Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

The Album/Gig Review Thread

The Kooks - Konk

1. See The Sun - Slow burning track that starts off shaky but picks up when the lead guitar starts a-wailing. 7

2. Always Where I Need To Be - the single and one of the catchier songs on the album. 7

3. Mr Maker - My favourite new song on the album and the most Kooks-esque song on here. Most likely to be a single. 9

4. Do You Wanna - More classic Kooks full of swagger and a chorus straight outta my mouth. 8.5

5. Gap - Another solid track with shout out to be a single. 7.5

6. Love It All - The slowest track on the album and a solid little number if not a tad repetitive. 7

7. Stormy Weather - Album track with twangs of the traditional Kooks swagger that loses its way in the middle. 6

8. Sway - The oldest song on this album that they've been playing live for a long while. A favourite of mine. 10

9. Shine On - Weak album track with no real depth. 5.5

10. Down To The Market - More classic Kooks. 7

11. One Last Time - Another weak number where Luke's ego pisses off and does its own thing, the alphabet in song is to the Jackson 5. Keep it that way. 5.5

12. Tick Of Time - This'd be where all those Libertines wannabe reviews stem from as the start is straight out of the Pete Doherty playbook. When they stop twatting about and get down to business its more tales of trains and lost loves that everyones used too. 6.5

13. (Bonus Track) All Over Town - Sugary sweet accousticy syrupy Kooky Luke goodness. If you hate the Kooks, this is exactly why, if you love the Kooks this is exactly why. 8

Overall: Smacks of classic Kooks flair and Pritchard swagger that is a great continuation of Inside In, Inside Out and as such is a must buy/download illegally for the average Kooks fan. Won't however win round any non fans. Happy poppy ballardy sing alongy goodness guarenteed. Looses out for not having the upbeat summertime feel of the first album and instead concentrates on the accoustic sing a long numbers.7.5/10

Good idea this.

Why don't we review gigs as well in here? I'll get the ball rolling with the review I wrote earlier this year of Portishead at Bristol. For those who haven't read it (and aren't bored easily...!)

Warning: anyone who is expecting an unbiased review should look away now. Portishead make music that moves me more than any other band and as such seeing them live was ALWAYS going to be an experience to savour.

I turned up at the Bristol Academy around 9:00 just as the rather bizarre support act was coming to an eagerly awaited close. There was a definite sense of anticipation in the air, the importance of this gig certainly wasn't lost on the home crowd; a blend of young Bristolites who probably were too young to remember Dummy's release (and subsequent Mercury Music Prize) and an older crowd relishing an opportunity that hadn't presented itself for over a decade. With the exception of being curators of ATP the previous weekend this was the first time Portishead had played their own concert for quite some time. Fans had been forced to feed on scraps of short festival appearances and a cameo appearance at a local pub. They had kept us waiting (albeit patiently; if ever there were two albums that sound as good now as they did on release then it's Dummy and their self-titled follow up). Finally the wait was over.

They came on stage to a rapturous welcome. Portishead had come home. However there was no time for sentimentalities, it was straight into a new track (called Wicca I believe). This was a dirge of heavy bass reflecting the new sound the band had been nurturing over the last 10 years. After this another new track followed. You will need to bear with me, my memory is shaky at the best of times and I was quite drunk by this point!

These 2 openers went down well. Portishead had moved on from the delicate beats and vocals of Dummy and the jazz-angst of their second album. On the evidence so far their new sound was heavier, both in bass and drums. The vocals were anguished and beautiful at the same time. Beth Gibbons (clearly very shy but with an aura and presence that encapsulated the significance of Portishead's contribution to modern music) is inimitable and this view was reinforced from the outset.

There was however anticipation for some old classics. And what better way to relive past glories than with the song that opened their debut album. Mysterons was greeted with a nostalgic cheer and it sounded as fresh and as beautiful as ever. This song sums up Dummy. Gentle vocals, a delicate beat (with that instantly recognisable roll on the snare) and a haunting bass line.

Another new track followed. This began acoustically with just a guitar and vocals but built (almost akin to GSY!BE) into a cacophony of bass and soaring guitar again reflecting a new heavier sound. Glory Box followed. This is possibly Portishead's most recognisable song. For a band famed for originality it is somewhat ironic that the music was actually produced by Tricky (listen to Hell Around the Corner on his album Maxinquaye and you'll see) with Beth Gibbons adding her own vocals. This was fantastic though, sounding exactly as it did on the album but with an extended guitar solo driven climax.

