Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Conn the gone?

Blanderson draws attention to the fact that City might not be able to resist a massive bid for one of their players and the names mentioned are Connolly, Maybury and Wilcox.

If that's not a bit of soft soap before they rip the heart out of the side I don't know what is.

And, I can promise you the massive bid won't be coming in for Wilcox or Maybury, that's for sure.

I was ridiculed for my tongue in cheek £10m assessment of Connolly but there's fans declaring that with having paid £500,000 for him we should get at least £1m. Now who's being ridiculous?

Cos where, will someone tell me, do you get someone of Connolly's qualities for £1m?

What are we having a f.....g car boot sale.

And as Levein is quoted as saying that if City accept a bid he won't like it but will have to lump it, I'd say, have you sorted out your replacements strategy yet?

No, I don't want him to go either and I would quite possibly resist any bid were I a director because we have a genuine chance of promotion this season. But, as I'm pursuaded daily on this forum...not everyone agrees with me and the directors will probably sell.

I just hope they've got the nerve to hold out for what the guy is really worth.

Cos, WITHOUT HIM AND IF WE DON'T GET PROPER REPLACEMENTS, we won't get many goals, we won't get promoted and we might easily be fighting our battles at the bottom because the players we have got will be cheesed off.

So Craig. You've got 14 days to sort out alternatives in case he's sold and to keep the train on the tracks.

Sunderland have got Gray now, the only clubs that would come in for conners are the teams that went up I think, theres no chance of going back to West Ham so leaves Wigan who unfortunately have £3m to splash around! Please let them bid for Ashton.

Only prob is who would you rather have

Ashton - £7.5m

Connolly - £1.5m MAX!

I don't like the tone of Blanderson's story. It's got an all too familiar ring.

And yes, I do tend to look for the dark side before I bump my head. After years of running sports teams it became a habit.

So did working out how to counter a problem before it hit you because that was the best way to stay on top. It is those who don't anticipate things who lose the initiative and sometimes lose their job.

Sunderland have got Gray now, the only clubs that would come in for conners are the teams that went up I think, theres no chance of going back to West Ham so leaves Wigan who unfortunately have £3m to splash around! Please let them bid for Ashton.

Only prob is who would you rather have

Ashton - £7.5m

Connolly - £1.5m MAX!

157726[/snapback]

I hope the directors read those figures before they value Connolly.

Are you saying he is worth one fifth of Ashton?. Cos, given the choice, I know which one I'd rather buy. Even if the money were evens.

But, there you are. I expect to be in a minority of one over that statement but I can live with it,

Are you saying he is worth one fifth of Ashton?. Cos, given the choice, I know which one I'd rather buy. Even if the money were evens.

But, there you are. I expect to be in a minority of one over that statement but I can live with it,

157736[/snapback]

I'd rather have Connolly, anyday.

I don't like the tone of Blanderson's story. It's got an all too familiar ring.

157730[/snapback]

It wouldn't be the first time that good old Bill has got his story wrong, or written something to provoke a reaction.

It's only natural that we should accept reasonable bids for our players. Even when we were in the Premiership under O'Neill and Taylor, we were still essentially being run as a selling club (Heskey and Lennon). If you're expected to be towards the top of the Championship then you can afford to turn down bids like Norwich and Palace have for Ashton and Johnson because you know they will score the goals that are so vital in this division. Connolly still has everything to prove to us, it's not as if he has shown his full worth yet.

We lost the right to turn down reasonable bids for our players through the years of financial mis-management and the dreadful season we had last year. It's all very well wanting to hang onto players but you have to look at things realistically. Connolly won't be the difference between automatic promotion and staying in this division. If he had proved himself last year it may have been a different story but the team as a whole isn't good enough to assume that we will be in the top six let alone chasing automatic promotion. There are far too many weaknesses. As such, if we get a bid for Connolly then the priority has to be balancing the books. The £7.5million figure bandied around for Ashton is utterly ridiculous, a product of Norwich's continued insistence that they won't sell, Wigan's massive transfer funds and their sale of Ellington (incidentally, a 24-goal Championship striker being sold for £3million albeit in contract expiry circumstances).

The figure that the wage bill is gradually being reduced to shows that balancing the books is increasingly the priority until Levein and the players prove they are in with a decent shout of promotion.

It wouldn't be the first time that good old Bill has got his story wrong, or written something to provoke a reaction.

157746[/snapback]

That's the best hope we've got and it did cross my mind.

