Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
muzzy1981

Respect for opposition - Player selection and formation

A more defensive set-up and inclusion of more experienced players just nearly paid off last night.

Perhaps if the same amount of respect had been showed against other teams, we might have won some more scrappy games, particularly away from home (Think Ipswich away).

For me last night's set-up has instilled some confidence back in Nige, I just hope he continues to mix things up dependant on opposition and whether we are home or away.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on future tactics/selection?

Think he had to change something last night and it seemed to work very well. It's hard to change tactics/philosophy/personel when for large parts of the season they have done us well but we just don't win these scrappy games. Can see us definitely opting for a more defensive approach in the remaining away fixtures and then going all out attack at home

A more defensive set-up and inclusion of more experienced players just nearly paid off last night.

Perhaps if the same amount of respect had been showed against other teams, we might have won some more scrappy games, particularly away from home (Think Ipswich away).

For me last night's set-up has instilled some confidence back in Nige, I just hope he continues to mix things up dependant on opposition and whether we are home or away.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on future tactics/selection?

The performance level was there, we weren't on a league winning performance or anything but we had desire and we fought for every ball and we got our pressing game back that have all been missing for the past few weeks & it's that that we can take hope from - and if we retain that it gives us the platform to play better.

Yes, I hope NP continues to select a team with the opposition in mind... Playing the same players in 442 got us so far but seems to have been combated by opponents. But lets not forget what got us up there in the first place, it was free flowing attacking football... and we shouldn't sacrifice a desire to get back to that, particularly at home.

Add to that the continued use of 3 in the middle rather than 2 + 2 widemen - it worked in making us more competitive.

Yes I certainly agree that we shouldn't sacrifice playing good football completely, as you say particularly at home. I guess we need to find a system/players/formation to find a way to, in the words of Nige 'win ugly'!

Lots of positives to be taken from last night... come on lads!!! :scarf:

I couldn't agree more.

Some people on this forum almost seem to think we can play our 'natural game' (whatever the fookin is) and if we do so, we will win..

Well fellas, it don't work like that. We are playing an opposition and guess what, they want to win as well.

The two best away points we've gained this season IMO have been at Hull and at Cardiff and why... Because we adopted a solid, defensive formation in the middle of the park and limited the number of chances that the opposition could make and take.

Controlled, well-organised, disciplined football that paid dividends and actually reminded me of Pearson's first tenure in the Championship when we were coming away with 'scrappy points' and sometimes narrow victories.

We CAN'T always impose ourselves onto the opposition, they simply will not let us. Sometimes we have to get the basics right and then try to play some of our own football......

Last night actually resurrected some hope in me of the teams aspirations this season. If we think each game through, tactically, we have enough armoury in the squad to maintain a top six place.

Basics first when playing away.. Solid up, fill the midfield, calm the game down and then break on the attack via Lloyds pace or, in some games, Knocky's trickery.

I maintain one more time.. If the wide men are given the licence to attack, underpinned by a primarily defensive minded middle three, we will look a better side.

Well done Nige last night IMO.

I'm still convinced a man can't go from being the best in the country at what he does in January, to clueless within a few weeks. I haven't seen anything to suggest nige isn't the man to take us forward. I guess when man utd lost the premiership at the tail end of last season, that made fergie crap.

Archived