Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Sky TV

TV DEAL THAT COULD WRECK PREMIERSHIP

Jul 31 2005

Paul Smith

IT COULD be the end of English football as we know it if the European Commission's bureacrats have their way.

For the past 13 years Sky Television have paid hundreds of millions of pounds into football in return for an exclusive contract to show live club matches.

The current deal, worth £1.02billion, provides vital income for our ambitious clubs.

The TV money has ensured they can recruit some of the world's greatest players - and pay their wages.

The likes of Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Gianfranco Zola have all savoured life in the Premiership after arriving from foreign fields.

But the biggest source of funding for the gravy train is in danger of drying up. And the consequences could be devastating.

It is believed that if the EC block an exclusive deal, Rupert Murdoch's men at Sky will slash any offer for just part of the Premiership coverage - and the days of billion-pound deals will be over.

Premier League chiefs fear the clubs would ditch collective bargaining and negotiate individual TV deals if the EC restricted bidding by Sky. The EC, in consultation with Ofcom - the UK competition authority - are determined to cut Sky's coverage by 50 per cent when negotiations with the Premier League begin in earnest next year.

They claim the present deal does not comply with European Union competition laws and are determined to allow other broadcasters to televise matches unopposed by Sky - even if it severely weakens the Premier League's attempts to negotiate the best revenue deal for their clubs. At the moment the 20 top-flight clubs are united by a collective bargaining agreement.

If the clubs are denied their biggest collective pay day when the new contract is sealed in 2007 there is the real danger that the big sides will go it alone and cream off the most lucrative deals.

That is a scenario many City experts believed the Glazers would exploit in the wake of their £895million take-over at Manchester United.

The Glazers insisted they were happy to stand four-square with the rest of the Premiership clubs. In two years' time, though, they may have no alternative but to opt out and go it alone. A breakaway by elite clubs in pursuit of their own TV deals would lead to financial crisis for the smaller clubs.

At present the TV revenue is dispersed across the board. Fifty per cent is shared equally among all 20 clubs. Another 25 per cent is paid in facility fees when a club appears on Sky and 25 per cent goes in merit payments.

These range from £400,000 for the bottom club and go up in £400,000 increments for every place above, so champions Chelsea got a bonus of £8m.

Parachute payments are received by the three relegated clubs for two seasons while £12.5m goes to the PFA, £5m to the Football League youth development and a further five per cent is paid to the Football Foundation.

Last season the champions Chelsea received a total of £32m while the bottom club, Southampton, were paid £18m.

The EC have vowed to prevent Sky from out-bidding their competitors when the next deal is put out to tender after they failed to restrict their coverage when the last agreement was struck in 2003.

The Premier League's last contract was divided into four separate packages, following pressure from the EC to encourage other broadcasters to compete with Sky.

Sky, who have covered the Premiership since its launch in 1992, retained their exclusivity by outbidding their rivals for every single package.

The EC are already exerting immense pressure on the Premier League and threatening legal action if they fail to abide by their wishes.

The Premier League refuse to make any comment about current negotiations for fear of antagonising the EC.

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League's chief executive, is spending much of his time trying to resolve the TV wrangle. His shuttle diplomacy has seen him make regular trips to Brussels in recent months.

Sky TV executives believe Murdoch will challenge any EC decision in the courts for restraint of trade

It is believed that if the EC block an exclusive deal, Rupert Murdoch's men at Sky will slash any offer for just part of the Premiership coverage - and the days of billion-pound deals will be over.

sky will want man utd, and maybe one or 2 others, if competition is weak.

Premier League chiefs fear the clubs would ditch collective bargaining and negotiate individual TV deals if the EC restricted bidding by Sky.

If the clubs are denied their biggest collective pay day when the new contract is sealed in 2007 there is the real danger that the big sides will go it alone and cream off the most lucrative deals.

That is exactly what clubs like manyoo chelsea and arsol want to do.

The EC, in consultation with Ofcom - the UK competition authority - are determined to cut Sky's coverage by 50 per cent when negotiations with the Premier League begin in earnest next year.

They claim the present deal does not comply with European Union competition laws and are determined to allow other broadcasters to televise matches unopposed by Sky

Its all about individualism, rather than protecting the footballing community as a whole.

That is a scenario many City experts believed the Glazers would exploit in the wake of their £895million take-over at Manchester United.

First £795M, now £895m, anyway, anyone with half a brain knows why the galzers have taken over manyoo, and good luck to them, because the people we elected to run the european parliament dont care about football fans.

