Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
samjohnson

Pendulum - Immersion

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Quote by Rob from Pendulum:

"the only comments i don't get are the ones saying "we've sold out....I'm not sure if drum and bass is dead or dying (i've been in the studio / on tour too long to tell) - however, if your genre was flimsy enough to be knocked over by ONE SINGLE RECORDING ARTIST who happened to - god forbid - sell some fooking records for the first time in about 5/6 years, then i'm glad it was us that got to drive the final stake through its stale pig shit heart - and good riddance. wake me up when your genre is making something that people outside the scene think is worth listening to again."

Compare that to a quote from Burial:

"I love drum&bass, jungle, hardcore, garage, dubstep and always will till i die and i don't want the music i love to be a global samplepack music.. I like Underground tunes that are true and mongrel and you see people trying to break that down, alter its nature. Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable, just a distant light."

In any case regardless of the debate over selling out the bottom line is that their music is fucking shite.

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Quote by Rob from Pendulum:

Compare that to a quote from Burial:

In any case regardless of the debate over selling out the bottom line is that their music is fucking shite.

Yep can't stand them have you got the new Netsky album on Hospital yet James? stunning piece of work, love it some quality tunes

I still don't know quite what to make of Pendulum.

My opinion of them is not what it used to be and I rarely listen to them these days, but I've just gone through Immersion and found it to be quite good in parts. In Silico was a very poor effort but this seems to be a bit heavier and more like the Pendulum I liked in the first place.

I've saw them live at Leeds Festival '08 and can honestly say it was one of my most memorable experiences as a music fan. There's no denying the abilities that their music has to work a crowd.

I personally think it's just best to take them at face value and accept that they aren't a serious drum and bass act anymore. Their roots may certainly lie there but they've moved on and left all that behind to attract a more mainstream audience. Unfortunately that's just how it goes.

Whilst I consider myself to be serious music fan and would probably normally turn my nose up to an artist who goes against everything that unearthed them in the first place I can't help but feel drawn to Pendulum at times. Their big tracks can be huge at the right moments, and while their newer material may be easily passable, I think it's these that make me inclined to persist with them.

I think its got something for everyone really...

Those into pop music (the island)

Metal/Rock (Crush)

Drum and bass (immunize)

Its a fairly... different album

Yep can't stand them have you got the new Netsky album on Hospital yet James? stunning piece of work, love it some quality tunes

No, I'll check it out. Been rubbish at keeping up with dnb things recently. Plus have been getting heavily into German techno... Kompakt is a fantastic label if it's up your street at all.

I still don't know quite what to make of Pendulum.

I wouldn't have much of an issue with them if they'd made a few half decent dnb tunes (which they did on "Hold Your Colour") and then just come out and said "you know what we're going to move into a different direction now but cheers for the support and see you around". But to come out with the bullshit I quoted in my last post is unnecessary. The scene supported them and got them where they are.

But above all (and as I already said) their latest stuff simply just makes me cringe.

got it for my birthday on wednesday and quite impressed, just one thing though - is it just me or does the intro to Encoder (track 15) sound like that for Push the Button by the Chemical Brothers?

The Vulture, Self Vs Self & Witchcraft are probably the best tracks they've produced IMO

got it for my birthday on wednesday and quite impressed, just one thing though - is it just me or does the intro to Encoder (track 15) sound like that for Push the Button by the Chemical Brothers?

The Vulture, Self Vs Self & Witchcraft are probably the best tracks they've produced IMO

:ermm:

Have you never listened to Hold Your Colour?

Went to see them in Coventry (Shithole). Was an awesome night, like them or loathe them, they know how to get a crowd going! I've got Hold Your Colour + In Silico, both have some crap on them, but both have some decent tracks.

not got that album. Heard a couple of tracks when they played glastonbury last year - Tarantula = Quality, the rest = Average

Bit difficult to say tracks are the best they've ever produced when you haven't heard everything by them (especially their most critically acclaimed album) then surely? lol

Bit difficult to say tracks are the best they've ever produced when you haven't heard everything by them (especially their most critically acclaimed album) then surely? lol

probably. Perhaps i should have said "best tracks that i've heard" instead.

Archived