Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Southern Fox Home

My letter to Rob

Dear Rob,

Im 28 years of age and this is the first time I have ever felt the need to put a letter in writing to the club. Dont get me wrong I have seen a few poor teams over the years and many a lot worse than I currently watch every week under the supervision of yourself but im frustrated.

To put you in the picture, I am a young professional at the work place and not a typical terrace fan that would write in ranting, raving and swearing.

I wont be doing that nor is it in my nature. The reason I write is that I want to give you my opinion of the team and the views I hear from around me in the kop.

I live in the deepest darkest area of Kent. It is a 6/7 hour journey for me every home game and it costs me around £70 worth of fuel and together with the season ticket I have now had for years it isnt cheap attending games. I dont think anyone can question my loyalty for the club.

Firstly, it is clear to see in my opinion that we have the best 2 centre backs in this division. Both the Paddy's play with the passion and desire I would except every player to wear the city shirt to show but that would be opturmistic.

I have been impressed with Darren Kenton and on current form is rightly picked ahead of Stearman. He does ball watch but he has more positive attributes than neagatives. What has happened to our little superstar Stearman of last season. I still think the team is better with Stears in the team but then where do we play him. I remember several times leaving the stadium raving about his performance and how lukcy we are to have him at the club. A good player doesnt turn bad during pre-season. Is anyone sitting down with him and finding out what is going on in his head?

As for Nissa, it is clear he doesnt enjoy that full back role. His stature and ability doesnt suit him to that role. I feel sorry for him becasue he tries but he always struggles. I know what you are thinking though and that is but who else have we got? What about Sheenan there - can he do much worse?

Now Rob the midfield. The real reason why I sit here at 9.00 the Sunday morning after the Colchester game.

Here is the only problem why we are struggling this season (especially at home) believe me. All 4 positions across the middle are a joke.

Sort the midfield and you will be laughing this term. Whereas at the moment at home, it is losing us points and goals with a small tamper we could be in a much healthier position.

Let me make it clear, there is nothing wrong with the strikers. With Fryatt, Hume, O'Grady and Hammond they are on their day as good as anyone in this league. This is the championship remember and all are capable of causing defences a problem.

The midfield is a major issue for me and the reason I am writing the letter today. I dont want to add any pressure to you and hope you value and take on my opinions. It is criticism but constructive criticism.

The reason we are not scoring goals is that the midfield or lack of service from them is killing our game.

Im sorry Rob, and I know you signed him but ANDY JOHNSON is possibly one of the worst players I have ever seen grace a city shirt over the years. His performances I find extremely painful. Perhaps my words are too strong for this stage in the season but he drives me mad.

Why do we find it acceptable to have a player with his experience and know how to be such an enept performer every week especially at home. His passing his diabolical. His workrate is poor and marking is non-exsistant. I must have watched Paddy Mc giving him a rollicking a least twice for not tracking back. Watch the playback. Its terrible. Now the trouble is, our other options are limited due to the size of the squad and injuries but really Rob he needs a reality check and to be benched. Just because we have a small squad doesnt make it acceptable to put up with his performances.

I rate your ideas about starting again and bringing in the youngsters for a brighter future and with tha tperhaps you need some experience in there to make it a good mix but with AJ its not working. It is having a neagitve effect and slowing up any quick attacks that every other opponent has brought to the Walkers this season.

All his passing is negative and either goes backwards or sideways. How are the wingers supposed to get the ball and be creative when the ball is continuely being played back or to the full backs for them to hoof forward.

Rob he really needs dropping. Really. Be brave and make a tough decision and let him know we dont want a premiership passenger all season. He will get us relegated which may sound silly but good midfielders in this league win the battles and set up play and so far I have seen no evidence of that.

I have included some ratings (v Colchester) from fellow fans that watched the game and log their ratings and opinions on www.foxestalk.co.uk (see below)

Johnson - 0 (added NOTHING positive to the team)

Johnson - 4 (johnsons zimaphrame) - 3

Johnson 0.5 had to give him something for turning up to collect his wages. managed 2 passes straight into touch. really a useless signing on present form

Johnson 4

Johnson 2

Johnson 4

Johnson 3 (What was he for? No real support, no notable passes. Three is probably generous)

Johnson 4

Johnson 2

Johnson 3 ( passing was awful)

johnson 0 - cant pass only in the team cus williams is injured and kelly signed him

Johnson 2 - pisspoor

Johnson 2

Johnson 3 - Yes, there was a player worse than Hughes! How this guy continues to be in the starting line-up is an absolute mystery, he cannot hit a Leicester man with a pass and may as well not be there. GET HIM

OUT!

