accessory Posted 5 February 2012 Posted 5 February 2012 Not wanting to disrespect the guy but what will happen to the ownership, I presume he was the sole owner, will whoever inherits it want to continue? He had put the club up for sale. It's not known if there were interested buyers. Nor is it clear whether provisions had been made in the event of his demise. But what is apparent is that the present scenario is distressing for many Forest fans and could take a very long time to resolve. In the meantime the club's debts increase and the team slides closer to League One. Genuine football fans, even on here, should have sympathy with them.
Tielemans63 Posted 5 February 2012 Author Posted 5 February 2012 Not wanting to disrespect the guy but what will happen to the ownership, I presume he was the sole owner, will whoever inherits it want to continue? He wasn't the sole honour by any means but a figurehead. One of my best mates at work is a Forest fan and we were talking about this recently. I was saying that, as much as I hate to say it, Forest would surely be an attractive prospect to foreign investors - what with their history and tradition / fanbase / location etc and that I was surprised that no-one from overseas had come in with an offer. To that he replied that foreign investors have been interested but have been put off because basically there are many owners of Forest and it's a real old boy's club; apparently and they're not progressive in the sense that they don't seek new investment but like to keep it a closed shop . He was saying that it would be almost impossible to make a takeover bid if you did want to buy Forest because you'd have to negotiate with so many different parties.
Saxondale Posted 5 February 2012 Posted 5 February 2012 Of course they will. This is actual life, football means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. I know that and you know that but, unfortunately, not everybody does.
ThurnbyLodgeFox Posted 5 February 2012 Posted 5 February 2012 in a way I want them to stay up in memory of him, anyways RIP Nigel
RedHux Posted 5 February 2012 Posted 5 February 2012 He wasn't the sole honour by any means but a figurehead. One of my best mates at work is a Forest fan and we were talking about this recently. I was saying that, as much as I hate to say it, Forest would surely be an attractive prospect to foreign investors - what with their history and tradition / fanbase / location etc and that I was surprised that no-one from overseas had come in with an offer. To that he replied that foreign investors have been interested but have been put off because basically there are many owners of Forest and it's a real old boy's club; apparently and they're not progressive in the sense that they don't seek new investment but like to keep it a closed shop . He was saying that it would be almost impossible to make a takeover bid if you did want to buy Forest because you'd have to negotiate with so many different parties. A figurehead for who exactly? I have to say, this is news to me and I dare say almost every other Forest fan. Lift the lid on the secret cabal, it is your duty.
Tielemans63 Posted 6 February 2012 Author Posted 6 February 2012 A figurehead for who exactly? I have to say, this is news to me and I dare say almost every other Forest fan. Lift the lid on the secret cabal, it is your duty. I'll ask him tomorrow to clarify, but I think what he was saying (and I prob didn't explain this very well) is that Doughty was the public face and voice of a large number of significant stakeholders who constitute the ownership of the club. From what he was saying there are many parties each with different agendas that have held Forest back for many a year. As I say, I'll try to find out more when I see him. He generally knows his stuff and has been a season-ticket holder for about 35 years. P.S On a separate note, the Guardian are reporting that Doughty was owed more than £75 mill by Forest - and still people questioned his commitment!
RedHux Posted 6 February 2012 Posted 6 February 2012 Nigel Doughty did away with any kind of PLC a good few years ago. He was right to as well. Aside from that this one is well hidden from most Forest fans as we're under the impression Nigel was the sole owner and sole source of free cash. He did get a massive amount of stick from some Forest fans and in the end they got their wish. Nigel withdrew, promising only to honour the contracts he'd authorised but no new ones. Soon enough the self same Forest fans were questioning his commitment when he wouldn't come back and throw some money around. Football fans really do my head in sometimes. The Guardian's estimate is probably fairly conservative. He always said he never take any of it back, but has to charge a nominal £1 interest fee or something so some financial shenanigans can take place. One phrase I've read a lot of is "you don't know what you've got until it's gone." Also, the good folk of LTLF have sorted this out in his memory. A small way for Forest fans to so appreciation for Nigel and one of his favourite charities. It's not a plea for cash but it would be remiss if I didn't mention it. http://www.justgiving.com/NigelsMemory
Churchill Posted 8 February 2012 Posted 8 February 2012 I sometimes read some of the Forest forums out of interest and some of the things said about Nigel before his death were not nice at all, some even sent emails etc. It surely couldn't of been nice for the bloke having to put up with abuse all the time after he saved Forest from administration and pumped alot of money into the club some fans have short memories.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.