Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pegosteve

Bradford City Fire Remembered

Please take time tomorrow to remember the 56 football fans and their families (54 from Bradford and 2 from Lincoln) who died in the fire at Valley Parade 24 years ago. Ironically Bradford had just won the same league as LCFC have just won.

A disaster often over shadowed by Hillsborough but one we should not forget.

Please take time tomorrow to remember the 56 football fans and their families (54 from Bradford and 2 from Lincoln) who died in the fire at Valley Parade 24 years ago. Ironically Bradford had just won the same league as LCFC have just won.

A disaster often over shadowed by Hillsborough but one we should not forget.

I remember it well. I can remember seeing it unfold on Grandstand. I cried that day.

I heard about this on the way back from Luton. I was furious at watching us lose 4-0.

But this event put my day into perspective, especially when I saw footage on the news.. :o:sick:

I have indeed spared a thought today for those affected by what happened. I have said this on here before, but I remember watching this on the telly at my Grandma and Grandads house and I remember saying 'Look Grandad, that man is on fire' My grandad, being blind, didn't believe me. That image will stay with me forever.

Rest in Peace.

Why does the Hillsborough disaster get more media coverage than this?

I'm not saying that this is the main talking point, just a question.

R.I.P.

Because Valley Parade was an accident, and everybody knew it. The person who dropped the cigarette died, and it was a horrendous tragedy.

Hillsborough gets more coverage because more people died, no-one has accepted responsibility and Liverpool are a bigger club.

Always knew this happened, but as already mentioned it's not had as much coverage as Hillsborough.

Just seen a video that Jehst posted, and seeing the man on fire and lifeless bodies being dragged away was horrible. The place went up in flames so quick as well.

R.I.P to all those that died.

I'm gobsmacked. It takes the fire probably around two minutes to have the entire stand go up in flames. Such a speed!

And how come people didn't realize they had to get out of there - couldn't those 56 deaths have been prevented?

Supporters either ran upwards to the back of the stand or downwards to the pitch to escape.

:o

A total of 56 people died in the fire. Of those, 54 were Bradford supporters and two from Lincoln. They included three who tried to escape through the toilets, 27 who were found by exit K and turnstiles six to nine at the rear centre of the stand and two elderly people who died in their seats. Some had been crushed as they tried to crawl under turnstiles to escape. One retired mill worker made his way to the pitch, but was walking about on fire from head to foot. People smothered him to extinguish the flames, but he later died in hospital. Half of those who died were either aged under 20 or over 70, the eldest of which was the club's oldest supporter, former chairman, Sam Firth, aged 86. More than 265 supporters were injured; the fire was described as the worst fire disaster in the history of British football, and the worst since 65 spectators died at the Ibrox disaster in 1971. One policeman said: "It must have been survival of the fittest—men first."

Horrible.

R.I.P.

Wasn't Don Goodman's ex-girlfriend one of the victims as well? He was a player there at the time, and had got her tickets as a favour, or something. :(

Archived