Numb came next with it's hollow snare beat and jazz infused keyboards. There was a feeling, with the band at home in the midst of their old material, that they had filly warmed up and were performing as well as ever. Next was a melancholic, minimal version of Wandering Star. Coming on the back of Glory Box and Numb this was probably the weakest moment with the crowd struggling to hear the intricacies of this new version of the song through the unsubtle Academy sound system.

A new song was next though and subtlety was no longer required. This song was dominated by drums. Electronic and physical. The bad let loose with a heavyweight bass line and the repetitive crash of synthesised percussion. It was a highlight for me, clearly they were not afraid to let loose. 10 years is a long time and the band had to push their sound forward. What was becoming clear was they had achieved this whilst not forgetting the unique qualities that set them apart during the 1990's.

It was then into their final four tracks. Over and Sour Times (the only negative being some squawky girls next to me insisting on singing along. Sorry but to sing along to Portishead defeats the whole point of seeing them. I paid to hear Beth Gibbons, not you!). Followed by a beautifully delivered version of Only You and then a final opportunity to deliver a wall of noise in the form of Cowboys in all it's haunting, near-demonic form. We were again reminded of the band's love for scratching with the decks taking prominence as the song reached it's end.

There was more to come with the encore though. They reappeared on stage and immediately gave us Roads. Simply one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Beth delivered the pained, subtle, angelic vocals as well as ever. She manages to carry such emotion in her voice and still manages to display great versatility. Roads demonstrated all of this perfectly.

The final song of the night was another new one and saw Portishead abandon the broken beat for the first time. This was a driving straightforward 4-4 beat with a relentless two tone bass line. A complete departure from the previous tracks, both new and old. It did however reinforce what I had been thinking of the new material throughout - if any similarity can be drawn to it (and comparing a band that one has ever successfully come close to imitating almost seems a disservice) then Radiohead's Kid A is probably as close as you will get.

It was a great performance (marred only by poor sound engineering, Beth needed turning up and the drums and bass (not to mention the squawky girls) needed turning down). And it gave an excellent insight into what is to come in April while also reminding us through brilliantly reworked performances of old classics of why I love Portishead so much.

Just to add to my review here's the track list in full:

1. Wicca

2. Hunter

3. Mysterons

4. Mystic

5. Glory Box

6. Numb

7. Wandering Star

8. Machine Gun

9. Over

10. Sour Times

11. Only You

12. Cowboys

13. Roads

14. Peaches

Good idea this.

Why don't we review gigs as well in here? I'll get the ball rolling with the review I wrote earlier this year of Portishead at Bristol. For those who haven't read it (and aren't bored easily...!)

First post changed accordingly. Will be interesting to see peoples thoughts on all kinds of music.

Lucky bastard.

Got Dot To Dot this weekend will review that up too.

Awesome, are you going to the Nottingham one?

Im going Gatecrasher as well this weekend but I think I might be too drunk to remember.

Awesome, are you going to the Nottingham one?

Im going Gatecrasher as well this weekend but I think I might be too drunk to remember.

Yeah Notts is the place to be, kipping in a hotel with free room service and drinks brought to the room. This could get messy :D

THe only band i don't wanna see bar Alphabeat is Get Cape Wipe Arse With Cape Cry who my missus loves so will be the only band she drags me too.

I'm going to imagine not one person will be in the slightest bit interested in the review i could do next month after seeing Bon Jovi and The Feeling playing in Coventry?

No?

Thought not! lol

Here I Stand - Usher.

1. Forever Young - A nice intro to the album, not too musical, just displays Ushers voice.

2. Love In This Club featuring Young Jeezy - You've probably heard this by now, its no Yeah! but it serves its purpose well.

3. This Ain't Sex - I think this may be one of Ushers best tracks, good funky vibe to it, and generally a really feel good track.

4. Trading Places - Interesting concept to this this song, i think it works... just.

5. Moving Mountains - This is my favourite off this album, really powerful song, epic beat and an even more impressive video. If you pick one song to download from this album... get this one.

6. What's Your Name featuring will.i.am - Your typical Will.i.am produced track, nothing special... but an enjoyable listen none the less.

