Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluearmy 316

Won't be betting with Ladbrokes again

You really are a thoroughly pleasant character eh?

Are you an actual Doctor?

Eh, I call things as I see them, and for you to continue to defend 'Arry last season, despite him being a failure, you've got to be a bit mad.

No.

No offence.. But how the fook do you know?

A number of people on this forum use the term 'Lunatic'.. Which derived primarily in the UK The Lunacy Act....so well over 100 years ago. But the phrase is still used, shows someone's complete bloody ignorance and yes, causes offence.

When I hear people frequently use such a phrase, or 'spastic' or 'retard', it makes me consider them either to be a child, or lacking an education...

Oh, and disabled... There's another one.

None of it needed... Surely people can talk and write without using these terms?

Agreed on all accounts. Try to have some consideration and cut this language from all posts.

Agreed on all accounts. Try to have some consideration and cut this language from all posts.

Why? Things like lunatic are harmless - it's just slang for bonkers, and some opinions are clearly bonkers. As for bits like spastic, we'll I've already had this argument recently with my boss - it very much depends on your upbringing - things like this for instance: 

spastic is used in there, but it's american, so it's used as a synonym for clumsy - if someone means it in that manner, what exactly is wrong with that? Hell, using the american definition, that article was written by a spastic - there's clumsy mistakes in there, completely off on a tangent to reality. Language is far more fluid than you're acting - it's not the word that's offensive, it's the intended meaning - so what language do we cut? Slang, or words that can be intended as offensive? because if that's the case, you're going to have to ban nouns, and adjectives (****ing hell, if you're creative enough you can make an insult out of anything).

Finally, if someone says something stupid, they should be told that, not treated like a special little princess whose opinion is worth something. 

......it's not the word that's offensive, it's the intended meaning

Some words are used poorly and are derogatory. It's a bit of a fine line and I'll take them how I read them. To each there own on this forum.

Archived