Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Centre-back pairing

Which two do you go for?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Now that McAuley has made an impression

• Kisnorbo & McCarthy
    • Kisnorbo & McAuley
    • McAuley & McCarthy

Club captain.

Possibly our best player.

Possibly our most in-form centre-back.

Which two do you go for when all are fit and available?

Very tough. Would be harsh on McAuley if he was dropped but with the injuries and suspensions that Kisnorbo and McCarthy accumulate over the course of a season, McAuley will only be out the team for one or two games before he's back in again for one or two games. I don't think McCarthy is keeping his place in the team just because he's captain. I don't think he's done much wrong this season. I think having McAuley just enables McCarthy to take as much time out as is required. No need to rush back.

McCarthy is the most overrated player at the club. He doesn't deserve to be captain but then nor do any of our players. It almost seems he get's played just because hes the captain, i would go for Kisnorbo and McAuley easily

Even if he's not the greatest footballer in the world his commitment on Saturday is just one example of why he should be our captain. He kept going after that clash with McAuley and when the board went up with 7 minutes on it he must have felt like he couldn't keep going but he did. He had to have oxygen after the match because of all the blood he lost. I don't think he's over-rated. Fans can just relate to him because he plays with passion.

As you say it's difficult and it is hard to keep sentiment out of it because McCarthy is one guy you can guarantee is committed to the cause along with Kisnorbo week in and week out.

Another point is that we've seen so little of McAuley so of the three am I bothered which two. Not particularly and I wouldn't really want any of them getting unfit and being no use at all.

But the question begs an answer and I would choose McAuley/Kisnorbo. For one reason only and it is connected to my overall approach.

It is probably not the only way but I believe to win things you have to score goals and to do this you must have as many people who can score and create goals in a team as possible. That means defenders who can pass properly as well as be a presence at set pieces.

McCarthy's big weakness is his distribution and it is something he should work on til he's sick of it...winning the ball then passing it quickly and accurately. Also rollicking anyone who fails to do this.

Even in his slower games, McAuley's distribution was fine so, to me, he would add another tick to my team of passers. Please don't mistake this policy for suggesting we have a team of non-combative pretty boys. Quite the contrary. I want people who compete AND pass. McAuley does that.

Kisnorbo has the same weakness as McCarthy but, on balance, he's my nearly ideal last line. I wanted McCarthy as club captain and I'd probably want him back if his passing improves but, right now, McAuley/Kisnorbo are the best two for me, though we really do have a good choice for this League.

As you say it's difficult and it is hard to keep sentiment out of it because McCarthy is one guy you can guarantee is committed to the cause along with Kisnorbo week in and week out.

Another point is that we've seen so little of McAuley so of the three am I bothered which two. Not particularly and I wouldn't really want any of them getting unfit and being no use at all.

But the question begs an answer and I would choose McAuley/Kisnorbo. For one reason only and it is connected to my overall approach.

It is probably not the only way but I believe to win things you have to score goals and to do this you must have as many people who can score and create goals in a team as possible. That means defenders who can pass properly as well as be a presence at set pieces.

McCarthy's big weakness is his distribution and it is something he should work on til he's sick of it...winning the ball then passing it quickly and accurately. Also rollicking anyone who fails to do this.

Even in his slower games, McAuley's distribution was fine so, to me, he would add another tick to my team of passers. Please don't mistake this policy for suggesting we have a team of non-combative pretty boys. Quite the contrary. I want people who compete AND pass. McAuley does that.

Kisnorbo has the same weakness as McCarthy but, on balance, he's my nearly ideal last line. I wanted McCarthy as club captain and I'd probably want him back if his passing improves but, right now, McAuley/Kisnorbo are the best two for me, though we really do have a good choice for this League.

I've been disappointed with McAuley when it comes to set pieces. McCarthy's headers can be wasteful but he seems to get his head on most things none-the-less but McAuley hasn't managed to get his head on much in the opposition box as of yet. For a footballer of his size you'd expect him to win almost every ball in the air. I've seen some of his goals for Lincoln though and they seemed to use him as the focal point of set pieces where as I don't think we deliver particularly good free kicks and corners generally. I would still play Kisnorbo and McCarthy. For all the good passes from McAuley, I feel he is always likely to play a ball like he did during the first half that sailed way over the head of Tiatto and out for a throw-in.

