Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fosse Boy

Help please!

My laptop keeps switching itself off at seemingly random points. I've no idea what's causing it and am similarly clueless as to how I can fix it? Any suggestions?

i had a pc that used to do that! we never figured out why, but it helped when you cleaned the fans etc, so we figured it might be a feature if it gets too hot?? dont know! sorry!

My laptop keeps switching itself off at seemingly random points. I've no idea what's causing it and am similarly clueless as to how I can fix it? Any suggestions?

Could be a short, could be over-heating, could be an infection - I've had three different laptops do this for those reasons.

Stupid question: You do have it plugged into the mains with the power on?

Could be a short, could be over-heating, could be an infection - I've had three different laptops do this for those reasons.

Stupid question: You do have it plugged into the mains with the power on?

Yes I have. I've moved it from my bed to my desk now and it hasn't turned off since. :fc: Perhaps overheating was the problem? :dunno:

Yes I have. I've moved it from my bed to my desk now and it hasn't turned off since. :fc: Perhaps overheating was the problem? :dunno:

Mine went gimpy after having on my bed. Definately keep laptops on a hard surface where no duvets etc. can block the fan.

In that case I'd guess overheating was the cause. On a flat surface it will be ventilated... not really designed for use on a duvet.

Had exactly the same problem for a while, posted it in the pc help thread.

Downloaded 'SpeedFan' and started monitoring the temperature of my CPU, finding that it was over 3 times what it should be...hence causing it to switch off randomly.

Archived