7. Prayer For You Interlude - Quite a decent short track, basically focused on his new born son.

8. Something Special - A pretty mellow track this, relaxing.

9. Love You Gently - A strong ballad, once again its relaxing, which is basically the routine on this album.

10. Best Thing featuring Jay-Z - A decent verse from Jay-Z, bit of a step down compared to his form on American Gangster, but decent. The theme of this track is both of them speaking on there recent marriages.

11. Before I Met You - Very similar to 'Love You Gently'

12. His Mistakes - Another of my favourite tracks of this, pretty powerful again, discusses a girl holding back in a relationship due to past experiences.

13. Appetite - A more upbeat track, can see this being released as a single, orientally themed beat... should take off as a single.

14. What's A Man To Do - A pretty different sounding track heavily influenced by guitars, subject focuses on being torn between two girls.

16. Lifetime - Good track again, talking about life and all that comes with it.

17. Love In This Club Part II featuring Beyoncé and Lil Wayne - Really good follow up to the first part, alot more laid back, good verse from Lil Wayne.

18. Here I Stand - Another good song.

DOT TO DOT REVIEW:

Cazals - 6

Holloways - 10

Dirty Pretty Things - 8

Peggy Sue And The Pirates - 7

The Xcerts - 7

Ida Maria - 6.5

The Teenagers - 8

Born Ruffians - 8.5

Mystery Jets - 8.5

The Ghost Frequency - 10

Get Cape Wear Cape Fly - 5

Santogold - 9

Kissy Sell Out - 7

Pissed To Have Missed: The Mourning After, Cage The Elephant (Singer burnt his face off ona glowstick), Semifinalists, Bloc Party DJ set, Cheeky Cheeky and the Nosebleeds.

Pissed They Dint Turn Up - Team Waterpolo, The Little Ones.

Gatecrasher, I really can't remember much from the two nights apart from the prodigy. Dont think ive ever been as fooked as I was. The Saturday night was great, Prodigy were absoulutely quality. My ears were ringing the whole next sunday but still went up, Sunday was poor to be honest, the whether didn't help. The Chemical Brothers were cancelled because of this which was a shame. Pendulam were put back 2 hours to replace these in another tent I think, but i left by this time.

Highlight of the weekend was PVD absoulte quality, never liked the guy before. But his set was imense.

Anyway i went to see Hadouken last night in Ayesbury.

Absoulute awesome, i was still ringing from the Prodigy on Saturday, and their cover version for Breathe was quality.

So many good highlights from the night, Alice waving to me :wub:, band joining in to our 'ONLY GOT ONE SHOE' chants to this lad. Drinking too much again. Was great.

Overall I would give them a 8 for the night.

Andy Mckee last night at The Maze in Nottingham.

Only a small venue with probably about 120 people inside but it was brilliant. Andy Mckee's probably not somebody you'd all like, he's basically just an American fingerstyle guitarist but bloody hell can he play. Was a very good gig to go to and I'd recommend going to see him if you like acoustic guitar music if he's playing nearby.

Was at the Hull Uni end of year ball on Sat;

Kate Nash: Awful. Sang the 2 songs known and some other random album tracks. Then jumped around on stage telling people they 'don't have to suck dick to succeed'. Muppet.

Lethal Bizzle: Brilliant. Did a couple of covers and snippets of songs. Got the crowd involved and were generally great entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

WARNING THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF GROOVYNESS!

Sam Sparro - Sam Sparro

1. Too Many Questions - The only song i already owned on mp3 and the reason i downloaded the rest of the album. Fantastic song. 9

2. Black & Gold - The radio bothering first single, another quality tune. Hopefully the 2 songs i know having bin in the first 2 songs on the album wont mean i lose interest. This is a very good song though. 9

3. 21st Century Life - Sounds like Prince caught in the act of having children with Calvin Harris. Love it. 8

4. Sick - Pet Shop Boys overload! If it weren't for the backing track this song would be extremely weak. 6

5. Waiting For Time - A slow far less upbeat album track that nearly finds its way in the middle only to peter out again. 6