I then I thought back to Connolly's absence from pre-season friendlies and yet, his obvious fitness, when he did play in the opening match.

Had City been alerted that someone (Wigan) wanted to buy him once they sold their man and that sale just didn't materialise in time.

Or is this just me putting two and two together and making five?

That's the best hope we've got and it did cross my mind.

I then I thought back to Connolly's absence from pre-season friendlies and yet, his obvious fitness, when he did play in the opening match.

Had City been alerted that someone (Wigan) wanted to buy him once they sold their man and that sale just didn't materialise in time.

Or is this just me putting two and two together and making five?

157751[/snapback]

It was Sunderland who wanted him. The only other clubs who sniffed round him were championship clubs, trust me.

It's only natural that we should accept reasonable bids for our players. Even when we were in the Premiership under O'Neill and Taylor, we were still essentially being run as a selling club (Heskey and Lennon). If you're expected to be towards the top of the Championship then you can afford to turn down bids like Norwich and Palace have for Ashton and Johnson because you know they will score the goals that are so vital in this division. Connolly still has everything to prove to us, it's not as if he has shown his full worth yet.

We lost the right to turn down reasonable bids for our players through the years of financial mis-management and the dreadful season we had last year. It's all very well wanting to hang onto players but you have to look at things realistically. Connolly won't be the difference between automatic promotion and staying in this division. If he had proved himself last year it may have been a different story but the team as a whole isn't good enough to assume that we will be in the top six let alone chasing automatic promotion. There are far too many weaknesses. As such, if we get a bid for Connolly then the priority has to be balancing the books. The £7.5million figure bandied around for Ashton is utterly ridiculous, a product of Norwich's continued insistence that they won't sell, Wigan's massive transfer funds and their sale of Ellington (incidentally, a 24-goal Championship striker being sold for £3million albeit in contract expiry circumstances).

The figure that the wage bill is gradually being reduced to shows that balancing the books is increasingly the priority until Levein and the players prove they are in with a decent shout of promotion.

157749[/snapback]

Connolly will score atleast 20 goals this season so although that might not guarantee us promotion i'm sure it would add up to a certain amount of points that without him and a good replacement we'd be ****ed.

Even the wankers on here and other forums who slagged Connolly off last season have had to admit that they have got it wrong about him and he had just had a bad season like players often do. His scoring record before he got here proves he's no mug, he's in the top 6 strikers in this league without a doubt.

Ashton

Johnson

Lita

Connolly

Nugent

Rasiak

Last season Tiatto & Williams were watched by Premiership clubs, not aware of Connolly interest.

Alan Pardew was at the Inter Milan games so was obviously watching someone but wouldn't have seen Connolly

157758[/snapback]

He wouldn't want Connolly back, Connolly told him to bollocks.

Williams is one that worries me, he is getting better and better and it's only time someone comes looking. I still think teams would be reluctant to pay more than we paid for him and the club would be c*nts to accept anything less than £1 million for him.

thracian, this story is a load of rumours and you reckon that we could get more than 1.5 million for Connolly. look at the transfer market now there is not as much money and there are plenty of players who could replace connolly. whoever said 7.5 million for Ashton is ridiculous, 3 million - 4million tops.

West ham have just signed Bellion on a one year loan deal so that probably rules then out of a connolly bid as this gives them enough strikers.

IF we did get 1-2 million fo connoly i would go in for Clinton Morrison @ brum, good player that would be great in the Championship.

He wouldn't want Connolly back, Connolly told him to bollocks.

Williams is one that worries me, he is getting better and better and it's only time someone comes looking. I still think teams would be reluctant to pay more than we paid for him and the club would be c*nts to accept anything less than £1 million for him.

157761[/snapback]

Don't believe they would. During the shareholders meeting CL rated him as the most improved player in recent months & said he didn't want to sell

157736[/snapback]

Id rather have Ashton - maybe a swaps on the cards :ph34r::P

Connolly will score atleast 20 goals this season so although that might not guarantee us promotion i'm sure it would add up to a certain amount of points that without him and a good replacement we'd be ****ed.

Even the wankers on here and other forums who slagged Connolly off last season have had to admit that they have got it wrong about him and he had just had a bad season like players often do. His scoring record before he got here proves he's no mug, he's in the top 6 strikers in this league without a doubt.

