Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Southern Fox Home

My letter to Rob

I too have today written to Rob.

Dear Mr Kelly

Thank you for saving our club from a near certain relegation last season which would have seen us having to play football in a division lower than the club has ever been.

Whilst our league position and performances give cause for some concern at the moment, I implore you to continue in your endeavours.

In real terms (despite the delusions of some) we are a mediocre championship side, our potential stretches no further than that at present and some of us accept this reality. However, there are those amongst the crowd who having succeeded on Championship Manager feel better placed to manage the side and others who having watched our recent successes against the likes of Hinckley and Braunstone Working Mens Club Reserves would have you select a team of players not yet able to vote and only cleared to marry with their parent's consent.

Now, I've never supported another team and I never will so maybe you can throw some light on this for me: Do all clubs have a following that seems to have an inordinate number of people watch them that feel they are better qualified to run both the commercial and playing side of a football club singlehandedly?

Also, at training and behind the scenes, do you ever feel that you're being watched? It's just that plenty of people seem to be bang up to date with who's said what and to whom. They even know how you man manage specific players. Spooky really.

Anyway, please do what you can to turn this around.

Yours supportingly

Mr Hullfox

I too have today written to Rob.

Dear Mr Kelly

Thank you for saving our club from a near certain relegation last season which would have seen us having to play football in a division lower than the club has ever been.

Whilst our league position and performances give cause for some concern at the moment, I implore you to continue in your endeavours.

In real terms (despite the delusions of some) we are a mediocre championship side, our potential stretches no further than that at present and some of us accept this reality. However, there are those amongst the crowd who having succeeded on Championship Manager feel better placed to manage the side and others who having watched our recent successes against the likes of Hinckley and Braunstone Working Mens Club Reserves would have you select a team of players not yet able to vote and only cleared to marry with their parent's consent.

Now, I've never supported another team and I never will so maybe you can throw some light on this for me: Do all clubs have a following that seems to have an inordinate number of people watch them that feel they are better qualified to run both the commercial and playing side of a football club singlehandedly?

Also, at training and behind the scenes, do you ever feel that you're being watched? It's just that plenty of people seem to be bang up to date with who's said what and to whom. They even know how you man manage specific players. Spooky really.

Anyway, please do what you can to turn this around.

Yours supportingly

Mr Hullfox

Of course no manager has ever been a failure then :P

Not that I'm quite in the Kelly out camp but then I was never in the the Kelly in camp.

Of course no manager has ever been a failure then :P

Not that I'm quite in the Kelly out camp but then I was never in the the Kelly in camp.

There are dourists who resent all criticism of the team, the players, the tactics and any suggestion that there might be a better way to play. Some believe they are the only real fans.

They elevate the manager as some sort of sage who knows all, sees all and can do no wrong while ignoring the fact that numerous such sages prove themselves incapable of producing either a winning or an entertaining football team.

They invariably mock our young players despite the fact those same players have been among our better performers, as demonstrated week in, week out, by the player ratings. Players like Weso and Porter whose points records when they have played would have us in the top quarter of the table instead of the bottom quarter.

They pick out an odd bad game by such youngsters but ignore the fact that their own favourites rarely create goals and rarely shine in any capacity and afterwards collect the sort of player ratings from the fans which say as much.

Normally a couple of days after a match I'm looking forward to the next one but I've heard just about everything today and everything I've heard makes me more disheartened.

I've heard for instance that we lost on Saturday because the players were ill.

That there are people calling for Stearman/Maybury down the right again.

That Low and Williams should return in midfield (never mind that williams could never get match fit in a week).

It seems clear that good passing throughout the team, speed, energy, stamina, determination, directness, creativity, accurate shooting, numbers in the box and inspiration among the most important things needed.

How many of those attributes apply to Low and Williams?. How creative and threatening is Maybury? It's bad enough Kelly choosing ineffective players as on Saturday without us encouraging him to go even further backwards.