Johnson- 2. fooking useless. A defencive midfielder that lumbers about th pitch making few tackles and spoils every attack he gets involved in. PASSENGER.

Johnson 6 - grafted well - covered up for others mistakes a lot of the time and was looking for the creative move

Johnson 7 - Felt he was the only one holding it together

Johnson 0 - Dont get me started. Wayward or negative passing all game. Its a joke he is still in the team. Just typing about him is getting me cross.

When Josh Low was first blooded into the first team it worked. As soon as any of the midfield got the ball, it went over to Josh and his crossing was first class.

Everytime the ball went to the right he delivered a decent cross. Where has that gone and why are we no longer doing that. Now the poor sod has to win aerial battles from the long balls arrowed to him from the back 4. How is he supposed to put a cross in when its 7foot in the air.

Rob im waffling now and you are probably losing interest, so to summarise.

Henderson and Logan (v Colchester) and good enough for this league (forget Rab)

The defence is sound enough. Both Paddys are quality and we will probably have more good performances from them then anywhere else. Left back is an issue but appreciate with the squad there is only so much that can be done but I really dont see how worse Sheenan could play there. I would like to Stearman back in but with the head on his shoulders that he had last season not this.

The strikers are all decent. Stick with the same two and try to prevent changing week in and week out.

When you, yes you got us out of the crap last season, you played Hume and Fryatt week in and week out and a partnership was formed. Sadly that has disintergatred as you try to find something that works up top.

What frustartes me is that you are looking at the wrong part of the pitch. You could have Thierry Henry up front in this team and he still wouldnt get far. Living off scraps is now fun for Fryatt or Henry. Its the service from the middle or the lack of it.

Its the midfield that you and your coaches need to sort. Drop Aj and make him work on fitness. I cant watch another neagtive performance from him. It looks like the legs have gone. He isnt that old for god sake. Just look at Graham Kavanagh, a class act in this division.

Hughesy needs to beef up and get up for the fight. Check the videos and when he first joined. His passing and vision was inspirational. It has all gone. He needs a chat. He cant play wide so dont stick him out there just to get 11 decent names on the starting sheet.

Levi in my opinion is a bit too small for the league but could make it. Trouble is he is playing alongside a really negative midfield and that rubs off on youngster (another reason to drop AJ). When he gets to the byline whip it in everytime. Tell him that.

Weso is also struggling in an engine room with no fuel. He has real potential but looks lost on what his responsilbilties are in there. Boy to have Joey back.

I dont know what else to say about the midfield. I suppose this is your job and for you to do. Rob I believe you sort that midfield out and we will moved comfortabley up the table.

Keep it the same and we both are in for a long painful season and that is something we dont want or need with the quality of squad.

Im not sure if you reply to fans but would appreciate a reply.

Good luck for the season Rob.

Kind Regards

Spencer

[/font]

Your sentiments are fine, two constructive suggestions, edit it as it's far too long and run a spell check over it, I guarantee it will then be taken more seriously.

maybe he'll write back and say:

dear fan,

invest millions £ in the club and maybe i could buy someone decent instead of the freebees and nomarks i've had to get from lower leagues and out of contracts

yours, your most humble servant

RK

Agree totaly. I sit in the middle of the East Stand and believe our troubles are all due to the midfield or lack thereof. Anyone else from different areas of the ground agree?

It's strange you say that because although I know our midfield is the problem and AJ seems to be at least a yard off the pace and his man, sitting low down in the kop it is not that obvious. I've made a decision, i'm going to dig deeper next year and watch us from halfway up as near to the halfway line as l can get (and if we carry on with this midfield it'll be Yeovil etc).

maybe he'll write back and say:

dear fan,

invest millions £ in the club and maybe i could buy someone decent instead of the freebees and nomarks i've had to get from lower leagues and out of contracts

yours, your most humble servant

RK

And therein lies the real problem. Well said stezmeister.