Ashton

Johnson

Lita

Connolly

Nugent

Rasiak

157757[/snapback]

I haven't slagged Connolly off exactly but why should he score at least 20 goals this season? Everyone presumed that last season. He's had a decent start but he still has everything to prove. How can people be expected to admit they have got it wrong about him? We've only played three games this season. If he's still scoring regularly at Christmas, then is the time to re-assess things.

He started scoring more regularly towards the end of last season but the team showed no signs whatsoever of improving its league position, if anything we got worse.

Don't believe they would. During the shareholders meeting CL rated him as the most improved player in recent months & said he didn't want to sell

157771[/snapback]

Williams or Connolly?

I haven't slagged Connolly off exactly but why should he score at least 20 goals this season? Everyone presumed that last season. He's had a decent start but he still has everything to prove. How can people be expected to admit they have got it wrong about him? We've only played three games this season. If he's still scoring regularly at Christmas, then is the time to re-assess things.

He started scoring more regularly towards the end of last season but the team showed no signs whatsoever of improving its league position, if anything we got worse.

157778[/snapback]

Why will Connolly get 20 this season? Obviously I can only go on opinion and loose facts but here's my theory.

It took Connolly 6 months to get to 4 league goals (he signed in July and got his 4th goal against QPR in January). He ended the season on 13 goals, so scored 10 goals in the last half of the season. I would be very surprised if Connolly only got another 10-12 goals for us this season, I just personally believe that he's got over his bad spell (which was proved in the last 10 games of the season) and that he'll score his usual 20 goals a season which he did whilst at Wimbledon and in Holland.

The team has improved and the results will follow, the way we play seems to suit Connolly's game more and he'll score us 20+ goals, good strikers do. I admit I thought he'd score 20 last season, but things don't always go to plan. But the fact is, he's a quality striker and has scored 20+ goals in the past and with his record he surely should be given the benefit of the doubt that last season was just a rough patch for him.

He's scored 4 goals in 3 games and had quite a dubious one ruled out at Ipswich, which on another day would have been allowed and he'd have 5 in 3. One of the reasons he didn't score many last season was he struggled to get off the mark and his confidence suffered. Scoring alot of goals at the start of the season on the back end of a good finish to the previous one does no end for your confidence and that's why we are seeing a different player.

20 goals? Piece of piss

Williams or Connolly?

Why will Connolly get 20 this season? Obviously I can only go on opinion and loose facts but here's my theory.

It took Connolly 6 months to get to 4 league goals (he signed in July and got his 4th goal against QPR in January). He ended the season on 13 goals, so scored 10 goals in the last half of the season. I would be very surprised if Connolly only got another 10-12 goals for us this season, I just personally believe that he's got over his bad spell (which was proved in the last 10 games of the season) and that he'll score his usual 20 goals a season which he did whilst at Wimbledon and in Holland.

The team has improved and the results will follow, the way we play seems to suit Connolly's game more and he'll score us 20+ goals, good strikers do. I admit I thought he'd score 20 last season, but things don't always go to plan. But the fact is, he's a quality striker and has scored 20+ goals in the past and with his record he surely should be given the benefit of the doubt that last season was just a rough patch for him.

He's scored 4 goals in 3 games and had quite a dubious one ruled out at Ipswich, which on another day would have been allowed and he'd have 5 in 3. One of the reasons he didn't score many last season was he struggled to get off the mark and his confidence suffered. Scoring alot of goals at the start of the season on the back end of a good finish to the previous one does no end for your confidence and that's why we are seeing a different player.

20 goals? Piece of piss

157787[/snapback]

That's sound. If I recall he missed a penalty early on and that effected his self belief. Also Mickey Adams was hardly a play- to- feet manager, nor was the team either settled or playing well. Everything is totally different now in terms of organisation and the approach expected. Pres-season I fancied him for 18 but with his good start I season no reason he shouldn't bag 20-25 with this side.

That's sound. If I recall he missed a penalty early on and that effected his self belief. Also Mickey Adams was hardly a play- to- feet manager, nor was the team either settled or playing well. Everything is totally different now in terms of organisation and the approach expected. Pres-season I fancied him for 18 but with his good start I season no reason he shouldn't bag 20-25 with this side.

157797[/snapback]

I said 23 and i'm sticking with 23. It is alot harder to score 20+ goals than it sounds, but the way he's been scoring since March/April time along with pre-season and this season he's on fire and it shouldn't be a problem.

He has scored 13 goals in his last 15 matches (7 in 11 at the back end of last season, 2 against Bodo Grimt and 4 in 3 this season)

Phenomenal.

Archived