Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Creaky Craig

Am I the only one who believes that both the fans and the man himself should start exploring just how good Craig Levein is as a manager.

He's had a good few months in charge now and in some ways has already transformed the club with faster, younger personnel and by re-focusing on the Academy.

The value of the team has increased, there are good players coming through the ranks, the atmosphere seems good, we even seemed to be playing some football until we went back to aerial predictability against Luton.

So what is he or the club lacking.

Well I would suggest the following:

Tactical acumen. Craig seems to have been outwitted on two occasions at least this season (Sheffield/Luton) and probably for half of the match against Crewe.

Motivation: There still seems to be a fear of attacking the game from the start and of maintaining that attitude through 90 minutes.

Coaching: There is little evidence from the corners and set-plays to suggest we actually have any coaches.

Player recognition: Craig sometimes seems a bit iffy about ignoring the trimmings and judging a player by his effectiveness.

Don't get me wrong. I still believe he's been a force for good overall but I think he needs to address these shortcomings and quickly.

I am being unfair? Or are there other shortcomings I've not listed. What does the forum think. Is Craig going to be clever and ruthless enough to get Leicester into the big time and to keep us there?.

Am I the only one who believes that both the fans and the man himself should start exploring just how good Craig Levein is as a manager.

He's had a good few months in charge now and in some ways has already transformed the club with faster, younger personnel and by re-focusing on the Academy.

The value of the team has increased, there are good players coming through the ranks, the atmosphere seems good, we even seemed to be playing some football until we went back to aerial predictability against Luton.

So what is he or the club lacking.

Well I would suggest the following:

Tactical acumen. Craig seems to have been outwitted on two occasions at least this season (Sheffield/Luton) and probably for half of the match against Crewe.

Motivation: There still seems to be a fear of attacking the game from the start and of maintaining that attitude through 90 minutes.

Coaching: There is little evidence from the corners and set-plays to suggest we actually have any coaches.

Player recognition: Craig sometimes seems a bit iffy about ignoring the trimmings and judging a player by his effectiveness.

Don't get me wrong. I still believe he's been a force for good overall but I think he needs to address these shortcomings and quickly.

I am being unfair? Or are there other shortcomings I've not listed. What does the forum think. Is Craig going to be clever and ruthless enough to get Leicester into the big time and to keep us there?.

I agree with all of that, but he's still pretty inexperienced as a manager, and in this country/league. In the long run I think that Leicester City Football Club will be in much better shape, and in a much better leauge position.

Thracian, I have to agree with your post.

To be honest I am beginning to see things in our play that I don't like, which do not work, and which are not being addressed. And as the saying goes, the buck stops with the manager.

Firstly and very important to me is our attacking and defending of corners/set pieces. We bring everybody back when defending corners yet we still concede a hatful of goals from them. Players don't mark properly or there are too many bodies which cause confusion. If we do clear the ball there is no outlet so it will simply come back again.

Then our attacking set pieces are awful (no elaboration needed).

Secondly, I cannot see how playing a narrow left side with Tiatto will break down teams that come to the WS simply to defend and sit back for a point. We need to attack teams and open them up, which just isn't happening right now.

Thirdly, I am slightly concerned about some of CL's purchases. Sylla started the first couple of games well but now looks out of sorts and offers nothing concrete in an attacking sense. Douglas hasn't inspired confidence yet. Gilbert has been a weak link in defence whenever I've seen him play. And we all know about De Vries too. Yes other signings have been great like Maybury and Hughes, and probably Johansson will be too.

Finally, our results haven't improved since last season. We have drawn games which we should have won and lost game which we should have drawn (at least). Another season in mid-table mediocrity (below 10th) isn't acceptable in my view.

