Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claymore

Youth/Academy

A lot of the people who post on here are very pro the young players. All I am asking is whether clubs of our size actually benefit from the youngsters that come through the Academy. It seems that as the polarisation of funds continues towards the premier league and even more towards the top 5 or 6 clubs in that division, they are the ones who benefit from the academies of clubs like ours. For example, Paul Hart instigated a fantastic youth policy at F#*$"T and all of there promising young players have gone, leaving them hardly any better off. If this Stearman lad turns out to be as good as we hope, how long do you think we will hold onto his services. Do not think I am anti-youth; I think Tommy Wright is a good player and hope he gets a chance this season. I just don't necessarily think that youth acadamy's are the saviours that they are portrayed to be. :(

and if Micky decides to (or any other manager we get in) have time for youth then we'll have a squad that'll be good for the future and not for the one season.

Dont know if its just me but i'd be more proud of our team with some good leicester lads in than a team with old free transfers that are far from their peak. We cant afford to buy players at their peak, but if we brought players through for once we could experience this. We did with Heskey, and Piper it seems! :lol:

Guest i_godzuki
A lot of the people who post on here are very pro the young players. All I am asking is whether clubs of our size actually benefit from the youngsters that come through the Academy. It seems that as the polarisation of funds continues towards the premier league and even more towards the top 5 or 6 clubs in that division, they are the ones who benefit from the academies of clubs like ours. For example, Paul Hart instigated a fantastic youth policy at F#*$"T and all of there promising young players have gone, leaving them hardly any better off. If this Stearman lad turns out to be as good as we hope, how long do you think we will hold onto his services. Do not think I am anti-youth; I think Tommy Wright is a good player and hope he gets a chance this season. I just don't necessarily think that youth acadamy's are the saviours that they are portrayed to be. :(

Forest's current 1st choice first team is

Gerrard,

Louis-Jean Morgan Dawson Rogers

Impey Jess Evans Reid

Johnson Taylor

Out of that lot, Morgan Dawson, and Reid are academy graduates. Also, first team squad members Robertson (Scot U21), Thompson (Ireland international), Bopp (Germany U19), Perch (played on Saturday), Roche (Ireland U21 goalkeeper), Westcarr and Doig (Scotland U21 played Saturday) and Cash (Ireland U21) are all from the academy.

The ones of note to have left are Jenas (5m), Prutton (2.5m) and Williams (?k). Take all that lot out and Forest have a first team squad of about 9 players., so I wouldn't understimated the academy's impact.

Guest Guest

Plus the fact that every footballer starts off as a young player in an academy it makes sense to invest in it, saves you time and money if you can develop some young quality talent instead of scrounging the odd crap free transfer here and there. If your academy players then get sold for a few million then what's the problem? You've made several hundred percent profit and more!

You have to start off somewhere.

Academies give kids the chance to learn their game from the professionals (not necessarily the players themselves, btw).

Also, it keeps things local. It isn't feasible for kids to travel hundreds of miles a week. Why deny someone a future they want, and will work at?

the academy shud never be chopped.......its my only chance :angry:

That was one of my points.

If there was no academy in Leicester, would your parents be prepared to drive you to Manchester or London 2/3 times a week?

Wasn't Beckham with Spurs or something before he joined Manure?

Archived