Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RizLCFC

PS3 Hard Drive Corrupt

Hi Guys

I have a PS3 320GB Slim and recently my hard drive became corrupt. I have tried formatting it in safe mode and a few other things but nothing has worked.

I wanted to format the hard drive by connecting it to my laptop via USB, but I don't know what cables I need to do this.

If any of you have any ideas or have experienced this yourself please can you advise me, all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Guys

I have a PS3 320GB Slim and recently my hard drive became corrupt. I have tried formatting it in safe mode and a few other things but nothing has worked.

I wanted to format the hard drive by connecting it to my laptop via USB, but I don't know what cables I need to do this.

If any of you have any ideas or have experienced this yourself please can you advise me, all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I wasn't aware you could fix a corrupt hard drive tbh. Others might be able to help though.

If it's just starting to fail and you want to rescue data though. If you do manage to connect it and can't find any data, try putting it in the freezer for a few hours as a last resort. I suggested this to my mate when his was dead and it brought it back to life long enough for him to transfer everything off it.

http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

I wasn't aware you could fix a corrupt hard drive tbh. Others might be able to help though.

If it's just starting to fail and you want to rescue data though. If you do manage to connect it and can't find any data, try putting it in the freezer for a few hours as a last resort. I suggested this to my mate when his was dead and it brought it back to life long enough for him to transfer everything off it.

http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

Cheers mate, some of the files are corrupt and I was told that you can format the hard drive and those files will be removed.

Cheers mate, some of the files are corrupt and I was told that you can format the hard drive and those files will be removed.

Ah right, fair enough, didn't realise it was just certain files. Good luck anyway!

Alright chap, registered just to help you out! lol

You'll need a 2.5'' SATA enclosure, get yourself to PC world, they do them for about £7, they're shit quality, but if you're careful with it, you'll be fine. Go to the website and put 029758 in the search box at the top, they had a few at St Georges last week when I went. It's a Dynamode 2.5'' SATA. You basically remove the HDD out of the PS3 and it's enclosure via the 4 screws on the top, carefully plug in the SATA connector from the box (only goes in one way) and plug the other end into your PC via the supplied cable. You can put it in the enclosure, but you don't need to screw it together.

Open My Computer or just Computer if you're on Win 7+, Right click on the drive you've plugged in (if you're not sure, unplug it and plug it in again, it'll pop up), and select format. Make sure it still says Fat32 and that it will format the entire 320gb, Quick Format should ideally be unticked for this. If there's any hidden partitions (format won't give you the 320gb option, but a lower denomination) then you'll need to use Diskpart (which is slightly more advanced, but easily doable with a bit of guidance)

Once the format is done, Unplug the HDD carefully from the enclosure, put it back into it's casing then back into the PS3. But don't turn it on just yet or you'll think it's broken.
You need to go to google and search for PS3 system update. The top link should be uk.playstation / system-software, click this, on the right you'll see "4.53 Download the latest system software to your PS3 now."

Go there and download the file. Now while that's downloading, you'll need a spare, empty USB memory stick 1GB should be fine and create a folder called PS3 (all caps) inside that create another folder called UPDATES (all caps), put the file you downloaded in the UPDATES folder, (should be called PS3UPDAT.PUP) plug that memory stick in to the usb on the front of the PS3 and switch it on. you'll get a load of waffle about not having software etc etc, press Start & Select at the same time, and it should start installing..

*Note: A corrupting hard drive has the potential for corrupting again at any point. If the corruption was caused by switching off while saving a game or updating software etc, then it could just be one off. But it may happen again. Also, by formatting you will lose anything you didn't back up. Including game saves and any media on the hard drive. It will be like having a new PS3. 

I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you have any issues. :thumbup:

You'll need a 2.5'' SATA enclosure, get yourself to PC world, they do them for about £7, they're shit quality, but if you're careful with it, you'll be fine. Go to the website and put 029758 in the search box at the top, they had a few at St Georges last week when I went. It's a Dynamode 2.5'' SATA. You basically remove the HDD out of the PS3 and it's enclosure via the 4 screws on the top, carefully plug in the SATA connector from the box (only goes in one way) and plug the other end into your PC via the supplied cable. You can put it in the enclosure, but you don't need to screw it together.

Open My Computer or just Computer if you're on Win 7+, Right click on the drive you've plugged in (if you're not sure, unplug it and plug it in again, it'll pop up), and select format. Make sure it still says Fat32 and that it will format the entire 320gb, Quick Format should ideally be unticked for this. If there's any hidden partitions (format won't give you the 320gb option, but a lower denomination) then you'll need to use Diskpart (which is slightly more advanced, but easily doable with a bit of guidance)

Once the format is done, Unplug the HDD carefully from the enclosure, put it back into it's casing then back into the PS3. But don't turn it on just yet or you'll think it's broken.

You need to go to google and search for PS3 system update. The top link should be uk.playstation / system-software, click this, on the right you'll see "4.53 Download the latest system software to your PS3 now."

