Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
C-man

Golf

As long as it's not at Kirby Muxloe Golf Club and includes a meal :o

MAN DIES, 40 SICK AFTER GOLF MEAL

More News | Back to home page

BY GARY MITCHELL

10:30 - 29 July 2005

One man died and dozens were left ill after an outbreak of food poisoning at a golf club.

Health officials have confirmed a number of people have been infected by deadly salmonella bacteria.

The outbreak is understood to have happened after a golf tournament which was followed by a dinner at Kirby Muxloe Golf Club at the end of last month.

About 40 people are believed to have been taken ill. The man who died is John O'Brien, of Barry Drive, Leicester Forest East. It is understood that Mr O'Brien, a former oil worker in Oman, was in his 70s. It is not known exactly when he died.

His wife, Doreen, was too distraught last night to speak.

Club manager Brian Woodcock said yesterday that he was aware that a member had died.

He said health officers inspected the premises, in Station Road, Kirby Muxloe, after they were given a tip-off by one of the victims' doctors.

Mr Woodcock said the club kitchen had been closed down "voluntarily" following an inspection by health officers.

The kitchen has been closed since July 7, and will remain shut "indefinitely" while the outbreak is investigated. A spokeswoman for Blaby District Council's environmental health team said: "We can confirm that one person has died and we offer our condolences to the family at this difficult time."

Salmonella is commonly found in under-cooked poultry and eggs.

Members of the club told of their shock at what had happened.

One, who was not at the event and did not want to be identified, said: "My understanding is there was an event during the day followed by a dinner at the club.

"About 40 people fell ill in the days after that, and one guy took very ill indeed and he has died."

Another member, who was not at the event and also did not wish to be named, said: "The man who died was not a regular member and none of us knew him very well. They would have eaten all kinds of things at the meal, such as fish and chicken."

It is believed the club has a catering contract with an external firm, which has not yet been identified.

The health team spokeswoman said there was no cause for concern about the safety of food sold in the area or for the wider public.

Anyone who feels that they may have been affected should contact their GP, or health officers on 0116 275 0555.

As long as it's not at Kirby Muxloe Golf Club and includes a meal  :o

MAN DIES, 40 SICK AFTER GOLF MEAL

More News | Back to home page

BY GARY MITCHELL

10:30 - 29 July 2005

One man died and dozens were left ill after an outbreak of food poisoning at a golf club.

Health officials have confirmed a number of people have been infected by deadly salmonella bacteria.

The outbreak is understood to have happened after a golf tournament which was followed by a dinner at Kirby Muxloe Golf Club at the end of last month.

About 40 people are believed to have been taken ill. The man who died is John O'Brien, of Barry Drive, Leicester Forest East. It is understood that Mr O'Brien, a former oil worker in Oman, was in his 70s. It is not known exactly when he died.

His wife, Doreen, was too distraught last night to speak.

Club manager Brian Woodcock said yesterday that he was aware that a member had died.

He said health officers inspected the premises, in Station Road, Kirby Muxloe, after they were given a tip-off by one of the victims' doctors.

Mr Woodcock said the club kitchen had been closed down "voluntarily" following an inspection by health officers.

The kitchen has been closed since July 7, and will remain shut "indefinitely" while the outbreak is investigated. A spokeswoman for Blaby District Council's environmental health team said: "We can confirm that one person has died and we offer our condolences to the family at this difficult time."

Salmonella is commonly found in under-cooked poultry and eggs.

Members of the club told of their shock at what had happened.

One, who was not at the event and did not want to be identified, said: "My understanding is there was an event during the day followed by a dinner at the club.

"About 40 people fell ill in the days after that, and one guy took very ill indeed and he has died."

Another member, who was not at the event and also did not wish to be named, said: "The man who died was not a regular member and none of us knew him very well. They would have eaten all kinds of things at the meal, such as fish and chicken."

It is believed the club has a catering contract with an external firm, which has not yet been identified.

The health team spokeswoman said there was no cause for concern about the safety of food sold in the area or for the wider public.

Anyone who feels that they may have been affected should contact their GP, or health officers on 0116 275 0555.

146219[/snapback]

Beedles Lake, Radcliffe on the Wreake, supplied our team with the best meal I've ever had at a golf club last week - fresh salmon, ham, chicken, all the trimmings the lot. Super. Course is pretty neutral too - difficult enough but not hard to find your wayward balls. I'd certainly be up for a get together. With about 25 guys you could form a society and play, say, once a month.

yeh that looks funny, might give it a watch, especially since that fit bird is in it

146728[/snapback]

Kirsty Gallagher and Jodie Kidd :wub:

Beedles Lake, Radcliffe on the Wreake, supplied our team with the best meal I've ever had at a golf club last week - fresh salmon, ham, chicken, all the trimmings the lot. Super. Course is pretty neutral too - difficult enough but not hard to find your wayward balls. I'd certainly be up for a get together. With about 25 guys you could form a society and play, say, once a month.

147039[/snapback]

Yeah thats what i was thinking about, would be a great event :)

'gofl requires goofy pants and a fat ass' (quoted from happy gilmore) possibly the best fim ever made

146514[/snapback]

Not sayin we watched it a lot but my youngest son used to recite every line with actions. Super film. Great if you're feelin a bit fed up.

Kirsty Gallagher and Jodie Kidd  :wub:

Yeah thats what i was thinking about, would be a great event  :)

147124[/snapback]

Could we get Michelle Wie along as a guest? I could do with someone to help me find my ball in the rough.!!! :D:D:D

How?? Is this anything to do with your new job?

148087[/snapback]

Nope, we have a few County Council golf courses around Leicester, and every so often they provide free lessons to get more people invloved.

Nope, we have a few County Council golf courses around Leicester, and every so often they provide free lessons to get more people invloved.

148108[/snapback]

Cool. I wish they would do that sort of thing in Bedfordshite!

Archived