6. Recycle It! - Fantastic beatbox start. Continues to be flipping good. 8

7. Cottonmouth - Repetive enough to be catchy and not annoying. Not a bad tune 7

8. Hot Mess - More funky good times. Very nice. :D7

9. Pocket - Another slower one. Not bad but not as good as other tracks on here. 6

10. Cut Me Loose - Yet more funky good times. 7

11. Sally - Another one for the songs about girls thread. Meh,s'ok. 6

12. Clingwrap - Not sure the titles a real word to be honest. The best track for a while. Really good. 8

13. Can't Stop This - Solid finish to the album 7.5

This album will possibly be getting itself another listen and i won't need the collection of empty Bulmers bottles next to me to enjoy it, the next time i play it. Not a bad debut but unfortunately doesn't live up to the greatness of the first 2 tracks. 7

Pissed To Have Missed: The Mourning After, Cage The Elephant (Singer burnt his face off ona glowstick), Semifinalists, Bloc Party DJ set, Cheeky Cheeky and the Nosebleeds.

Saw them, they were the 2nd support for The Pigeon Detectives. I got a free badge!!

Here I Stand - Usher.

Simply superb album - the best that he's done in my opinion. "His mistakes" and "moving mountains" are indeed the hightlights but there are no tracks that I'd be looking to skip!

Andy Mckee last night at The Maze in Nottingham.

Only a small venue with probably about 120 people inside but it was brilliant. Andy Mckee's probably not somebody you'd all like, he's basically just an American fingerstyle guitarist but bloody hell can he play. Was a very good gig to go to and I'd recommend going to see him if you like acoustic guitar music if he's playing nearby.

I stumbled across a couple of YouTube videos of him in action and the things he can do with a guitar are ridiculous!!

I went to see Craig David at the Alexandra Theatre in Birmingham last night. I know he's not the coolest of people to go and see live but there's no denying that he is a quality live vocalist. He played a mixture of songs from his four albums including all the well known ones and some of the unreleased efforts from "Born To Do It" and the latest album, "Trust Me". Put a lot of energy into the show and was spot on vocally with everything and the jazz style band he had with him really complimented the more up tempo songs and finished off with a brilliant version of "Fill Me In" in which he unleashed his MC Skills which many people forget about when thinking of Craig David. Not everyones tastes by any stretch and he can come over as a bit of an idiot at times but he is one hell of a talented guy!!

The support act were a band called "Mamas Gun" - very different jazzy type music but they were a big hit and spent time meeting people afterwards. Nice guys who are clearly in it for the music!

Absoulute awesome, i was still ringing from the Prodigy on Saturday, and their cover version for Breathe was quality.

oddly enough, i did a gig at the hope & anchor in islington a while back and we did a cover version of the prodigy's fire starter, a capella...

• 4 weeks later...

O2 Wireless Festival yesterday, saw Bootsy Collins, MSTRKRFT, Underworld and Fatboy Slim.

Bootsy Collins was great, his band did a James Brown tribute. Fantastic stuff.

MSTRKRFT were awesome. That were in a tent and the whole place was jumping for an hour and a half of pure techno. Best DJ set I've ever seen live, not that I've seen many.

Underworld - breathtaking. Setlist was something like: Crocodile | Cowgirl | Two Months Off | Rowla | Shudder/King of Snake | Born Slippy | Jumbo | Moaner. One of my all-time top three favourite bands and I've never seen them before, had tickets last October but was so ill I couldn't go. It was just perfect. Two Months Off I have never been a huge fan of but live it is something else. I would have liked to have seen them do Push Upstairs, Juanita/Kiteless, Cups and Rez but to be fair, I would have quite happily watched them play their entire back catalogue.

long walks with the boyfriend, the city loves a boyfriend, everybody loves a boyfriend, you left me alone, full moon, full moon, full moon, full moon, full moon, boys, boys, boys, boys, white crossway crossway boys down on the waterfront...

Fatboy Slim - rubbish, we went home after 20 minutes. Just an old bloke in a terrible shirt playing records you've heard millions of times before.

• 4 weeks later...

just been to one of the best gigs, real class and an intimate setting....

the guy is a genius, brilliant songs, great guitarist and a fabulous voice.

the man is Sondre Lerche, the venue was stallen, a cafe that was rammed.

he did a solo show which was just amazing, and he is very funny (if you speak norwegian) but the songs are in english, and he did the soundtrack for the movie 'dan in real life'

i doubt you'll get a chance to see him soon but definately worth checking out his stuff...

Archived