Go there and download the file. Now while that's downloading, you'll need a spare, empty USB memory stick 1GB should be fine and create a folder called PS3 (all caps) inside that create another folder called UPDATES (all caps), put the file you downloaded in the UPDATES folder, (should be called PS3UPDAT.PUP) plug that memory stick in to the usb on the front of the PS3 and switch it on. you'll get a load of waffle about not having software etc etc, press Start & Select at the same time, and it should start installing..

*Note: A corrupting hard drive has the potential for corrupting again at any point. If the corruption was caused by switching off while saving a game or updating software etc, then it could just be one off. But it may happen again. Also, by formatting you will lose anything you didn't back up. Including game saves and any media on the hard drive. It will be like having a new PS3.

That's absolutely fantastic mate, thank you so much I'll get on this now and let you know how it goes, thanks again top stuff ðŸ‘

If anyone knows how to fix an overheated one that'll be good. It only turns on when it wants to now.

Without looking, it would be hard to say it's definitely X or Y. The overheating could be caused by a buildup of dust in the fan.

You could try the fan cleaning method, turn it off at the wall, hold the eject button down, and plug it in again with the button still pressed, this will basically cause the fan to spin as fast as it can for a bit then power off again. If you have a large buildup of dust though, this may not do a lot.

If you have a phillips screwdriver to hand, google for ps3 slim teardown, and you'll find the ifixit website, follow the pictures until you get to the picture of the fan as a close up shot. Undo those two screws you can see holding the fan down and look around there for any built up dust. Reverse what you just did to put it together again. (This will involve removing the warranty sticker though)

The fact it only sometimes turns on would suggest the heat has damaged the ps3 somewhat. When it does turn on, does the power light alternate between Red & Green at any point? This would indicate damaged components.

If not, if you could explain what it does to. Then I may be able to assist further. :thumbup:

The fact it only sometimes turns on would suggest the heat has damaged the ps3 somewhat. When it does turn on, does the power light alternate between Red & Green at any point? This would indicate damaged components.

If not, if you could explain what it does to. Then I may be able to assist further. :thumbup:

When it doesn't want to turn on, the power light goes green then red and beeps 3 times.

The warranty has expired on it anyway which takes the piss :(

Hi mate

I bought this external enclosure from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-SATA-to-USB-HARD-DRIVE-CADDY-HDD-CASE-ENCLOSURE-/350975590078?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item51b7c67ebe

I disconnected the HDD from the PS3, removed the bracket, connected the HDD to the enclosure and then the laptop but the HDD doesn't come up in my computer, it only comes up in devices and printers as 'USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge', right clicked on it in there but doesn't have the format option.

I've tried all sorts of combinations with the USB ports and SATA port on my laptop but nothing is making it come up in my computer.

Hi mate

I bought this external enclosure from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-SATA-to-USB-HARD-DRIVE-CADDY-HDD-CASE-ENCLOSURE-/350975590078?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item51b7c67ebe

I disconnected the HDD from the PS3, removed the bracket, connected the HDD to the enclosure and then the laptop but the HDD doesn't come up in my computer, it only comes up in devices and printers as 'USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge', right clicked on it in there but doesn't have the format option.

I've tried all sorts of combinations with the USB ports and SATA port on my laptop but nothing is making it come up in my computer.

Hey mate, cheers for PMing me, sorry to keep you waiting.

If you're using Windows 7, can you go to the Run Command (Win Key + R) and type in 'compmgmt.msc' without the apostrophes, then on the bar down the left, disk management and see if it shows up in there as 'Unallocated'? You may have to assign it a Drive Letter by right clicking on it and going to Change Drive Letter & Paths. If comp management doesn't see it then I don't think your laptop is sending enough power to the caddy, as it can see the bridge you're plugging in to the Hard Drive, but not the drive itself (can you hear the HDD spinning up when you've got it plugged in?) As a last resort, you could try formatting it from inside the PS3, I've never attempted this way, but plug your drive back in as it was before and follow the steps below:

Step 1: Turn off the PS3 so you have the red light on the front.

Step 2:

1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off..

Step 3:

1. Touch and hold the Power button again, you will hear the first beep, again for the PS3 to power on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep.  At that point release the Power button. You should see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

Plug in the USB cable to the PS3 and your controller and select option 5. You may still need to visit the playstation website in order to download the latest software when it's done if you get an error about their being no software etc.

If that way works, put the caddy in a cupboard until you have a laptop go kaput and you want to backup the documents etc to another drive.

Let me know if that method works.

I tried formatting inside the PS3 but that didn't work. Yes I can hear the HDD spinning when I connect it to the laptop and it does say unallocated in Disk Management.

Once I got into Disk Management a message came up saying I have to initialize the disk and it gives me 2 options, MBR or GPT. If I try and initialize it using MBR it fails and says 'Data error (cyclic redundancy check)', so I initialized it on GPT and it says online.

After that, when I right click on the drive it only has 3 options and they are: New Simple Volume, Properties and Help, nothing on format or changing drive letters.

