Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ajax Treesdown

Hughes

well you need at least one defensive player in there.

and an experienced head to stop the younger players from giving up!

Why do we?

We have four defenders and a goalkeeper - 5 very defensive players in a team of 11.

If you want another defensive player, why not play with 5 defenders and a keeper?

Thing is... the defence has been reasonably sound... and I'm not convinced that's because there's an additional line of defenders in front of the proper defenders. :dunno:

Although I like wingers I don't think we need necessarily play two - especially now Maybury seems to have regained his energy and shows a willingness to find good wide positions and because Andy King can easily move wide.

What I'd like is:

Henderson;

Maybury, McAuley, Kisnorbo, Nils

Johnson

King Porter

Hume

Hammond, Horsfield

That's not quite as radical as I'd like but it'll do. We still hit too many balls in the air so basically I'd want the ball played to feet and I'd want the speed and movement back.

Hume would tuck into the gap behind the front two forming a diamond, Maybury, King, Porter and Hammond would provide width and King the genuine surge into the box from midfield.

I would encourage Porter to do the same. He has a good shot and will support higher than Hughes or Jarrett.

This team would offer more penetration, faster support, greater speed and perhaps seven potential scorers including the centre-backs.

Standard 4-4-2 is unnatural to the players we choose, and too exhausting for their level of fitness. This team would retain the ball easier in the back two thirds whereas right now we give the ball away too easily.

This team has all players in their strongest, most natural positions.

Possibly not but I would consider it sometime before the end of the season, we are in no immediate danger of relegation anymore and the play-offs are too far away.

Your right. If we are ever to try it. Know is the time.

Afraid you've misinterpreted my post. ;)

I wasn't ridiculing Thracian at all (that's not a sport I play). I was merely pointing out that if you want to go for a proper attacking line-up, in Thracian-style terms, you need to ditch the donkey Johnson - whether with another academy player, or a more senior first-teamer (notice I didn't suggest any alternatives).

Johnson, it would seem, doesn't offer much going forward... and certainly couldn't keep it up for a full 90 minutes. :thumbup:

In my team I've tried to save Johnson's legs and given him the holding role at the back of the diamond. The thing I like about Johnson now he seems to be giving his all is he talks to people, tries to organise them.

Kelly made a telling point to. He said that Johnson has an effect on things around him that's not always appreciated. He's a bit of a joker, a guy who can relax people.

Using all that is fine but he can't surge forward a tribal leader all game as he's clearly demonstrated recently. King, Porter and Hume have the legs to do that. What Johnson could do is make sure the defence support as high as possible, particularly Maybury, so that attacks are sustained and no gaps develop.

not happy about the hammond the phrase headless chicken springs to mind :whistle:

I'm not happy in the long term either.

But with Fryatt injured and Dodds on loan there aren't too many choices and Hammond disrupts defences. He's perhaps a bit like Johnson in his own way - more effective than people give credit for and will leave gaps for King/Hume/Porter to punch through..

Hughes was a talented player at Rangers, doing well from central midfield and many of the locals had thought he would be a regular International. His problem was he always got injured so they let him go.

At times when I have seen him play it seems his injuries have taken there toll on him and his isnt as powerful breaking from midfield as he used to be.

What I would like to say is that all these people are blaming him for "coming in-field" from the right but he isnt and never will be a right-midfielder/winger. You cant blame him for under-performing in a certain position that is not his natural position.

Archived