he gave the ball away all game, he'd still continue to try and make things happen and often his most productive passes, goals and throughballs would come after persistance all game and trying to make the break through.

I knew we'd miss him, he is the main reason we are struggling the season player wise. If we had him and Wesolowski in the centre then we would be able to compete home and away against strong teams, but Hughes and Johnson aren't ever going to do that on a consistent basis, if at all.

Be intresting to see how many assists Joey got last season...

It's easy for people so slag off Gudjonsson (hi Phube!) or players like Savage for lack of technical ability but it's only when you have someone like Johnson playing for you that you realise how much you will miss that energy in the middle of the park, someone you can rely on to want the ball and to bite into tackles and generally make up for all those nasty bits of the game players like Williams will not give you.

Agreed. Gudjonsson did tend to get involved.

Having said that, I think he was vastly overrated..

He's been made to look good by the fact that our current central midfield is absolutely sh it. Our central midfield last season wasn't great and Joey was an almost ever present in that!

Agreed. Gudjonsson did tend to get involved.

Having said that, I think he was vastly overrated..

He's been made to look good by the fact that our current central midfield is absolutely sh it. Our central midfield last season wasn't great and Joey was an almost ever present in that!

But mate, he scored us 9 goals and got 9 assists last season. That's 18 goals in all competitions that have been made or scored by him. Will Johnson do that? No, and that's one of the reasons we haven't scored in 5 out of the 7 games this season.

Things are bad.

But mate, he scored us 9 goals and got 9 assists last season. That's 18 goals in all competitions that have been made or scored by him. Will Johnson do that? No, and that's one of the reasons we haven't scored in 5 out of the 7 games this season.

Things are bad.

Things are definitely bad mate. That's my point. Gudjonsson is much better than what we've seen from our lads this season.

But it's like comparing someone who is mediocre to a complete team which is bo llocks.

It's a moot point though, Gudjonsson is no longer here. We have Johnson, who, by all accounts, is sh it.

Things are definitely bad mate. That's my point. Gudjonsson is much better than what we've seen from our lads this season.

But it's like comparing someone who is mediocre to a complete team which is bo llocks.

It's a moot point though, Gudjonsson is no longer here. We have Johnson, who, by all accounts, is sh it.

Your absolutely right. Gudjonsson would probably get found out a higher level unless he managed to transform his game but at this level he was as good as we were ever likely to get. Wesolowski is technically better, I just hope he's allowed to play with the freedom he requires.

If we're talking goals and assists, how many has Porter got so far this season, taking into account how many minutes he has played?

For all his bright play, zero. Read into that what you will. Ryan Smith was lively but never seemed to contribute in terms of goals and assists. We need Porter to start scoring and laying on goals. We need the forwards to take the chances he creates. I know this is stating the obvious, the point I'm trying to make is that having a certain amount of creative players in the side does not guarantee you goals. Gudjonsson was viewed primarily as a defensive midfielder during his time here yet he scored or assisted 18 goals last season. I doubt any of Williams, Hughes, Wesolowski, Porter or Low will do that, let alone Johnson. Even the penalties, we haven't had a penalty yet this season, you need to be in the opposition area a fair bit to get them on a consistent basis!

If we're talking goals and assists, how many has Porter got so far this season, taking into account how many minutes he has played?

For all his bright play, zero. Read into that what you will. Ryan Smith was lively but never seemed to contribute in terms of goals and assists. We need Porter to start scoring and laying on goals. We need the forwards to take the chances he creates. I know this is stating the obvious, the point I'm trying to make is that having a certain amount of creative players in the side does not guarantee you goals. Gudjonsson was viewed primarily as a defensive midfielder during his time here yet he scored or assisted 18 goals last season. I doubt any of Williams, Hughes, Wesolowski, Porter or Low will do that, let alone Johnson. Even the penalties, we haven't had a penalty yet this season, you need to be in the opposition area a fair bit to get them on a consistent basis!

thank god Thracian is away...this would run and run... you little scallywag!

Fezzler, you talk so much sense it hurts. :thumbup:

Good question regarding Porter - is it that he simply isn't producing the end product? Or are others around him squandering chances he lays on?

:angry:

Archived