Whereas, if I right click on my C, D or E drives it has the Format and Change Drive Letter and Paths options too.

Alright pal,

I'll take you down the advanced route, not an issue, but do follow the instructions carefully, as there's no "Are you sure" buttons here. Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the run command, type in DISKPART

You should get a black window pop up with DISKPART>

Type in LIST VOLUME and press enter. You will see a number of "volumes" appear, the PS3 hard drive should be one towards the bottom. If you're not sure, unplug it, do LIST VOLUME again, and take a look at which one vanished. Then plug it back in, and do LIST VOLUME a third time to see which one reappears (it should now be the last one in the list). Once you've figured out which one is the PS3, type in SELECT VOLUME <number> and press enter. it will now say Volume <number> is now the selected volume. Type in CLEAN then press enter. It should now say Diskpart succeeded in cleaning the disk. If you do LIST VOLUME again now, you should see that the drive you just cleaned is 0B in size and is "unusable".

What you now need to do is type in LIST DISK, then enter this should bring up fewer options than list volume, and one of these should be your PS3 HDD, you'll know which one it is because it'll be the only one with Size & Free being the same values. Once you've located the HDD in List Disk, type in SELECT DISK <number> replacing <number> with the number corresponding to your PS3 HDD. It will now say Disk <number> is now the selected disk. (It should never be disk 0, as 9/10 times this is your C drive) At this point we're going to "rebuild" the hard drive, so type in CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY. You should get another succeeded message. Now we need to make sure it's in the FAT32 format the PS3 requires. So type in FORMAT FS=FAT32 QUICK. You'll get a % completed, eventually followed by a successfully formatted volume.

Type in LIST DISK again, and make sure that the disk has 0B of free space. You should then be able to see it under My Computer, where you can apply the update as mentioned in post number 5.

Hi mate

I've got 2 HDDs for 2 different PS3s, one is working fine and one is corrupt as I said before. I have tried both of them in DISKPART and neither of them come up. I have 4 Volumes 0 to 4, they are my C, D and E drive, and 100MB System Restore Volume.

Strange, I'm assuming the good PS3 drive didn't show up in My Computer either? Could be due to the encryption that the PS3 started putting on the drives. I can think of two more things to try.

Assuming it's a Toshiba Drive, try their diagnostics software, found here http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities (It's the first diagnostics, says it works up to Vista, but no issues on Windows 7 for me) If this can't see it then,

Third party partitioning software, such as http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/index.html or http://www.partition-tool.com/ and see if they can see the drive. If not then it would appear nothing Windows based will and you'd need someone with access to a Linux Distro to read it and format it. 

Some computer shops may have the tools for that, but by that point, it may be cheaper to get back on ebay and just buy another 320gb 2.5'' hard drive.

Let me know how you get on with that, sorry I couldn't be of much more use.

Strange, I'm assuming the good PS3 drive didn't show up in My Computer either? Could be due to the encryption that the PS3 started putting on the drives. I can think of two more things to try.

Assuming it's a Toshiba Drive, try their diagnostics software, found here http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities (It's the first diagnostics, says it works up to Vista, but no issues on Windows 7 for me) If this can't see it then,

Third party partitioning software, such as http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/index.html or http://www.partition-tool.com/ and see if they can see the drive. If not then it would appear nothing Windows based will and you'd need someone with access to a Linux Distro to read it and format it.

Some computer shops may have the tools for that, but by that point, it may be cheaper to get back on ebay and just buy another 320gb 2.5'' hard drive.

Mate you've been fantastic, I'll give these two options a go and see what happens.

The Toshiba diagnostic tool recognised the HDD but I couldn't select it, I couldn't select any HDDs that came up on there for some reason. The FAT32Formatter didn't work.

I also tried the Partition Tool, that did recognise the drive and it does let me do things to it so what should I do from here?

Sorry to be a pain!

Make sure you have the free version, (found here: http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm) as the trial version doesn't let you apply any changes without a key... :dry: When installing this version, click custom install both times and untick the shitware that comes bundled with it. Then Finish

If it sees it, we should be good to go, right click on the part that says Disk <number> and click on Delete All Partitions. Make sure it's the right one, as usual. You should now have an unallocated 320gb drive in its place. Right click on the unallocated section, and create a new partition, a small window pops up, change Logical to Primary, change NTFS to FAT32, leave label blank. Make sure there's a drive letter, on the right, then click ok.

Then Click OK. Then go to General at the top. Then Apply Changes, it will say x processes are waiting to complete, complete now (or something similar) Click Ok/Yes and you should get x operations completed successfully.

You should now have an empty 320gb drive in which to install the updates as mentioned in post number 5.

The HDD just doesn't seem to cooperate so I've ended up buying a new one, couldn't have tried anything else but thank you so much for all your help, glad I can use my PS3 again :)

Glad to hear it mate, that would've been my next piece of advice anyway! That or buy an Xbox. lol

Archived