Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

International Call For Gilbert

Good luck to him. He looked decent defensively last night and got forward a couple of times. Much better than some of the fullbacks we've had in recent seasons like Rogers, Curtis and Makin. Once he's settled in here he should be a very good player in the future.

Good luck to him. He looked decent defensively last night and got forward a couple of times. Much better than some of the fullbacks we've had in recent seasons like Rogers, Curtis and Makin. Once he's settled in here he should be a very good player in the future.

154281[/snapback]

Well Craig obviously rates him, you rate him, the international selectors rate him so just shows how wrong I can be. Reckon my old eyes are just tellin me lies cos they've just seen him skinned to the bone for pace in two matches running.

Good luck to him of course. And I'll go and book that eye test. Old age, pal. There's nothing to be said for it at all. :):)

On the topic...well done to him! he did well for his first start last night. I thought he lacked a bit of confidence and maybe experience but i think under CL he can develop into a good full back.

Well Craig obviously rates him, you rate him, the international selectors rate him so just shows how wrong I can be. Reckon my old eyes are just tellin me lies cos they've just seen him skinned to the bone for pace in two matches running.

Good luck to him of course. And I'll go and book that eye test. Old age, pal. There's nothing to be said for it at all. :)  :)

154289[/snapback]

Thrac,

I agree with you, Gilbert got skinned a few times, but he did show a bit of promise. By all accounts, he is still carrying his knock, but in another game or two, he should be back to match fitness and we will be able to see if he can cut it or not. I think I can say that he is a better defensive option than Jordan (who I believe was at fault for one of the goals Watford conceded on Saturday).

I think he's got a long way to go to become the finished article. From what i've seen of him, he shows telling signs that he could be a very good full-back and Levein has obviously noticed this and signed him. Levein and co will kick him on to the next level and he'll become a good player. I like the look of Sheehan, I really do. I personally think he looks like at more of an advanced stage than Gilbert.

Good luck to him of course. And I'll go and book that eye test. Old age, pal. There's nothing to be said for it at all. :)  :)

154289[/snapback]

Well, he only played for 10-15 minutes on Saturday, and Stoke do have two good wingers. Perhaps that should be taken into consideration.

How far off do people think Gilbert is of making the Wales senior squad?

154291[/snapback]

A while. Give him a couple of seasons establishing himself in the first team squad and then he will become a regualr in the national squad as long as he continues to develop as a player. He will start to break in to the first team national when he becomes an established regular in the Leicester squad.

Thrac,

I agree with you, Gilbert got skinned a few times, but he did show a bit of promise.  By all accounts, he is still carrying his knock, but in another game or two, he should be back to match fitness and we will be able to see if he can cut it or not.  I think I can say that he is a better defensive option than Jordan (who I believe was at fault for one of the goals Watford conceded on Saturday).

154305[/snapback]

I certainly never carried a torch for Jordan and if Gilbert turns out a good full-back I'll be pleased as punch and happy to acknowledge it. I've only commented on what I saw, which was a young kid left trailing for pace in both the matches he's played so far.

If you say an injury has clipped his wings that's a relief but it does beg the question why play him (unfit) when you could be playing Stearman/Gerrbrand etc.?

Apparently CL didn't expect him to play for 90 minutes the other evening, and Colin Gibson alleged it is match fitness he is lacking. The only way he'll get up to speed is playing games.

We got away with it the other night, and I am yet to be disappointed by a CL signing. Not even big Douglas :P

Archived