Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lamby

Charlton sign McLeod and Zheng Zhi

Charlton have completed the signing of Izale McLeod from MK Dons.

The Addicks will pay Milton Keynes Dons up to £1.55m for striker McLeod, who was League Two's joint leading scorer last term.

Alan Pardew is delighted with the signing and he told the official website: "I felt in the group of strikers that we had, we lacked someone with genuine speed and pace to stretch teams.

"Izzy is going to offer us that and I also feel that he is ready for the step up. He'll come into our pool as one of the strikers hoping to get us 25 goals.

"He's capable of that and his challenge now is to achieve that.â€

China captain Zheng Zhi is on the verge of re-signing for Charlton on a permanent deal.

Zheng Zhi, who spent the final months on loan at The Valley last season was expecting to sign for a Premiership club but no-one was interested, so he has opted to return to Charlton.

The club have now confirmed that Zheng will fly to London as soon as possible to put pen to paper, with manager Alan Pardew keen to ensure he joins up with his new colleagues ahead of Saturday's Championship season-opener against S****horpe United.

The fee is believed to be in the region of £2million and the midfielder has signed from Shandong Luneng on a 2-year-deal.

China captain Zheng Zhi is on the verge of re-signing for Charlton on a permanent deal.

Zheng Zhi, who spent the final months on loan at The Valley last season was expecting to sign for a Premiership club but no-one was interested, so he has opted to return to Charlton.

Lovely and blunt.

However you rate Charltons new signings, it must be said they have sold too many vital favourites to be classed as favourites IMO. They have heavily relied on Darren Bent to get them out of trouble in recent times and his departure will hurt them greatly. This division will be as tight as it was last season with no outstanding sides but if Charlton fans think they`ll have it easy at this level they`ll be making a huge mistake.

However you rate Charltons new signings, it must be said they have sold too many vital favourites to be classed as favourites IMO. They have heavily relied on Darren Bent to get them out of trouble in recent times and his departure will hurt them greatly. This division will be as tight as it was last season with no outstanding sides but if Charlton fans think they`ll have it easy at this level they`ll be making a huge mistake.

by the way pardew is talking he thinks they are gone piss the league easily. 25 goals my arse.

However you rate Charltons new signings, it must be said they have sold too many vital favourites to be classed as favourites IMO.

Thats somthing I've said in the past... beyond Bent and Carson there wasnt a whole lot that impressed about Charlton last leason (not too surprising considering they were relegated... but still) and with the loss of both those players I'm really not sure why some are marking them down as being likley to blow the league apart this season.

Their signings have been so-so IMHO, and some (like McLeod and Varney that have been brought in for a combined £4mil!) are massive risks... that said Pardew is a manager i have a lot of respect for and i can remember his signings at WestHam last time he was in the championship seeming suspect, but still i'd argue that Sheff Utd, West Brom (despite losing Koumas, Kamara and maybe Davies) and Wolves all have much better squads avalible.

Thats somthing I've said in the past... beyond Bent and Carson there wasnt a whole lot that impressed about Charlton last leason (not too surprising considering they were relegated... but still) and with the loss of both those players I'm really not sure why some are marking them down as being likley to blow the league apart this season.

Their signings have been so-so IMHO, and some (like McLeod and Varney that have been brought in for a combined £4mil!) are massive risks... that said Pardew is a manager i have a lot of respect for and i can remember his signings at WestHam last time he was in the championship seeming suspect, but still i'd argue that Sheff Utd, West Brom (despite losing Koumas, Kamara and maybe Davies) and Wolves all have much better squads avalible.

They also sold Luke Young, Dennis Rommedahl and Hreidarsson who were very important players.

They also sold Luke Young, Dennis Rommedahl and Hreidarsson who were very important players.

And at the same time you compare them to Brum who brought in a lot of "quality" after they went down or WestHam a few seasons back who had a strong squad for Pardew to work with anyway... just dont think it'll be easy for them, then again the relegated teams are always tipped to go up and it seldom has any real basis on the relegated team's strength. I mean plenty of "predictions" I've seen (Sky, BBC, 442 etc...) put Leeds as likley League One champions which even before they got hit with the 15 deduction was a bit of a strech and then there were the shed load of league predictions before last season that had the top three as Brum, WestBrom and Sunderland in that order... :rolleyes:

And at the same time you compare them to Brum who brought in a lot of "quality" after they went down or WestHam a few seasons back who had a strong squad for Pardew to work with anyway... just dont think it'll be easy for them, then again the relegated teams are always tipped to go up and it seldom has any real basis on the relegated team's strength. I mean plenty of "predictions" I've seen (Sky, BBC, 442 etc...) put Leeds as likley League One champions which even before they got hit with the 15 deduction was a bit of a strech and then there were the shed load of league predictions before last season that had the top three as Brum, WestBrom and Sunderland in that order... :rolleyes:

Yeah its almost lazy journalism! Just because a club has a big name it doesnt mean they`ll succeed but what is important is the personnel acquired. There are far too many other facets that need to be taken into consideration from how do the relegated players respond in playing at samll venues like Colchester or Scunny? Do they start by feeling sorry for themselves or are they here to fight for promotion? How do all the new players settle in and are the fans who are used to playing at a higher level now demand more and put more pressure on their players when things dont go so well??

We`ll have a decent picture of how the dust is settling come November and I expect Charlton to be amongst the front runners because this league is quite weak IMO but the door is open for the likes of us to mount a serious play-off place attempt, something that we have been nowhere near in recent seasons.

We`ll have a decent picture of how the dust is settling come November and I expect Charlton to be amongst the front runners because this league is quite weak IMO but the door is open for the likes of us to mount a serious play-off place attempt, something that we have been nowhere near in recent seasons.

Again I'd agree... the likes of Southampton (ignoring their financial situation) and Preston are weaker teams than they were last season, and while both Sheff Utd and Wolves seem to have strong squads there isnt much to chose between them a number of clubs, like Watford, WestBrom, Charlton and yeah Leicester... i think the tail end of the table isnt too hard to see and i think other clubs could get dragged in there, but there must be perhaps eight clubs that have largly comparable chances of promotion this season.

Despite the top of this division getting more even (that may just be the impression for us coz we've improved over the summer :cool: ), the gulf between this division and the prem is growing and is only going to get wider IMHO...

Hah, yeah, they were way off.

Wait what?

... :blush::whistle:

Yeah, but to be fair the predictions all had the order as WestBrom, Brum, Sunderland and then the likes of Preston and Coventry filling the play off places... it's not that it was way off, just that it smacked of lazy-ness, "Club A got relegated, so they must be favourites for promotion this year"... :frusty:

... :blush::whistle:

Yeah, but to be fair the predictions all had the order as WestBrom, Brum, Sunderland and then the likes of Preston and Coventry filling the play off places... it's not that it was way off, just that it smacked of lazy-ness, "Club A got relegated, so they must be favourites for promotion this year"... :frusty:

But they are. At least one of the automatic spots will go to a relegated club, and one of the playoff spots too. I don't think all three will be up there, usually at least one crumbles.

Archived