Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Conn the gone?

The best way for a manager to attract the attention of other managers to his players is to publicly say, I hope no one tries to buy any of my players with an offer we can’t refuse.

CL is no fool, he knows this and I have doubt that if he has a player in mind, he will have lined up a better replacement for less money and a lower wage. So fear not my fellow fans. CL will do the right thing.

I can't see any club in the Premiership coming in for Connolly - He's never played at that level before, and I can't see any club offering £1 Million for his services. He may well have the ability to play there, but I'm not sure clubs at the bottom would be prepared to take that risk.

I can't see any club in the Premiership coming in for Connolly - He's never played at that level before, and I can't see any club offering £1 Million for his services. He may well have the ability to play there, but I'm not sure clubs at the bottom would be prepared to take that risk.

158111[/snapback]

Sound assessment..

I think any Premiership club considering Connolly will wait until the January window, rather than taking a gamble now. If he continues as he's started, an in-form striker is more desirable than one low in confidence.

Dickov seemed to be banging the goals in and he only scraped to 20 in our promotion season under Adams I seem to recall. It is harder than it sounds, but obviously I hope you're right.

158227[/snapback]

Dickov only got 16 I think.

17 in the league and 3 in the cups.

Dickov has never been prolific though, Connolly has.

158236[/snapback]

Dickov has consistently played in the top division whilst DC hasn't ever played there, maybe this explains the amount of goals per season?

Williams or Connolly?

Why will Connolly get 20 this season? Obviously I can only go on opinion and loose facts but here's my theory.

It took Connolly 6 months to get to 4 league goals (he signed in July and got his 4th goal against QPR in January). He ended the season on 13 goals, so scored 10 goals in the last half of the season. I would be very surprised if Connolly only got another 10-12 goals for us this season, I just personally believe that he's got over his bad spell (which was proved in the last 10 games of the season) and that he'll score his usual 20 goals a season which he did whilst at Wimbledon and in Holland.

The team has improved and the results will follow, the way we play seems to suit Connolly's game more and he'll score us 20+ goals, good strikers do. I admit I thought he'd score 20 last season, but things don't always go to plan. But the fact is, he's a quality striker and has scored 20+ goals in the past and with his record he surely should be given the benefit of the doubt that last season was just a rough patch for him.

He's scored 4 goals in 3 games and had quite a dubious one ruled out at Ipswich, which on another day would have been allowed and he'd have 5 in 3. One of the reasons he didn't score many last season was he struggled to get off the mark and his confidence suffered. Scoring alot of goals at the start of the season on the back end of a good finish to the previous one does no end for your confidence and that's why we are seeing a different player.

20 goals? Piece of piss

157787[/snapback]

That and the fact that he was getting no service early on. The hoof tactic whereby we bypassed the midfield and hoped that Conners would grow 6" to be able to head the damn thing didn't work out for him! lol

Dickov has consistently played in the top division whilst DC hasn't ever played there, maybe this explains the amount of goals per season?

158325[/snapback]

:huh: Hes played in division one (2 seasons) and two for man city (1 season) and couldn't break into their first team in the prem. Equally he couldn't break into Arsenals first team, and now he is warming the Blackburn bench. Add to that his year in div 1 with us and you could hardly say that hes consistently been in the top division...last year was his second sesason in the top division as a first choise striker!

He's a good player with plenty of heart but he has never been what you would class as a natural finisher. I remember him even saying that in an interview a couple of seasons back...Alan Cork and MA did a lot of work with him and his finishing.

:huh: Hes played in division one (2 seasons) and two for man city (1 season) and couldn't break into their first team in the prem.  Equally he couldn't break into Arsenals first team, and now he is warming the Blackburn bench.  Add to that his year in div 1 with us and you could hardly say that hes consistently been in the top division...last year was his second sesason in the top division as a first choise striker! 

He's a good player with plenty of heart but he has never been what you would class as a natural finisher.  I remember him even saying that in an interview a couple of seasons back...Alan Cork and MA did a lot of work with him and his finishing.

158340[/snapback]

Regardless of whether or not Dickov is a natural finisher or how many seasons he's played in the top flight, my point was that he was voted Players Player of the Year and Supporters Player of the Year while finishing top scorer in a promoted side and he only scored 17 league goals. For people to expect Connolly to get near to 25 in a side that can only harbour play-off ambitions at best is a bit strange in my opinion, especially considering his none-too-impressive record last season.

Everyone needs to score goals to get us out of this league, you can't pin your hopes on one man. Last time we went up, Scowy and Deane were both in double figures, and muz was supplying dangerous balls that we were converting.

We don't currently have anyone other than connolly capable of reaching double figures. Or for that matter anyone who really does anything from a set piece!

Everyone needs to score goals to get us out of this league, you can't pin your hopes on one man.  Last time we went up, Scowy and Deane were both in double figures, and muz was supplying dangerous balls that we were converting.

We don't currently have anyone other than connolly capable of reaching double figures.  Or for that matter anyone who really does anything from a set piece!

158355[/snapback]

True, which is why Connolly is not the difference between going up and staying down.

To be honest, a lot of our fans are being very naive about Levein's policy of signing younger players. You have to be realistic, and if the likes of McCarthy, Williams and Hughes continue to improve and attract interest from better clubs then the fees that they might command will keep the club going, added to the potential fees of Stearman, Wesolowski and Sheehan. I think the same goes for Connolly to a certain extent. We signed him for £500,000 so if we get a stupid offer, it makes sense to sell. That's the way it works. We might as well finish 15th without him rather than 10th with him.

Archived