Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Moreton

Richard Stearman just got older

Much of the time Stearman is baffling. He reads the game well enough, wins possession often enough but his distribution lets him down for no reason other than what he chooses to do and the shabby way he sometimes does it.

Stearman looks technically quite good at passing. But too often he tries the difficult ball or the floated half-chancer when a simple pass will suffice.

It is simple passes that will show Stearman at his best because his great strengths are having the energy and skills to continue a move from defence deep into attack and even to finish it off with a final pass or shot.

Stearman needs to get back to what people like Wesolowski, Porter and Kishishev do so well, near instant passing and quick movement.

Unlike so many defenders Stearman does have a trick or two and have can stave off a determined challenge with his skill.

But too often he lobs that 25-yards Johansson ball into places where it is most likely to be gobbled up by a defender and the higher you go in football the more fatal that is.

Stearman is a decent reader of the game and tenacious tackler but not especially good when attacked at speed or when he's been turned and is having to recover.

For that reason I think he'll make a far better centre-back than full-back and his most impressive game in my time watching him was with N'Gotty at Quorn. He will give us some mobility in the middle of defence and will be able to support in midfield as our attacks develop.

Which gives him a problem at Leicester because N'Gotty's been signed to play, Kisnorbo's a hero whatever and McAuley has done nothing much wrong and is good in the air.

Stearman's not a visionary so he needs to learn quickly to do the simple things again and ever more consistently - to be a young N'Gotty if you like.

Stearman is diabolical. Just don't rate the lad. Never has, and never will make it into my good books.

I still say give him a chance. Dunno if city players read this board but im sure he would have mixed feelings after reading this thread...saying he is diabolical is unfair, look at maybury/hughes then use the term 'diabolical'. There is just better and more experienced players currently at the club. Say kisnorbo and N'Gotty get injured/suspended during the season? he will have the opportunity to show his doubters what he can do. He's a leicester lad and a fan at the end of the day so you can't question his passion...

Archived