Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mat_j101

Tactics are the issue

I'm not for a second debating the fact that we need some new players, but as we havent got anyone new in yet, i really believe that Kelly needs to change the formation, and heres the reasons why. And forgive me for ranting, i have to get it off my chest!

As it is at the moment, we dont have a tall striker at all (granted O'Grady is tall, but he isnt playing at the moment). Cadamateri is stronger than Hume or Fryatt, but not much taller. Playing 4-4-2 with strikers like that just isnt going to cause any decent team a problem. If the wingers get the ball, we have to rely on them cutting in and playing a low ball into the attackers feet, as its no good whipping a cross in to two small strikers. Plus, we dont have an out and out right winger in the squad anyway, which means playing Hughes there as a makeshift winger, who is OK there at best.

What we should be doing is playing a system somewhat similar to the version of 4-3-3 Chelsea played a lot last season. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that its Chelsea who used it, i just think its the best fit for the players we have. I would suggest playing the back four as it is, a central trio of Hughes, Williams and either Wesolowski or Tiatto as a defensive mid, then up front playing Fryatt down the centre, with Porter behind him on the left and Hume behind him on the right. This would mean they would play a bit deeper than Fryatt, and could get the ball and take people on, as we have all seen Porter is more than capable of doing (even if he cant cut in and have a shot with his right!!!). Hume can do the same, and often drops a bit deeper when hes playing up front anyway. This would reduce any high crosses into the box which are generally wasted on us at the moment, and also allow for more eaely through balls behind the defenders for Fryatt to run onto. Having three central midfielders also would allow us to hopefully win the midfield battle a bit more, as it has been a weak spot so far this season.

People say the downside of this system is that you lack out and out wingers, but i just dont think that would make any difference to this side at the moment.

Im sure other people dont think this is best, but honestly think we would play better with this. It wouldnt just cure our prolems overnight, but i think with some effort and given some time it could be good for us.

the main problem i forsee with this is that you risk isolating fryatt if porter and hume play too deeply, which could happen given a weakish midfield.

personally i'd rather see 4-3-1-2 with hume playing in the hole behind fryatt and dodds/hammond/someone. as you rightly say hume does like to drop deep and playing this formation means he can do this to support our midfield and link attacks while also leaving two boys up front to pose the threat...

I think its a little simpler than that mate and people need to raise there games for the rest of the season and not rest on the laurels. Lets hope MM coming in actually puts a rocket at the backsides of some of teh cruisers we have in the squad who are far more happier telling people in nightclubs that they are pro footballers but only occasionally put it to practice.

BTW having sold two right-wingers, I reckon Cademateri may have a future on the right wing with Porter on the left. Tiatto is too one dimensional to hold a place in the centre of the park but I`d prefer him at left-back of a 442 with Nissa being moved on for some cash before his contract runs out. Id keep trying the Hume/Fryatt partnership up front too as that IMO will finally gel and I would make the brave decision and drop McCarthy and let Kisnorbo and McAuley have a run as our regular centre-halves. I`ll also keep Stearman at right-back although maybe he is the solution at right-mid instead of Cada??

BTW I think we need some players in and Im ceratin they`ll come

the main problem i forsee with this is that you risk isolating fryatt if porter and hume play too deeply, which could happen given a weakish midfield.

personally i'd rather see 4-3-1-2 with hume playing in the hole behind fryatt and dodds/hammond/someone. as you rightly say hume does like to drop deep and playing this formation means he can do this to support our midfield and link attacks while also leaving two boys up front to pose the threat...

Yeah i could go with that. I just dont see the need for a formation with wingers

I'm not for a second debating the fact that we need some new players, but as we havent got anyone new in yet, i really believe that Kelly needs to change the formation, and heres the reasons why. And forgive me for ranting, i have to get it off my chest!

As it is at the moment, we dont have a tall striker at all (granted O'Grady is tall, but he isnt playing at the moment). Cadamateri is stronger than Hume or Fryatt, but not much taller. Playing 4-4-2 with strikers like that just isnt going to cause any decent team a problem. If the wingers get the ball, we have to rely on them cutting in and playing a low ball into the attackers feet, as its no good whipping a cross in to two small strikers. Plus, we dont have an out and out right winger in the squad anyway, which means playing Hughes there as a makeshift winger, who is OK there at best.

What we should be doing is playing a system somewhat similar to the version of 4-3-3 Chelsea played a lot last season. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that its Chelsea who used it, i just think its the best fit for the players we have. I would suggest playing the back four as it is, a central trio of Hughes, Williams and either Wesolowski or Tiatto as a defensive mid, then up front playing Fryatt down the centre, with Porter behind him on the left and Hume behind him on the right. This would mean they would play a bit deeper than Fryatt, and could get the ball and take people on, as we have all seen Porter is more than capable of doing (even if he cant cut in and have a shot with his right!!!). Hume can do the same, and often drops a bit deeper when hes playing up front anyway. This would reduce any high crosses into the box which are generally wasted on us at the moment, and also allow for more eaely through balls behind the defenders for Fryatt to run onto. Having three central midfielders also would allow us to hopefully win the midfield battle a bit more, as it has been a weak spot so far this season.

People say the downside of this system is that you lack out and out wingers, but i just dont think that would make any difference to this side at the moment.

Im sure other people dont think this is best, but honestly think we would play better with this. It wouldnt just cure our prolems overnight, but i think with some effort and given some time it could be good for us.

It makes some sense and a few people have suggested versions of this idea for some time seeing that the idea of our playing with a right winger is flawed because, forgetting Gradel, we don't have one.

But why have prefer Fryatt rather than Dodds as your front man in this line-up?.

Notwithstanding Fryatt's scoring record this season the idea would be for the central striker to know he has Hume and Porter running off him.

The problem is that Fryatt doesn't lay the ball off. He turns and tries to beat people often ignoring the runner.

My other point of concern would be playing three non goal-scoring midfielders. It's too big a handicap and one of the main reasons our goals for column has been so unimpressive for so long.

The system's fine but you've got to add more goals/creativity.

Those four midfielders you name have got five goals between them this season.

Individually they're all okay players. Collectively, they're too limited as has already been demonstrated time and again.

Until that weakness is rectified - and until we give ourselves a proper right wing alternative - I don't think we'll move forward, whichever system we use..

Archived