If you send that letter it will probably be opened by a PA who will send you a signed photograph of Rob and enclose a slip saying "With compliments from Leicester CIty Football CLub". I'd be more worried if Rob did reply to your letter because if he's spending his time reading letters of that length from supporters and replying to them all then he's not concentrating his time and effort on the important work that needs to be done to improve us.

I AGREE COMPLETELY, we need AJ out of the side and possibly Hughes :ph34r: for a couple of games??

The board need to invest in a creative midfield or bring somebody in on loan???? Isn't Chris Eagles a central midfielder??

Why couldn't we have snapped up Alan Mahon instead of him going to Burnley ???

Also with Nisse, I remember reading on a Blackburn website that their fans believed his only decent position was at the centre of defence. He loses confidence completely at leftback.

As John Lennon said "All we are saying.... is give (Sheehan) ... a chance" :thumbup:

If you send that letter it will probably be opened by a PA who will send you a signed photograph of Rob and enclose a slip saying "With compliments from Leicester CIty Football CLub". I'd be more worried if Rob did reply to your letter because if he's spending his time reading letters of that length from supporters and replying to them all then he's not concentrating his time and effort on the important work that needs to be done to improve us.

Rob needs to read these letters as his total reliance on playing Johnson for 90 miutes week in week out will surely destroy this Club, as well as having Kelly finding a new job. If yo value our position Rob please leave the long hair git out of the team and at home. I dont want him anywhere near Walkers Stadium again.

I AGREE COMPLETELY, we need AJ out of the side and possibly Hughes :ph34r: for a couple of games ??

The board need to invest in a creative midfield or bring somebody in on loan???? Isn't Chris Eagles a central midfielder??

Why couldn't we have snapped up Alan Mahon instead of him going to Burnley ???

Also with Nisse, I remember reading on a Blackburn website that their fans believed his only decent position was at the centre of defence. He loses confidence completely at leftback.

As John Lennon said "All we are saying.... is give (Sheehan) ... a chance" :thumbup:

I never want to see that idiot in the royal blue of leicester city again! :mad:

Weso was terrible yesterday. Even worse was Johnson who is on target for a place in Leicester history as the person most responsible for our relegation to League 1 and destrucion of our Club.He never once passed to Weso and fails to properly link with strikers. and his pass to the sideline instead of to Kenton when under no pressure, well i never thought Id say it but get Williams on. Tiatto with a new hunger is a must to be included.

If you follow DavieG's advice that says exactly what thousands were reflecting on the way out of the ground and what so many people said to me this morning at Croft Car Boot. Genuine head and heart fans are in despair.

One of two mention others who didn't play well. Everyone has middling or bad games sometimes.

But there is one hell of a difference between making honest mistakeslike Kenton's own goal at West Brom, having good and bad against a decent opponent like O'Grady and Porter at times and not giving everything you've got.

In fact I'd be inclined to exempt all the City players, including substitutes, from criticism that they weren't trying - apart from Johnson and Hughes who were both an embarrassment.

Kelly should make up his mind what he wants to do. Lose them or lose his job. Cos that's the way it's shaping up and there are alternatives. I suggested Hammond, Hume, Weso, Porter but there are other options. Hammond has critics but what you are guaranteed from is 100% endeavour - whether he's in the team, on the bench or in the Reserves.

That attitude is exactly what we need right now. We cannot afford one free-rider let alone two sometimes more.

Your sentiments are fine, two constructive suggestions, edit it as it's far too long and run a spell check over it, I guarantee it will then be taken more seriously.

I would endorse this comment. I liked the preample, take out the ramblings and stick to the main point of us have a reasonable defence, some good strikers but get the midfeld sorted.

I admired the way you constructively approached the subject.

Rob Kelly, more than anyone, knows his midfield is not functioning. His problem lies with the fact that he's tried the lot and they all come up short. First there were calls to get Tiatto out, then Williams. Out they go and nothing changes. Get Weso in and play a winger, Low. Been tried and is failing as well. Now it's slag off Hughes and Johnson time. Try this...try that. Well, that won't work either. Why can't you see that the players are all low level performers? Kelly can't make a whatever it is out of a pig's something or other.

