Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pegosteve

Bradford City Fire Remembered

Im always dissapointed at how little coverage this horrible event gets too.

I too watched it on Grandstand and will never forget some of those images especially the guy running onto the pitch in flames. Horrific and a total tragedy.

RIP

I remember watching this as a nipper on Grandstand. The only image that stuck in me head is a policeman whose head or hair was on fire. I can't remember anything else from the day apart from the shock. Condolences to all those affected by this tragedy.

• 11 months later...

11th May 1985, at around 3.40pm a fire started under the main stand at Valley Parade, within 10 minutes 52 people lay dead and 4 died later of their injuries( 54 Bradford fans and 2 from Lincoln). 25 years since the tragedy, I have posted on the Bantems site the thoughts of all Foxes, but please spare a thought for those who died, their families and the clubs.

56 Lost souls

ACKROYD, John Douglas 32 Baildon,

ANDERTON, Edmund 68 Bingley,

BAINES, Alexander Shaw 70 Bradford,

BAMFORD, Herbert 72 Bradford,

BULMER, Christopher James 11 Burley-in-Wharfedale,

COXON, Jack Leo 76 Bradford,

COXON, Leo Anthony 44 Halifax,

CRABTREE, David James 30 Bradford,

CRABTREE, Harry 76 Bradford,

DEMPSEY, Derek 46 Morley,

FIRTH, Muriel 56 Baildon,

FIRTH, Samuel 86 Bradford,

FLETCHER, Andrew 11 East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire,

FLETCHER, Edmond 63 Pudsey,

FLETCHER, John 34 East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire,

FLETCHER, Peter 32 Gildersome,

FORSTER, Nellie 64 Bradford,

GREENWOOD, Felix Winspear 13 Denholme,

GREENWOOD, Peter 46 Denholme,

GREENWOOD, Rupert Benedict 11 Denholme,

HALL, Norman 71 Bradford,

HALLIDAY, Peter Anthony 34 Bradford,

HARTLEY, Arthur 79 Bradford,

HINDLE, Edith 79 Bradford,

HINDLE, Frederick 76 Bradford,

HODGSON, Moira Helen 15 Oakenshaw,

HUDSON, Eric 72 Bingley,

HUGHES, John 64 Bradford,

HUTTON, John 74 Bradford,

KERR, Walter 76 Bradford,

LOVELL, Peter Charles 43 Bradford,

LUDLAM, Jack 55 Bradford,

McPHERSON, Gordon Stuart 39 Bradford,

McPHERSON, Irene 28 Bradford,

MASON, Roy 74 Silsden,

MIDDLETON, Frederick Norman 84 Bradford,

MITCHELL, Harold 79 Bradford,

MUHL, Elizabeth 21 Leeds,

NORMINGTON, Ernest 74 Shipley,

ORMONDROYD, Gerald Priestley 40 Bingley,

ORMONDROYD, Richard John 12 Bingley,

ORMONDROYD, Robert Ian 12 Bingley,

POLLARD, Sylvia Lund 69 Bradford,

PRICE, Herbert 78 Shipley,

ROBERTS, Amanda Jayne 20 Bradford,

SAMPSON, Jane 18 Leeds,

STACEY, William 72 Sleaford, Lincolnshire,

STOCKMAN, Craig Albert 14 Bradford,

STOCKMAN, Jane Ashley 16 Bradford,

STOCKMAN, Trevor John 38 Brighouse,

TURNER, Howard Malcolm 41 Bingley,

TURNER, Sarah Elizabeth 16 Bingley,

WARD, Simon Neil 18 Shipley,

WEDGEWORTH, Robert 72 Guiseley,

WEST, William James 78 North Hykeham, Lincoln,

WRIGHT, Adrian Mark 11 Bradford,

Should get more publicity yes.

Remember my Dad telling me the story as a youngster of how the Stacey West stand at Lincoln got it's name and it's always stuck with me.

Rest In Peace all who died.

• 3 years later...

11th May 1985 saw 56 football fans go to a game and never return home.

Valley Parade fire often forgotten/overshadowed by Hillsborough. 

Please spare a thought this weekend for all those involved in this tragedy, also spare a thought for Don Goodman (our favourite summariser) who was playing for Bradford and whose girlfriend perished that day.

Does make me abit annoyed about how much Hillsborough is remember but this seems almost forgotten, hardly any mention of this anniversary.

As I said I another thread, this is the 29th anniversary, Hillsborough was the 25th. You'll always get more of a mention for something like a 25th than a 29th. Next year it will be the 30th year of Bradford, so I expect more coverage.

Also Hillsborough isn't really about remembrance. We know what happened at Bradford, it's sad, but what happen has no relevance today and the whys are all done and dusted, Hillsborough there's still a fight for the truth and justice, and that is mainly what the coverage is about. Hillsborough still has a relevance today, Bradford doesn't.

Guest MattP

Does make me abit annoyed about how much Hillsborough is remember but this seems almost forgotten, hardly any mention of this anniversary.

Scousers for you, we are going to grieve and you will join in.

I'm too young to remember it happening and the first I ever saw of it was on 'Match of the 80s' a few years back. Reading this thread is the first time I've seen the video and it is beyond words, just unimaginably horrible.

Whether Hillborough or Bradford get more press is unimportant really, they are both awful tragedies. The fire at Bradford was especially horrific though and I know from talking to friends from there that the city has never got over it.

I'm too young to remember it happening and the first I ever saw of it was on 'Match of the 80s' a few years back. Reading this thread is the first time I've seen the video and it is beyond words, just unimaginably horrible.

Whether Hillborough or Bradford get more press is unimportant really, they are both awful tragedies. The fire at Bradford was especially horrific though and I know from talking to friends from there that the city has never got over it.

football's lowest ebb around this time. A fan was killed at Birmingham v Leeds the same day as the Bradford fire and just a couple of weeks later came the Heysel Stadium disaster in Brussels. I remember watching the fire live on TV as a 12 year old and being shocked and stunned by it

Archived