Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

The CM pairing

Which two players should play in the middle?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Pick two central midfielers...

• Wesolowski / Stearman
    • Wesolowski / Williams
    • Wesolowski / Hughes
    • Wesolowski / Johnson
    • Wesolowski / Tiatto
    • Williams / Hughes
    • Williams / Johnson
    • Williams / Tiatto
    • Johnson / Hughes
    • Johnson / Tiatto
    • Other

I'm just trying to guage the impact of Stearman's performance. ;)

You'll see Wesolowski features the most, but I think it's a fair assumption that the pairings involving him are going to be the most popular by default.

I'm assuming Stearman will only be selected alongside Weso, if you think Stearman could be paired up some other way, pick 'other' and ellaborate further. ;)

------------------

edit: I knew I'd missed one... Tiatto / Hughes should have been an option and I missed it. Oh well, it's not like anyone was going to vote for that anyways.... if you would like Tiatto / Hughes, vote 'other' and explain yourself. :P

i put stearman and weso i thought they both did a fantastic job!

passionate, tackled well got forward and back and never stopped thought they were awesome cant praise them enough infact

The 2 of them were up 4 it, serious and smiling and laughing through the game. Both are best of mates and it showed. They had a ball and enjoyed every minute playing.

I thought Weso was brilliant last night and I will be very dissapointed if Johnson gets straight back into the starting 11 when he's fit.

I've just got back in to London and got to my computer, and what the fock is everyone babbling about? My hat is off to Stearman he was a great deputy and looked fairly comfortable sat in the middle, really showed he's a great all round footballer. But leaving him at center mid? Are you all barking fooking mad?

For large portions of the game we looked franky uninventive and lacked penetration and decent distribution. I think our heart and fight were magnificent last night but we were greatly assisted by the fact Villa were absolute toss. We scored from a set piece and a goalmouth scramble and the only other times we looked really dangerous was when Hume or someone had stolen the ball off their, quite frankly, haphazzard defence. Stearman's a great footballer and a great defender - but central midfield for the rest of his career? You having a laugh?

I've just got back in to London and got to my computer, and what the fock is everyone babbling about? My hat is off to Stearman he was a great deputy and looked fairly comfortable sat in the middle, really showed he's a great all round footballer. But leaving him at center mid? Are you all barking fooking mad?

For large portions of the game we looked franky uninventive and lacked penetration and decent distribution. I think our heart and fight were magnificent last night but we were greatly assisted by the fact Villa were absolute toss. We scored from a set piece and a goalmouth scramble and the only other times we looked really dangerous was when Hume or someone had stolen the ball off their, quite frankly, haphazzard defence. Stearman's a great footballer and a great defender - but central midfield for the rest of his career? You having a laugh?

The Villa midfield was toss because we never allowed them to settle all night. Weso and Stearman were snapping at their heels throughout the 120 minutes.

Unless you'd seen the dugout, it was as if MON was still with us. An injury-ravaged side produced heart and fire to overcome the obvious gaps in quality between us and our opponents. Just as we used back in the days at Filbo. And yesterday, as then, our main (only?) creative output came from setpieces.

Although Sterman and Weso played well yesterday they are NOT the new Lennon and Muzzy. Stearman proved his value as a utility player, but is too similar to Weso to form an effective long-term partnership.

But if we have to keep them together for the next few games, we should be able to manage.

Fair enough if you want to play a defensive game that's adept at taking what little morsels of chances you get; but why accept that? I quite like Williams, when he's with it he puts in some helpful balls. Why accept the odd set piece when you can make your own chances?

Fair enough if you want to play a defensive game that's adept at taking what little morsels of chances you get; but why accept that? I quite like Williams, when he's with it he puts in some helpful balls. Why accept the odd set piece when you can make your own chances?

I wouldn't write them off. To state the obvious, we were playing against an unbeaten Premiership team. Against Championship clubs, Stearman holding and Wesolowski being given more of a licence to push forward might work. I'm not saying it definitely will, but it was a lot more effective last night than any combination of Johnson, Hughes, Tiatto or Williams would have been in my opinion. I think we need to find a place in the team for Stearman, he's a real goal threat - while Kenton is a solid right-back. I don't think anyone would have selected Welsh/Tiatto, Hughes, Williams and Low as their chosen midfield against Leeds and Palace but they all did well. A lot of our players are much of a muchness ability-wise, it's just a case of motivating them half the time.

My other problem with this, is it means playing one of our best / most promising players out of position. Leave the lad on the right and let the midfielders play the midfield. Still sticking with Weso and Williams.

I think that's for the best. The problem we have is Williams seems to be more injury prone than Lee Morris at the minute and Kenton seems to be a Kelly favourite. Stearman at the minute is in the form of his life and has to play. If Kelly can't bring himself to drop Kenton when he's fit and Williams continues to get injured then Stearman might have to play at centre mid and I could think of worse players in our squad who get picked there.

I hate to do it, but I've voted Weso/Williams.

The Villa game was a great performance by Weso/Stearman, but I wonder if Stearman would ultimately get found out? Not because of any lack of ability, but he seems to have grown up through his career as a defender.

Williams is (on his last performance) the best of the rest, although his LCFC career has been far too inconsistent for my liking. You would hope that finally some competition might spur him into showing a bit more of what he can do on a more regular basis. If he does, I'll hold my hands up.

Based on this season, Hughes is not good enough (or does not have the desire).

I'm not an Andy Johnson hater and would happily have him in alongside Weso (or as a replacement if the wee man's injured).

Archived