Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lush

Have we enough?

Yes we have a better squad now for sure but I worry if Levein is up to the task of motivating them to greatness. I'm a scot but even I think the SPL is a bit farcical outside of the Old Firm. Hears weren't even that good under Levein, at times awful.

144367[/snapback]

Interesting point. Does he recognise that his motivational skills are limited? If so, it doesn't make him a bad manager. It would only make him a bad manager if he fails to appoint a motivator to help him.

Some people are naturally understated or undemonstrative or simply not good at choosing and delivering inspiring words.

Only rarely do you get a truly charismatic leader, and people like Morinho and Bill Shankly don't stay long in the makeweight divisions.

Don't like using phrases that Micky Adams used to use but the Championship is a marathon not a sprint. If after the first month of the season we're not doing very well then all is not lost. Last seasons champions, Sunderland, had a terrible August but went on to win the league. They won 1 against Crewe, drew with QPR and Wigan and lost to Coventry, newly promoted Plymouth and Reading. Proof if ever I've seen it that the first month of the season doesn't always show you how the season's going to pan out. Equally, if we win all our games in August, it doesn't mean we're going to win the league.

144395[/snapback]

I'd sooner we came out of the starting blocks with attitude and kept that attitude for the whole bloody season which is what footballers are paid for.

We were so far off the pace by the end of the first two months last season that we were always playing a fruitless game of catch up.

Winning football teams don't have the word compromise in their vocabulary. They are full of people who live for winning - whether they're playing Chelsea in a Cup final or Rushden in the backwoods of Northants.

If you win on the first day and you win on the second that's six points you haven't got to get later and six points someone else has got to get tyo keep up.

Winning at football is just like winning at boxing. First hit em hard and when you've done that, hit em again until the League table says "enough".

Well said Thracian.

Im hoping city fans dont feel the opposite of what you described. WE ALL need to feel hunger, and not feel flat from last season.

We have a better squad by far now, and as i said, had we beaten the bottom 9 teams last season at home, we`d be in the play-offs.

I think were better than that.

Have hope, be positive and SHOUT CITY!!

What inconsistency does connolly show?

144419[/snapback]

He misses too many easy chances which could have won us matches - then scores a few in a flurry. Also he has games where he is ineffective and drifts or is forced away from danger areas into anonymity. Then he gets a bit of belief and he's all hustle and bustle with a bite.

Ive just had a look at last seasons table (yes i know i must be mad) and ```IF``` we`d beat the 9 teams who finished below us, at home, we`d have won a play-off place.

144684[/snapback]

I say IF every week when I play golf.

Have we got enough? Players, yes. Quality, not sure. I'm not predicting City in the top 6 yet.

We have two solid-looking goalkeepers.

We have enough quality in defence to put out two separate, decent back fours. (McCarthy, NEJ, Gerrbrand, Stearman, Sheehan, Gilbert, Dublin, Maybury = 8). Will we defend set-pieces any better?

We have no idea if our midfield will click. It looks good on paper. However, Hughes and Kisnorbo have had little pre-season action. Hughes looks quality, but if he plays anywhere near 46 games, I'll eat my blue hat. Tiatto will rack up suspensions. There is no pace, apart from Sylla. There is no genuine width, apart from Sylla. Williams must just get his act together and make himself the focus of the team. Where will the goals come from?

Up front, we don't have an obvious 25-goal man, and have very little back-up. Hopefully Connolly or MDV will come good. Either of them could.

It looks like an improvement on last season, but it doesn't look like a promotion side yet. We will be compact, should be hard to beat. If we don't score many, however, we ain't going nowhere.

I think we've got a good manager.

Keep the..... ;)

We need another striker and a lot of things to go right.

IF Connolly is the player he can be not the player he was last season and IF Kinsboro is the holding midfield player that Joey wasn't and iIF one of Gerrbrand or Johanson turn out to be the verbal leaders we desperately need in defence then and only then will we have a good chance.

A lot of ifs and buts if you ask me, but there is potential.

I personally think you have the right squad to get a play-off place at least this season. Although, I think you should be looking for the last automatic place.

May need another striker but I think you will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season

Boston Fan

well, last year i went to 6 leicester games at the walkers, and witnessed 5 losses and a draw. the team i saw at leicester v celtic was not a mid 30's tea party, their was some good (young) players. if they can sort it out well i think they could surprise everyone and get up in the top 6

well, last year i went to 6 leicester games at the walkers, and witnessed 5 losses and a draw. the team i saw at leicester v celtic was not a mid 30's tea party, their was some good (young) players. if they can sort it out well i think they could surprise everyone and get up in the top 6

145889[/snapback]

Please stay away this season ;)

145889[/snapback]

Kevin Pressman had that very same problem.

Archived