Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lush

Have we enough?

Weve just played 2 teams that played champions league last season. We aquited ourselves admirably, not showing any signs of last seasons drabble.

Against celtic, we were without our main striker and kornisbo. gerrbrand had only just landed, and we seen what he can do tonight.

Tonight we started without

douglas

maybury stearman maccarthy gilbert

hughes kornisbo

morris connolly

...and did very well.

Thinking or promotion, or should we keep a cool head and take things as they come?

i'm going to stick my neck o the line and say with another striker i think we can definitly get promoted automatically

144170[/snapback]

I agree, we cant rely on connolly to score all the goals (thats if he's stayin), we need two strikers that can score on a regular basis like the three teams that were promoted last season

i don't think you can take that much from the friendlies, didn't we play well against Barca last year? i think we will have to wait until the first month of the campaign is over to tell if we have a realistic promotion chance, selling connolly would surely be a very silly move though.

We are going no where if we do not buy/loan a decent striker. Dion will not last the season, MDV will get no more than 10 goals, Connolly is overrated based on last seasons performances. So where do you think the goals are going to come from if we don't get a player that knows the the whole point of the game is to put the ball in that funny shaped object at the end of the pitch :mad:

It wasnt as if Celtic and Inter were going all out for the win which is what we will be facing throughout the season. Inter werent exactly full strength either.

I think we have enough talent to hold our own this season, I'm not sure we will be good enough to win promotion but we'll have to wait and see.

The last few years of watching Leicester City have made me very pessimistic :P

Inter's midfield would have walked into a premiership side, maybe not the big 3 but Karagounis, probably the worst of them, would be a starter for a mid table side. I still think the team they put out would be better than a lot of teams in The Championship anyway.

That said, i didn't think the performance was too great yesterday. We need Connolly to stay and start, there's just no pace up front with Dublin and MdV.

I'm not sure about the upcoming season. I don't like the way Levein always seems to favour the players after a mediocre performance. I pressume he must have been good friends with DeVreis while at Hearts as seems to be blind to how bad he plays at times. We deparately need at 20 goals a season striker if we are to progress and there is now way Connolly is up to that. I seen Connolly a few times last season and thought he was awful, basically a poor mans Dickov so it wouldn't bother me if he moved on at all. We'll have to wait and see I spose how it goes. I keep having this nightmare of Nalis rattling in a 25 yarder against us in first game.

:(

Maybe not promotion but top 10 finish would be reasonable

144286[/snapback]

If we finished 10th it would not be resonable in my eyes, top 3-6 is resonable, 1 and 2 is possible.

144334[/snapback]

It would be reasonable to finish in top 10 if Leicester played like they did last season but if they play to their potetinal top 2 is a possibilty

It wasnt as if Celtic and Inter were going all out for the win

144270[/snapback]

I`d like to point out the difference between the state of the 2 city teams that played celtic in recent years.

The last time, we had a premier league team with dickov savage izzet etc and we lost 0-1.

This time we had no strike force, no solid midfield duo, we came off the back of possibly our worst season since the `oxford` season 15 years ago, and kept a clean sheet.

Progress.

Be interesting to see the teams from both games?

We deparately need at 20 goals a season striker if we are to progress and there is now way Connolly is up to that. I seen Connolly a few times last season and thought he was awful, basically a poor mans Dickov so it wouldn't bother me if he moved on at all.

144312[/snapback]

Do you think we have a better team/squad than 12 months ago?

We deparately need at 20 goals a season striker if we are to progress and there is now way Connolly is up to that. I seen Connolly a few times last season and thought he was awful, basically a poor mans Dickov so it wouldn't bother me if he moved on at all.

144312[/snapback]

144353[/snapback]

i do, a lot more youth anyway

Yes we have a better squad now for sure but I worry if Levein is up to the task of motivating them to greatness. I'm a scot but even I think the SPL is a bit farcical outside of the Old Firm. Hears weren't even that good under Levein, at times awful.

144312[/snapback]

144353[/snapback]

i do, a lot more youth anyway

144359[/snapback]

ME TOO, so given the disticnt possibility that we`ll create more chances with our better equiped team and squad, our strikers will get better/more chances to score.

Just maybe...they WILL score more?

Banging on about what we did last season, has little relevance to this current campaign.

Don't like using phrases that Micky Adams used to use but the Championship is a marathon not a sprint. If after the first month of the season we're not doing very well then all is not lost. Last seasons champions, Sunderland, had a terrible August but went on to win the league. They won 1 against Crewe, drew with QPR and Wigan and lost to Coventry, newly promoted Plymouth and Reading. Proof if ever I've seen it that the first month of the season doesn't always show you how the season's going to pan out. Equally, if we win all our games in August, it doesn't mean we're going to win the league.

Maybe not promotion but top 10 finish would be reasonable

144286[/snapback]

we arent going to get automatic promotion we dont have the firepower to do so, and anyone we do sign upfront now will not be a first choice at another team and therefore wont be scoring 20goals this season....

I would agree with Foxes Wizard - top10 means we have improved by 5 places last season and we have built a squad that will be together for another year or 2 at least...most teams take 2 years to play with each other to get promoted - West Ham, Sunderland, Wigan had many years building their team to get it stronger....

You cant take much out of the friendlies...didnt we draw 3-3 against Lazio the season we went down, with Sturridge netting 2? :unsure: Inter were poor by their standards last night and we didnt ever really look like hitting the back of the net. No chances that were clear cut and unless we can create something (and then take these chances) we will be lucky to get top10

144312[/snapback]

144353[/snapback]

Unquestionably. Furthermore being younger, faster players I believe they are more valuable and this factor will give CL greater flexibility as things evolve.

Losing Wes was a major blow against the net value equation but Stearman and Sheehan should emerge this year as a further bonus

The real key now lies in getting a striker or even two if the funds will stretch but they need to be better than what we have and that won't be easy.

My feeling is this team will challenge for a top six place but much will depend on what the other manager's have been doing (cos they won't have been sitting idle).

Williams and Connolly are the worries for me. Neither appear to be great players yet both have a bit of something. They worry me because consistency is so important in a footballer.

Williams and Connolly are the worries for me. Neither appear to be great players yet both have a bit of something. They worry me because consistency is so important in a footballer.

144409[/snapback]

What inconsistency does connolly show?

Archived