Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pegosteve

Bradford City Fire Remembered

As I said I another thread, this is the 29th anniversary, Hillsborough was the 25th. You'll always get more of a mention for something like a 25th than a 29th. Next year it will be the 30th year of Bradford, so I expect more coverage.

Also Hillsborough isn't really about remembrance. We know what happened at Bradford, it's sad, but what happen has no relevance today and the whys are all done and dusted, Hillsborough there's still a fight for the truth and justice, and that is mainly what the coverage is about. Hillsborough still has a relevance today, Bradford doesn't.

Is there?

So sad, remember watching it!

Wonder if that person on fire in the corner survived?

Tw@ts laughing and celebrating, FFS!

RIP

Apparently not. I seem to recall that he actually died from a combination of internal injuries as a result of the over-enthusiastic attempts to beat out the flames, and his burns.

I can remember this so well. I was watching Grandstand on Saturday afternoon and they switched to live coverage. The weird thing is that I had always been worried about fire in those old grounds. I remember being in the Double Decker at Filbo back in the 60s, and some guy lighting a cigarette and throwing the match on the floor, where for a moment it caught a bit of paper and lit it. The guy stamped on it, but it made me wonder what would have happened if it had been left and there had been more paper. But Filbo was no worse than most of the grounds I went to - a disaster waiting to happen.

The thing is that the very idea of banning smoking was completely foreign in those days, and even after Bradford you could still smoke in grounds - including the Double Decker. And remember that Bradford happened four years before the King's Cross fire, which had exactly the same original cause.

Desperately sad, and good that we fans still remember those 56 people who died. RIP.

Fair play to the Derby fans, clapping in memory in and around the 56th minute for this.

The only media outlet that I have seen making reference the the Bradford fire and it's only because of the Derby fans.

Fair play to the Derby fans, clapping in memory in and around the 56th minute for this.

The only media outlet that I have seen making reference the the Bradford fire and it's only because of the Derby fans.

Just said something similar on twitter. The ignorance of the FA has been appalling.

ain't got sky so didn't see but didn't any premier league games observe this at the matches??

if not its a fooking disgrace.

ain't got sky so didn't see but didn't any premier league games observe this at the matches??

if not its a fooking disgrace.

Only watched the Man City game but there wasn't one there. Can't really speak for the other matches but doubt it.

As for Facecloth's comments of 'this is the 29th anniversary, Hillsborough was the 25th. You'll always get more of a mention for something like a 25th than a 29th. Next year it will be 30th year of Bradford, so I expect more coverage'. I'm not certain about this but fairly sure - Don't all clubs do a minutes silence every year for Hillsborough. Yet nothing for Bradford.

I realise all the football league season's have finished apart from playoff so we couldn't have done one and imagine this is the same most season's but still Prem was going today and regardless it doesn't excuse no rememberance from media outlets.

I'm not aruging which was worse or which deserves more coverage, e.t.c, far from it, just think it's abit bad this is hardly remembered.

Only watched the Man City game but there wasn't one there. Can't really speak for the other matches but doubt it.

As for Facecloth's comments of 'this is the 29th anniversary, Hillsborough was the 25th. You'll always get more of a mention for something like a 25th than a 29th. Next year it will be 30th year of Bradford, so I expect more coverage'. I'm not certain about this but fairly sure - Don't all clubs do a minutes silence every year for Hillsborough. Yet nothing for Bradford.

I realise all the football league season's have finished apart from playoff so we couldn't have done one and imagine this is the same most season's but still Prem was going today and regardless it doesn't excuse no rememberance from media outlets.

I'm not aruging which was worse or which deserves more coverage, e.t.c, far from it, just think it's abit bad this is hardly remembered.

well i personally can't remember much being done or said about Bradfords 25th.

Just sucks abit to me if we Dont recognised this tragedy as much as any other.

re the fans cheering etc..Im sure at the time they didn't realise the amount of fatalities and the actual severity of the situation.

just remember when hillsborough started initially reporters and forest fans thought it was a pitch invasion and hooliganism

Apparently the fire exits had been locked so that the gatemen could enjoy the celebrations and all the fire extinguishers had previously been removed. The speed of the spread of the flames always astounds me, and it's just a good thing that the stand had no fences, otherwise the death toll could have been so much higher.

R.I.P. to the 56.

As I said I another thread, this is the 29th anniversary, Hillsborough was the 25th. You'll always get more of a mention for something like a 25th than a 29th. Next year it will be the 30th year of Bradford, so I expect more coverage.

Also Hillsborough isn't really about remembrance. We know what happened at Bradford, it's sad, but what happen has no relevance today and the whys are all done and dusted, Hillsborough there's still a fight for the truth and justice, and that is mainly what the coverage is about. Hillsborough still has a relevance today, Bradford doesn't.

I feel you'll be most disappointed.

I feel you'll be most disappointed.

Are you saying I don't want to see more mention of Bradford? Where have I implied that? I'm just explaining why Hillsborough gets more coverage. I'm actually disgusted you've suggested that! What a ****.

Are you saying I don't want to see more mention of Bradford? Where have I implied that? I'm just explaining why Hillsborough gets more coverage. I'm actually disgusted you've suggested that! What a ****.

I didn't see it as him meaning that I saw it as he didn't think there will be much made of it next year in the 30th year, so you'll be disappointed in the fact you expect there will coverage next year.

Another thought is does anyone think there would be more made of it if Bradford were in the Premiership and more high profile? I do. Not sure 'vain' is the right word but i'm going with it.

I don't think he means that. Pretty sure he means you'll be disappointed because there might not be any extra coverage. 

I think they'll probably do something next year now. All you've got to do is look at social media and see people are pretty unimpressed that the Premier League did absolutely nothing this year (as far as I could see).

The only thing I saw was at Derby where the crowd did a minutes applause around the 56th minute. I know Don Goodman gets a lot of flak but I was impressed he didn't milk the moment and make it about him like some other people might have. 

And I agree with Matt more would be made of the tragedy if it had happened at a bigger club - especially by SKY and other media outlets. 

I didn't see it as him meaning that I saw it as he didn't think there will be much made of it next year in the 30th year, so you'll be disappointed in the fact you expect there will coverage next year.

Another thought is does anyone think there would be more made of it if Bradford were in the Premiership and more high profile? I do. Not sure 'vain' is the right word but i'm going with it.

Fair point, it wasn't how I read it, if that's what he meant i apologise. I don't think there will be as much coverage as Hillsborough, but I've already said why Hillsborough is still more in the news, it's still news, but there will definitely be more coverage of Bradford than there has this year.

Archived