Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Molson Canadian

Real: Owen can leave if he wants

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3841294

Real Madrid will let Michael Owen leave after he was demoted to fifth-choice striker at the Bernabeu with Manchester United apparently heading the queue to sign the England ace.

With Ronaldo and Raul already ahead of the pint-sized striker in the pecking order, the Spanish giants have signed Brazilian strikers Robinho and Julio Baptista in the past week, further reducing Owen's first-team opportunities.

Sources at Real Madrid have now confirmed that they are willing to sell the striker, just a year after they bought him from Liverpool.

"Michael is popular with the fans and he is popular within the club, but if he comes to us and says that he believes the best thing for him is to leave, we will have to respect that," a senior source told The Sunday Times.

"He has been a great servant to us, we will treat him with the utmost decency and respect, and in the event that he decides to go, while obviously looking out for our own interests, we will be sure to look out for his too."

With a World Cup looming on the horizon, Owen is expected to make a transfer request in the coming days.

A return to the Premiership is already being mooted, with Old Trafford expected to be the favoured destination.

"Manchester United are clear favourites to sign Michael Owen after a series of developments that have made the England striker's departure from Real Madrid a certainty," reports The Observer.

"Though there have been no talks yet, informally both United and Real are aware that a deal is in the interests of both clubs."

Newcastle have already expressed an interest in signing the prolific forward but the player is thought to be unwilling to join a club which has failed to qualify for Europe.

A return to Merseyside has been all but ruled out after the Reds signed Peter Crouch, while Arsene Wenger is searching for a mdifielder and apparently does not believe that Owen would gel with Thierry Henry.

i wonder where he will end up, but i doubt he will go back to liverpool but a owen and rooney combination upfront for manchester united would be good....anyone got any suggestions ?

I wanted Liverpool to get him back because he is Liverpool born and bred and it would be strange to see him in a Utd shirt. But seeing as they have spent and bank robberies worth on Crouch i doubt they will get him.

I reckon Arsenal will go for him as they missed out on Baptista.

I get the impression that Owen and his family are quite settled and happy in Spain and would be loathed to leave. I cant see him going to a North West club if he does decide to leave out of respect to Liverpool leaving, as Hitesh said, Arsenal (or Chelsea) but to be honest I really cant see him there either.

I wanted Liverpool to get him back because he is Liverpool born and bred and it would be strange to see him in a Utd shirt. But seeing as they have spent and bank robberies worth on Crouch i doubt they will get him.

I reckon Arsenal will go for him as they missed out on Baptista.

147477[/snapback]

Lived in Wales didn't he?

I am disappointed for Owen. He scored 16 goals for them last season despite being a sub most games. That is a hugely respectable total considering it was his first season abroad.

I know Owen doesn't have things in his game that Ronaldo, Bapitista and Robinho have, but he is a proven goalscorer at every level and you certainly need a goalpoacher in any team.

I hope he does go to United, his goal will improve under Ferguson and it would benefit England too.

yeah it could a front 3 of Owen, Rooney and V Nitelrooy, or Rooney could play on the left like he has done a couple of times. Fergie has said he wants to groom Smith to be the Keane. I think Ole Gunnars contract has expired (not sure though) He's more of an impact player coming off the bench to turn things around

Solskjaer is now past it.

Smith is not a goalscorer, and Fergie is now playing him in midfield.

Saha isn't good enough to lead the Man U attack.

That leaves Rooney and RVN, and Owen if he comes.

Archived