Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

The Album/Gig Review Thread

just been to one of the best gigs, real class and an intimate setting....

the guy is a genius, brilliant songs, great guitarist and a fabulous voice.

the man is Sondre Lerche, the venue was stallen, a cafe that was rammed.

he did a solo show which was just amazing, and he is very funny (if you speak norwegian) but the songs are in english, and he did the soundtrack for the movie 'dan in real life'

i doubt you'll get a chance to see him soon but definately worth checking out his stuff...

I've heard of him but never heard anything by him ill have to check him out. Glad you enjoyed it.

Daggers is a DJ? Legend!

Oh yes. And what a miserable bunch they were. No one responded to the flashing lights across the front of my DJ unit. No one responded to the mic "C'mon then, let's ave ya dancin!" No one appreciated the Jive Bunny collection. In fact, a more wank audience one could not hope to meet.

We won some tickets to see Katie Melua at Blickling Hall, Norfolk

Very much a picnic in the park type thing, with a young chap called Jay Jay Pistolet supporting.

Very good - Katie is so tiny but hot stuff. I certainly would... Oh and the music weren't bad either...

I've heard of him but never heard anything by him ill have to check him out. Glad you enjoyed it.

you should - he got signed to emi when he was 15 or something, and his first album (faces down) was held back til he had finished school...but you'd never know it

early stuff kinda jazzy, recent stuff - rockier with jazz chords...

oh, and looks a bit like you, actually - only cuter :blush:

Oh yes. And what a miserable bunch they were. No one responded to the flashing lights across the front of my DJ unit. No one responded to the mic "C'mon then, let's ave ya dancin!" No one appreciated the Jive Bunny collection. In fact, a more wank audience one could not hope to meet.

and as if by magic:

We won some tickets to see Katie Melua at Blickling Hall, Norfolk

Disclaimer: Familien Suffolk excluded, of course ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Bloc Party - Intimacy

1. Ares - More IMPACT than Elvis the ankle and leads fantastically into 'Mercury'. This could be the start of something truly unreal.9

2. Mercury - Grows and grows with every listen - heard it first on the radio and new instantly it was Bloc Party. Vintage Bloc and fantastic.10

3. Halo - A hark back to the riff driven Bloc of the first album. A solid album track and will be a grower definately. 7.5

4. Biko - The token slow burner to showcase Kele's vocal skillz with a new twist which im liking. Solid. 7

5. Trojan Horse - Lacks some of the pathos of Flux or Mercury that it promises early on but is still a quality tune. 8

6. Signs - Textbook glockenspiel action. That alone is enough for an 8/9. But it falters and splutters and loses its way from then and peters out towards the end. Weakest track so far 6.5

7. One Month Off - An album saver from the first note. TUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNEEEEE!!!!!!! 9

8. Zepherus - Im sure this is another made up word. Not a bad track at all and im liking the choir too. 7.5

9. Better Than Heaven - Another grower and more vintage Bloc Party. 7.5

10. Ion Square - Closer and another 'Little Thoughts'-esque slower track which you can almost see the live performance as you listen to it complete with dry ice and electric green lighting. Great track. 8

I can see why Fez likes this so much - the words are all utterly pointless and almost an afterthought to the music and beat. At under 45 mins its a short party but more than holds its own against Silent Alarm and easily surpasses A Weekend In The City. Builds on the promise of Flux and runs with it in the opening 2 tracks before falling back into being Bloc Party again. And im more than happy for them to do that. My favourite tracks are Ares and Mercury for thier instant appeal but i know full well that im going to continue to listen to this album and fall in love with every track in the same way i did with 'Silent Alarm' and i highly reccommend it.

This has gone straight on my iPod and will be played to death no doubt. Return to form and a definate number 1 album.

8/10

Bloc Party - Intimacy

1. Ares - More IMPACT than Elvis the ankle and leads fantastically into 'Mercury'. This could be the start of something truly unreal.9

2. Mercury - Grows and grows with every listen - heard it first on the radio and new instantly it was Bloc Party. Vintage Bloc and fantastic.10

3. Halo - A hark back to the riff driven Bloc of the first album. A solid album track and will be a grower definately. 7.5

4. Biko - The token slow burner to showcase Kele's vocal skillz with a new twist which im liking. Solid. 7

5. Trojan Horse - Lacks some of the pathos of Flux or Mercury that it promises early on but is still a quality tune. 8

6. Signs - Textbook glockenspiel action. That alone is enough for an 8/9. But it falters and splutters and loses its way from then and peters out towards the end. Weakest track so far 6.5

7. One Month Off - An album saver from the first note. TUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNEEEEE!!!!!!! 9

8. Zepherus - Im sure this is another made up word. Not a bad track at all and im liking the choir too. 7.5

9. Better Than Heaven - Another grower and more vintage Bloc Party. 7.5

10. Ion Square - Closer and another 'Little Thoughts'-esque slower track which you can almost see the live performance as you listen to it complete with dry ice and electric green lighting. Great track. 8

I can see why Fez likes this so much - the words are all utterly pointless and almost an afterthought to the music and beat. At under 45 mins its a short party but more than holds its own against Silent Alarm and easily surpasses A Weekend In The City. Builds on the promise of Flux and runs with it in the opening 2 tracks before falling back into being Bloc Party again. And im more than happy for them to do that. My favourite tracks are Ares and Mercury for thier instant appeal but i know full well that im going to continue to listen to this album and fall in love with every track in the same way i did with 'Silent Alarm' and i highly reccommend it.

This has gone straight on my iPod and will be played to death no doubt. Return to form and a definate number 1 album.

8/10

That reviews just convinced me to give it a spin.

:thumbup:

If the first 2 tracks don't hook you in you have no soul.

I can see you enjoying this actually as there is a lot of Hip Hop crossover evident in the music.

I've been told there make fairly different or unique music.

So I've been interested for a while.

• 1 year later...

Vampire Weekend - Contra.

Synthtastic. Holiday, Giving Up The Gun and Cousins are the stand out tracks upin first listen. Brilliant and natural progression from the debut album. Dripping in calypso, synths and catchy choruses aplenty. 8/10.

Vampire Weekend - Contra.

Synthtastic. Holiday, Giving Up The Gun and Cousins are the stand out tracks upin first listen. Brilliant and natural progression from the debut album. Dripping in calypso, synths and catchy choruses aplenty. 8/10.

How can you not rate Horchata as one of the awesome songs....agree with the 8/10.

Archived