Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Filbert Street's Record Crowd

It's hardly a nonsense, silence and moaning is nonsense. Do you prefer that to people who try to make some positive noise?

I know your time of atmosphere has been and gone and it might not ever be like that again, but don't belittle those who still try to carry on the legacy of previous eras, however unsuccessful they are.

The nonsense is not in the trying but in the belief that a few hundred (thousand even) people singing and chanting will make a difference, it won't. Another casualty of modern football I'm afraid...... :(

39000 30 Nov 1966, 2-1 to United

40,134 23rd Dec 1967, 2-2 draw

After that we're into the 70's, and attendances drop away.

You're right about the Man City game though, Rodney Fern scored just before half time to bring it back to 2-1. Second half attacking the kop was the most amazing 45 minutes, atmosphere was something the young 'uns will never experience - sadly.

May well have been the '67 game, did Best score in that one?

The nonsense is not in the trying but in the belief that a few hundred (thousand even) people singing and chanting will make a difference, it won't. Another casualty of modern football I'm afraid...... :(

May well have been the '67 game, did Best score in that one?

Nope, Tewley and Sjoberg for us, Law and Charlton (whatever happened to them? ) for Utd.

Details here: http://www.11v11.com/matches/leicester-city-v-manchester-united-23-december-1967-79550/

Best - and Law - scored in the '66 game though.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/leicester-city-v-manchester-united-30-november-1966-79054/

I think the Man U game MarbellaDave refers to, we lost 5-1. Graham Cross scored for us - if my failing memory serves correctly. David Herd scored at least 1 for United. The 4-3 game was Man City, FA Cup replay, greatest night ever at Filbo, I was there in the Kop. Kids were sat around the pitch, in front of the low wall that surrounded it. Health and Safety would have (of!!) had a field day.

Edit: Memory did indeed fail me! City 0 Man U 5, 13/11/1965, so Graham Cross DIDNT score for us. Think he hit the post from about 40 yards though. Goal scorers David Herd football-18x18.png David Herd football-18x18.png Bobby Charlton football-18x18.png John Connelly football-18x18.png George Best

So at least I got the David Herd bit correct. Attendance 34451.

City team that day:

Banks, Sjoberg, Cross, King, Norman, Roberts, Goodfellow, Gibson, Stringfellow, Sinclair, Dougan.

Subs, Wellens, Gallagher - probably ;)

Man City game was 19th Feb 1968, attendance 41892 - now THATS a crowd.

Shilton, Rodrigues, Sjoberg, Cross, Bell, Roberts, Nish (1), Gibson, Stringfellow, Large (2), Fern (1)

We then lost 3-1 at home to Everton, highlights here: http://www.britishpa...ester-v-everton

OMG! Just watched this, still got goose bumps! Look at the surges in the crowd. I dont remember us all wearing black/grey clothes though?

We also got 41622 in for a Spurs home game in '63, drew 2-2. I was sat on top of the toilet block in the Filbert Street end for this one, we got to the ground about 12 o'clock as we knew it would be a lock-out.

Happy days!!

I was referring to the game against Utd that we won 4-3 and both Keyworth & Law scored hat-tricks.

37,002 for that one, 16th April 1963 - surely you're not THAT old!!

Afraid so, and still remember that as the best game I didn't get to see, when there straight from work and still couldn't get in and spent the whole game being kept up to date by people sitting on the wall / stand.

37,002 for that one, 16th April 1963 - surely you're not THAT old!!

Maybe DavieG isn't, but I am, just....... :thumbup:

I know of the game because of the hat tricks, I was probably there, popular side in those days, but have no specific memory of that game.

The Best goal that I remember must have been the '66 game, I was definitely in the Kop that day, George scored at the Filbert st end.

Make a difference in what?

In noise? Of course it will. You can clearly tell the difference between no one singing and a thousand singing. To the result? Not necessarily, but even in modern football the team can be lifted by a good atmosphere.

It certainly makes a difference to me whether the atmosphere is good or bad. And yes, I have been in some good ones even if they weren't as spectacular as some of the ones from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Make a difference in what?

In noise? Of course it will. You can clearly tell the difference between no one singing and a thousand singing. To the result? Not necessarily, but even in modern football the team can be lifted by a good atmosphere.

It certainly makes a difference to me whether the atmosphere is good or bad. And yes, I have been in some good ones even if they weren't as spectacular as some of the ones from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

The atmosphere in the ground as a whole, not just the area doing the singing.

Watching football at the KP is now a neutered, anodyne experience as far as atmosphere is concerned, the sense of the whole ground getting behind the team simply does not exist anymore.

Sure it's nice to have a bit of noise, I even rather like the "I love you" chant, which is the closest we get to atmosphere at the KP. Awaydays are not significantly better, far too many foul mouthed, knuckledraggers for my liking, I go to see the game and vocally support my team, not spend my time abusing the home fans, the stewards or even other City fans as seem to be the norm.

The Man City replay was the most exciting 45 minutes I can recall -noise!

I was clingling to the wire fence at the side of the kop to see the action seem to remember one of our lads nearly breaking the crossbar with a shot.

Spoke to G Cross at golf yesterday still looking pretty fit and trim must be close to 70 yo

Archived