The Premier League refuse to make any comment about current negotiations for fear of antagonising the EC.

And sky dont want subcribers, unsubscribing...

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League's chief executive, is spending much of his time trying to resolve the TV wrangle. His shuttle diplomacy has seen him make regular trips to Brussels in recent months.

Lucky sod, wish i had a first class travelling job, and all the other luxuries that come with it. Bloody glad im not paying sky a subscription anymore ;)

Sky TV executives believe Murdoch will challenge any EC decision in the courts for restraint of trade

:D can you imagine sky telling the truth? BREAKING NEWS we regret to inform all our 8million football subcribers, erm...we wont be showing premiership football in 2 years (cue mad exit of subscription...)

151575[/snapback]

sky will want man utd, and maybe one or 2 others, if competition is weak.

That is exactly what clubs like manyoo chelsea and arsol want to do.

Its all about individualism, rather than protecting the footballing community as a whole.

First £795M, now £895m, anyway, anyone with half a brain knows why the galzers have taken over manyoo, and good luck to them, because the people we elected to run the european parliament dont care about football fans.

And sky dont want subcribers, unsubscribing...

Lucky sod, wish i had a first class travelling job, and all the other luxuries that come with it. Bloody glad im not paying sky a subscription anymore ;)

:D can you imagine sky telling the truth? BREAKING NEWS we regret to inform all our 8million football subcribers, erm...we wont be showing premiership football in 2 years (cue mad exit of subscription...)

151575[/snapback]

151811[/snapback]

Wait for it........

I agree :D

It won't make any difference, the cvnts in the Premiersh|t don't share any of it around so it won't impact real football clubs.

151919[/snapback]

I think football will go bust, before we get morality back.

I always had the thought that football needs a total kick up the jacksi before it gets back to belonging to the fans. I remember when it was a fiver to stand in the members enclosure at Filbert Street, its so wrong how 'normal' people on average and below wages are being priced out of a game that was developed for what was then 'working class' people in the first place.

If we get a large enough number of fans in one big group then we can approach the FA and force change. I'm not gunna give you the website address yet as the servers down and I don't wanna embarass myself  :unsure:

152699[/snapback]

Good luck with it, if you need any help.........

Good luck with it, if you need any help.........

152773[/snapback]

I do need help, from every person who actually gives a sh|t about football.

No offence but "good luck with it" is the worst thing we can hear from anyone, basically meaning "don't look to me for help" but then you redeemed yourself with the last bit :D

I do need help, from every person who actually gives a sh|t about football.

No offence but "good luck with it" is the worst thing we can hear from anyone, basically meaning "don't look to me for help" but then you redeemed yourself with the last bit :D

152781[/snapback]

lol

When you require my help, let me know :)

Thanks Katie, you could start by reading "The Football Business" by David Conn. That should motivate you and open your eyes a bit to start off with :)

152919[/snapback]

Just because you are mates with Wellman doesnt mean you can spell my name wrong :thumbup:

Thanks Katie, you could start by reading "The Football Business" by David Conn. That should motivate you and open your eyes a bit to start off with :)

152919[/snapback]

The simple facts are, we either dont like paying £20, or we do.

We dont, so were ALL behind you and we dont need to read a book that probably costs more £`s than we need to spend or waste our time with.

Sorry to be blunt, but thats the bottom line.

What is your plan?

152919[/snapback]

:thumbup:

Good choice!

The simple facts are, we either dont like paying £20, or we do.

We dont, so were ALL behind you and we dont need to read a book that probably costs more £`s than we need to spend or waste our time with.

Sorry to be blunt, but thats the bottom line.

What is your plan?

153833[/snapback]

1. It's not all about how much it costs to go to a match.

2. There are these things called libraries

3. No need to get all arsey with me pel, I was just suggestin a book that Katassi might wanna read <_<

4. The book covers a hell of a lot more than just the cost of tickets.

Get a huge group of fans all united in one cause. Power in numbers an all that which is also why I wanna join up with Clubs In Crisis and the FSF. In a few years time we take a petition to the FA about what we want done, if they don't budge, we take action.

To save football.

155544[/snapback]

Football will never die whilst one of us has a football to kick.

You mean the business of football i gather?

Who cares, i love football, i dont care if professional footballers dont get paid, they`ll always be 11 people (preferably Leicester born) wana play for city.

Now tell me, are you really bothered if in future you dont have to pay the ridiculous some of £20 to watch a football match?

Archived