First off all going to stop taking you boys onthe fixed odds coupon :S

Secondly have no doubts CL will be success down there,he was a bit slow of the mark in his first season with Hearts ,but turned out to be one of our best managers in a longtime.Ok his football wasnt pretty to watch sometimes,but we got results on a showstring budget(how times have changed :D )

Give him time lads ..he will come good

Secondly have no doubts CL will be success down there,he was a bit slow of the mark in his first season with Hearts ,but turned out to be one of our best managers in a longtime.Ok his football wasnt pretty to watch sometimes,but we got results on a showstring budget(how times have changed :D )

Seems to be that the football is good, but the results aren't, so it's the other way round :huh:

Cheers, and welcome!

I'd be happy to see shit proformances and win, said that for years now, obviously if we get both brilliant but if we plays shit and win i'll go away happy!

The only bad news for you now that Hearts now have a major backer in Romanov.

So no longer will Craig be allowed to raid Hearts for bargains.

Fair enough you got Maybury,who is a class act,and was a sore loss at the time.The MDV ..always be a legend in gorgie for his 4 goals against Edinburghs wee team(Hibs) .

Kisnorbo-Headless chicken...Has he played yet?

Joe Hammil-No more than a squad player with us,surprised when he made the move.

I sympathise with what you're saying. But I really believe that it's time that Leicester returned to being what it once was - a tough but thoroughly entertaining football team to watch. You cannot afford empty stands for too long so it's NOT just about winning but winning with style.

I sympathise with what you're saying. But I really believe that it's time that Leicester returned to being what it once was - a tough but thoroughly entertaining football team to watch. You cannot afford empty stands for too long so it's NOT just about winning but winning with style.

so what do you propose we do? Get rid of him and have another year of a manager getting HIS squad in, only to realise that the fans expectations may be that bit too high? :sleeping:

Well I'm sorry but Luton are a team we should beat. I don't believe those expectations are too high at all.

Right now Levein deserves every criticism he gets.

On the basis of yesterday's performance, there has been no progress whatsoever since the Adams era!

so what do you propose we do? Get rid of him and have another year of a manager getting HIS squad in, only to realise that the fans expectations may be that bit too high? :sleeping:

In a nutshell I'd like CL to commit to his favoured style of pressing the play, passing to feet and having plenty of width and not to modify it every time we come up against a club with a bit of pedigree. The two rottweillers doesn't work, that's apparent.

a tough but thoroughly entertaining football team to watch. You cannot afford empty stands for too long so it's NOT just about winning but winning with style.

When was that then the 70's with Weller, Wortho & Co?

Success came with O'Neill, but was it really winning with style?

Can remember 5-2 Sunderland with Collymore & Heskey in full flow but not many other wins which fit your description

When was that then the 70's with Weller, Wortho & Co?

Success came with O'Neill, but was it really winning with style?

Can remember 5-2 Sunderland with Collymore & Heskey in full flow but not many other wins which fit your description

There were a few - a 3-1 win at Villa and the famous 4-0 at Shame Park spring to mind.

Is it just me or is the 70s side really over-rated? I know we had some decent players but they as a team they under-achieved really badly. We certainly seemed to spend more time fighting relegation than challenging for the top six.

Right now I'd take any kind of win to get us into the top half of the league we're in!

Sixties City were wonderful to watch with the likes of Gordon Banks, Peter Shilton, Tony Knapp, Ian King, McLintock, Ian King, Colin Appleton, Howard Puffer Riley, Davie Gibson, Mike Stringfellow, Ken Keyworth, Derek Hines and Albert Cheeseborough. Take on anyone in this country they would. Two FA Cup Finals, top of the old First Division for a spell. Genuine class. The Weller/Worthington era tried to revive the tradition but they were never quite as good in my view.

at no point in the game was i confident that we could score/go on and win the match. however, before this match i was happy with performances even if the results were not as good as they could have been, everyone loses games and has a bad day, i'm hoping this is a one off, in a physical league like the ccc injuries can massively affect performances, i'd like to see how we do with a fully fit squad.

Archived