But still the same old warning is sounded. Attack = gung ho = risk. It doesn't involve any more risk than playing midfielders on the wing but even if it did, nothing was ever achieved without risk.

Everest wasn't climbed and man didn't go to the moon without risk. All we're trying to do is win a few football matches. But it seems to me that some fans are just as cautious as Kelly...despite all the mess such caution has got us in these recent years.

There are dourists who resent all criticism of the team, the players, the tactics and any suggestion that there might be a better way to play. Some believe they are the only real fans.

They elevate the manager as some sort of sage who knows all, sees all and can do no wrong while ignoring the fact that numerous such sages prove themselves incapable of producing either a winning or an entertaining football team.

They invariably mock our young players despite the fact those same players have been among our better performers, as demonstrated week in, week out, by the player ratings. Players like Weso and Porter whose points records when they have played would have us in the top quarter of the table instead of the bottom quarter.

They pick out an odd bad game by such youngsters but ignore the fact that their own favourites rarely create goals and rarely shine in any capacity and afterwards collect the sort of player ratings from the fans which say as much.

Normally a couple of days after a match I'm looking forward to the next one but I've heard just about everything today and everything I've heard makes me more disheartened.

That Low and Williams should return in midfield (never mind that williams could never get match fit in a week).

It seems clear that good passing throughout the team, speed, energy, stamina, determination, directness, creativity, accurate shooting, numbers in the box and inspiration among the most important things needed.

How many of those attributes apply to Low and Williams?. How creative and threatening is Maybury? It's bad enough Kelly choosing ineffective players as on Saturday without us encouraging him to go even further backwards.

But still the same old warning is sounded. Attack = gung ho = risk. It doesn't involve any more risk than playing midfielders on the wing but even if it did, nothing was ever achieved without risk.

Everest wasn't climbed and man didn't go to the moon without risk. All we're trying to do is win a few football matches. But it seems to me that some fans are just as cautious as Kelly...despite all the mess such caution has got us in these recent years.

i like most of what you've put, but for the last bit it was peter taylors lack of caution in the transfer market and the clubs lack of caution in building the stadium that got us in the mess we're now in.

i like most of what you've put, but for the last bit it was peter taylors lack of caution in the transfer market and the clubs lack of caution in building the stadium that got us in the mess we're now in.

I was talking about the football but now you mention it no wonder so many are still scared. :whistle::(

Purely from a devil's advocate position, your argument is easily countered. I'm not saying it's my viewpoint, I don't have all of the answers, I might not have any of them. Others should also see that neither may they.

There are those who do nothing but criticise the team and club, the tactics. Some believe they are the real fans

They promote themselves as some sort of sage who knows all, sees all and would do everything right despite never being anywhere near the running of an entertaining and winning football team

They invariably over promote our young players and put far too much emphasis on the ratings given by a low percentage of the crowd and indeed those not at the game

They fail to see limitations in their own fvourites and again rely on the ratings provided by a minority

Normally a couple of days after a match I'm looking forward to the next one but I've heard just about everything today and every day for the last month. Some of the things I've heard said make me more disillusioned

I've heard for instance that youth is the solitary answer

It seems clear that we don't have a multi talented squad to play like Brazil week in week out.

How many of those attributes apply to any of our squad

As Stez says - Peter Taylors philosophy was high risk. The stadium was high risk. Mickey Adam's philosophy was high risk. - The higher the risk, the worse the consequences when things go wrong. Ask Leeds United and for that matter, ask Leicester City.

Today I rec'd a letter from the club in reply to my letter:

Dear Spencer,

Thank you for you letter to our Manager, Rob Kelly.

The content of your correspondance has been passed on to Rob and he will duly reply. He has asked me to thank you for taking the time to write and for your continued support of the Club.

Yours sincerely,

Claire McConnell

PA to Manager

:rolleyes:

Do you think I will get a reply??

Archived