Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pegosteve

Bradford City Fire Remembered

just remember when hillsborough started initially reporters and forest fans thought it was a pitch invasion and hooliganism

I can confirm this as 100% accurate. Bearing in mind though at the time pitch invasions and general yobbery happened all the time.

Are you saying I don't want to see more mention of Bradford? Where have I implied that? I'm just explaining why Hillsborough gets more coverage. I'm actually disgusted you've suggested that! What a ****.

The only place you've implied that is where you've just brought it up :huh: I was referring to the bit that I highlighted in bold, whereby you expect more coverage next year, because - as it does every year - I think it will unfortunately get overlooked by Hillsborough.

The Bradford fire is remembered with a service each year in Bradford of course. There doesn't seem to be the same media attention as Hillsborough, but I suppose that Hillsborough has been kept at the top of the public awareness by the campaign for justice by the families. Bradford, although tragic was very quickly attributed to a build of rubbish under a ramshackle stand. The Popplewell enquiry into the fire lead to improved safety, including the banning of wooden grandstands, closure of other stands deemed to be unsafe and banning of smoking at grounds.

It is worth noting that the main stand that burned down did not have perimeter fencing - if it had, then it is likely the death toll would have been in the hundreds or thousands.

Archived