Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Kelly Salutes Foxes

Leicester City boss Rob Kelly said he was left feeling 'immensely proud' following his side's 3-2 extra-time defeat to Premiership highfliers Aston Villa at the Walkers Stadium on Tuesday night.

The injury ravaged Foxes showed enormous grit and determination to twice come back from a goal down to make it 2-2 at full time.

But despite their efforts City would go out of the competition on the night following a late extra-time strike from young Villa forward Gabriel Agbonlahor.

Kelly said: "You can only ask people to give everything they have got and I thought that our players did that for our football club tonight.

"Sometimes in life, on the odd occasions, you don't get what you deserve out of life. But if we keep working like that we will be fine.

"We fought until the end. That is the type of player that we have got. I never thought their heads would drop. I knew that whatever team we put out would want to do well for this football club and the supporters.

"I was proud to be part of that group of players because I thought they gave everything. You can't ask for anymore than that.

"I thought our players conducted themselves absolutely magnificently tonight.

"It is taking time, but we are moving in the right direction.

But despite his side's courageous performance, Kelly admitted that not everything he had seen on the pitch had been to his liking.

He added: "We had an excellent referee tonight who had a bad night. That's the bottom line.

"But I think it is wrong to be talking about referees because I think we should be talking about our players."

And one player that will remember the match for some time to come was young debutant Eric Odhiambo, who made the leap from the under 18s to the first team when he entered the game as a second half substitute.

"To be perfectly frank we literally didn't have anyone else. That's not demeaning the fact that he has come on and made his debut, but we had no other senior players available.

"Eric is still a young scholar making his way in the game. I work very closely with Jon Rudkin and Steve Beaglehole and he was the player out of that group who is doing well at the moment. It was therefore right that he stepped up.

"We are a young team anyway - our two central midfield players on the night were both teenagers - so we are into the next group down.

"But that's fine. That's where we are and we will get on with it."

Link.

And here's what MON had to say -

Martin O'Neill saw Villa squeeze into the next round of the Carling Cup and reflected: "That was a night of real drama and the important thing is that we're through."

Villa progressed into round four thanks to Gabriel Agbonlahor's late-late strike in the last minute of extra-time, after Leicester had twice come from behind.

And a delighted O'Neill told www.avfc.co.uk: "I think we went through the whole range of emotions tonight, but the important thing is that we're through to the next round.

"We made the perfect start with a goal so early on and then, credit to Leicester, they pegged us back twice.

"I felt Gareth Barry and Gabby Agbonlahor were terrific for us all night and, if we were going to win, it would be one of them.

"In the end it was Gabby who popped p with a timely winner, but it might just as easily have been Gareth, but for a sensational save right at the death.

"I'm not sure any of us would have survived penalties, but in the end we didn't have to worry about them and we're in the hat."

Finally O'Neill was full of praise for the travelling Claret and Blue Army. He concluded: "The fans were magnificent. I got a warm reception from the home fans and I thank them for that, but the noise from the Villa fans was absolutely amazing."

Link.

Seeing as they were surely the biggest lot of away fans we've had at the walkers, they were really quiet.

Exacly, i thought our support was a lot better, i used to think mon talked sense in interviews but he just bums his team quite litterally

Archived