Rob Kelly, more than anyone, knows his midfield is not functioning. His problem lies with the fact that he's tried the lot and they all come up short. First there were calls to get Tiatto out, then Williams. Out they go and nothing changes. Get Weso in and play a winger, Low. Been tried and is failing as well. Now it's slag off Hughes and Johnson time. Try this...try that. Well, that won't work either. Why can't you see that the players are all low level performers? Kelly can't make a whatever it is out of a pig's something or other.

The weak players in our side have been highlighted for months. They haven't changed and that is the first problem. If you believe our manager couldn't make something of the personnel at Leicester then I'm relieved you're not our manager. I think there's lots of material to work with especially looking at the perfectly ordinary opposition we've come up against. In fact I'd say our personnel is quite capable of getting into the top half of the League but not if we self impose a handicap system.

Kelly can't make a whatever it is out of a pig's something or other.

Kelly brought two of those pigs bits to the club, he thought they were of the required standard then.

The others have shown flashes of ability ~ what they haven't got is the desire, the passion, the will. Compare this to Villa with DO'L and MON - it is frighteningly similar, albeit of a different collection of skillsets. All it takes is someone that commands the players respect and knocks them from their complacency.

...and our players need knocking off their self-made pedestals!

The weak players in our side have been highlighted for months. They haven't changed and that is the first problem. If you believe our manager couldn't make something of the personnel at Leicester then I'm relieved you're not our manager. I think there's lots of material to work with especially looking at the perfectly ordinary opposition we've come up against. In fact I'd say our personnel is quite capable of getting into the top half of the League but not if we self impose a handicap system.

Yes, Thracian, but my point was that Kelly can only replace the weak players with different weak players. In fact, if many of the scribes on here were honest, he has played most of their pet favourites and they still haven't improved. All except your fine suggestion not long ago that O'Grady should be in the side as an attacking centre-half. Don't mistake me for a Kelly apologist though. I'm probably one of the few who never fancied him for the job in the first place.

Kelly brought two of those pigs bits to the club, he thought they were of the required standard then.

The others have shown flashes of ability ~ what they haven't got is the desire, the passion, the will. Compare this to Villa with DO'L and MON - it is frighteningly similar, albeit of a different collection of skillsets. All it takes is someone that commands the players respect and knocks them from their complacency.

...and our players need knocking off their self-made pedestals!

Disco, you sarcastically slagged me off after the Sunderland game for spouting "bucketfulls of positivity" when I suggested in might be a flash in the pan. In the same thread you predicted a play-off place, I think. At last, brother, we have agreeing opinions!!!

Yes, Thracian, but my point was that Kelly can only replace the weak players with different weak players. In fact, if many of the scribes on here were honest, he has played most of their pet favourites and they still haven't improved. All except your fine suggestion not long ago that O'Grady should be in the side as an attacking centre-half. Don't mistake me for a Kelly apologist though. I'm probably one of the few who never fancied him for the job in the first place.

If you look again you will see that I withdrew that comment about O'Grady because I took note of something another poster said, who knew the lad. It's a pity Kelly's so reluctant to re-consider some of his views.

And an even closer look will show that my "favourite" team has never nearly been played either in fact or in principle.

I mention the the fact and the principle because my preferred team has changed slightly depending on circumstances/form/injury etc.

But right now it would read:

Logan;

Stearman, McCarthy, McAuley, Kenton;

Hammond, Hume, Wesolowski, Porter;

Fryatt, O'Grady.

That team could as easily play 4-3-3 as 4-4-2 or even 3-4-3 and is just about as fluid as we could get..

Subs: Henderson, Tiatto, King, Gradel, Dodds.

King could replace Hume as an attacking midfielder, Gradel could provide speed and penetration from the right and Dodds is a natural marksman. Tiatto's presence facilitates any defensive change (Stearman could go centre-back in an emergency) and he could also deputise in midfield or on the left.

Disco, you sarcastically slagged me off after the Sunderland game for spouting "bucketfulls of positivity" when I suggested in might be a flash in the pan. In the same thread you predicted a play-off place, I think. At last, brother, we have agreeing opinions!!!

Sarcastic? Moi? :D

Maybe, just maybe, I'll have re-found my optimism and enthusiasm for the game by Monday (because I sure haven't today).

I don't want to keep repeating myself in different threads but I have never witnessed a team play as the one I saw yesterday...it was a real turning point. My belief in the team and the manager was absolutely shattered...

Archived