Anyway, McCarthy's only a yellow away from a ban when he's recovered from his facial injury so I can't see McAuley being out for long even if he does get dropped.

I've been disappointed with McAuley when it comes to set pieces. McCarthy's headers can be wasteful but he seems to get his head on most things none-the-less but McAuley hasn't managed to get his head on much in the opposition box as of yet. For a footballer of his size you'd expect him to win almost every ball in the air. I've seen some of his goals for Lincoln though and they seemed to use him as the focal point of set pieces where as I don't think we deliver particularly good free kicks and corners generally. I would still play Kisnorbo and McCarthy. For all the good passes from McAuley, I feel he is always likely to play a ball like he did during the first half that sailed way over the head of Tiatto and out for a throw-in.

Anyway, McCarthy's only a yellow away from a ban when he's recovered from his facial injury so I can't see McAuley being out for long even if he does get dropped.

I wondered too about McAuley at set pieces and he may not yet feel he has the seniority to dictate which position he attacks. Just a thought rather than a conclusion.

Anyway as you suggest, it's not likely to be a pressing problem. And when it does press, it'll be a pleasant problem to have.

5-3-2 :cool:

--------------------Logan

------McCarthy--Kisnorbo--McAuley

Kenton------------------------------Porter

------Wesolowski--Williams--Johnson

-------------Hume--------Fryatt

Yes yes yes!

I like your style!!! :thumbup::D

5-3-2 :cool:

Kenton------------------------------Porter

------Wesolowski--Williams--Johnson

Yes yes yes!

If only. Altough I'd change it slightly...

Stearman------------------------------Kenton

------Wesolowski--Williams--Porter

McCarthy and Kisnorbo for me. McAuley has proven he's adequate cover should one be injured/suspended. But, that's all he'd be atm if both were available :)

If Mc Auley keeps up his current form against Palace and Villa he'll be VERY difficult to displace.

If only. Altough I'd change it slightly...

Stearman------------------------------Kenton

------Wesolowski--Williams--Porter

I'll take your 2 changes and raise you 4

-------------------Logan

Kenton------------------------------Tiatto

---------Williams--Hume--Porter

---------Hammond--------Fryatt

Subs - Weso, Stearman, Welsh, Henderson, Hughes

Shame we can't play all 3, really.

We could change the formation and go 5-3-2 (might cause a bit of upset amongst some sections of the crowd) or a 3-5-2.

I think a 5-3-2 could be good - we don't have much choice in the middle, so why not ditch one of the midfielders? Saves us picking at least one crap player in the middle each week. :whistle:

The fullbacks/wingbacks in a 5-3-2 would absolutely have to be very quick and able to support an attack in the absense of a larger midfield unit - Stearman and Sheehan (Mattock?) make most sense.

I'd love a 5-3-2 like that. We'd be different. It may look quite defensive, but with the right instructions, it need be no more defensive than our 4-4-2.

Out of interest, are there any other teams in our division playing a 5-3-2 - or is everyone into 4-4-2 and :sick: the dreaded 4-5-1? :sick:

I think this is a very tough propostion, we are VERY lucky in the fact that we have 3 very strong, at this level, centre halves.

As for making the choice, I might choose to sit on the fence, because on balance there is likely to be a vast number of games per season where the choice is made for management, and when it isn't I think they should stick with whoever is in the side, and playing well, when injuries or suspensions come along then that will shake it up, but the management have to decide who is showing the best form in my opinion, other than that there is very little to seperate them.

Half hearted response, but its just so hard to call!!

McCarthy is the most overrated player at the club. He doesn't deserve to be captain but then nor do any of our players. It almost seems he get's played just because hes the captain, i would go for Kisnorbo and McAuley easily

How can you say that! He is one player who gives it his all week i, week out and is our most consistent player.

Paddy and McAuley without a doubt in my mind.... They look solid at the moment

But which one? :P

I think McAuley is playing too well to get dropped so I'd bring in McCarthy along side him.

Archived