Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

fox_up_north

Member
  • Posts

    4,583
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by fox_up_north

  1. Nothing more to add. Just gutting and brings up a lot for me. Hope the family are as ok as they can be.
  2. Just a bunch of skinheads getting chased by a massive beach ball
  3. The grime thing....once of the most surreal things, as a teacher, I saw was when I worked with seriously at risk NEET kids. This lad I had was living with dad because mum made friends with a dealer who used her son's bedroom as his office for transactions. This lad was on the cusp of being ok because he wanted to be a videogame streamer and work with bikes. But then he was also into watching videos of rap battles that were streamed from inside jail cells. There absolutely is an element of grime that glorifies stabbing and, while I think it's rubbish music, I see parallels to 80s/90s rap. However, this British stuff does have a more sinister edge. I think both Jon and others are right - improve conditions for young urban youth and the messaging should change, but it can't hurt to clamp down on artists whose messaging is so violent. People carry knives, in my experience, to either feel more protected, to demonstrate toughness or to intend to kill/ maim. It all, seemingly, links back to the drug trade. Legalisation of certain drugs, along with making them "not cool" and you start to take the gangs out of it.
  4. The thing I most want to know is what was the knife? If it's anything other than something found in the kitchen, then that tells me we need a Dunblane-style crackdown on knives.
  5. Year of data through Octopus outgoing. 2.5kw array, single person household. Raw numbers in £ Used - (july 23-july 24) £319 Exported - (as above) £269 Essentially it means my year electric cost works out at around £50. Yes, it was worth it.
  6. That's the flipside. So many, particularly younger, teachers have gotten used to digital delivery. I teach mostly online but digital delivery of actual work, mostly rubbish. More groups of parents need phone-free agreements. It's just social expectation that gets them.
  7. This. 100%. Been in education 14 years and my god, the drop. Covid really exacerbated it but it was going downhill. One can sum it up as - had smartphones before they were 12 - had smartphones after they were 12
  8. It's only bloody Wednesday as well
  9. I don't feel that war is inevitable but I do feel that, in my life, the middle east has always had some form of conflict. Sometimes it's much more serious and sometimes it's more contained. It just seems to be an area constantly at war with itself and others.
  10. I have long thought this and seen comments that 9/11 is the "cultural" end to the 20th century.
  11. I hate to say it but I've seen a lot going around that we basically peaked in 2000 and it's been downhill since. I'm, sadly, inclined to agree.
  12. This is what makes it such a ridiculously delicate case, as I previously noted. The law really needs tightening up and clarifying, here.
  13. In what way? And have you felt this way before?
  14. The Huw Edwards thing is incredibly murky. It reads as if it was 3 instances of making sexual images of a child, which is a very very broad definition. It is incredibly important to treat these sorts of cases delicately. Britain had really shot itself in the foot, legally speaking, by allowing the 16-18 gray area to exist. For example: we have to REGULARLY explain to our 16-17 year old students that sharing pictures of themselves with boyfriends/ girlfriends, etc is in breach of this very law. We have also had instances where 17 year old students have been advertising online, upon websites which SHOULD be carrying out ID checks. This is not to say that Huw Edwards is "innocent" or whatever but it does highly the very real issues that crop up with inconsistent legislation and enforcement.
  15. I'd rather see doctor's workloads reduced so that they're not working stupid shifts to keep up with basic demand but, hopefully, this pay rise is palatable for now.
  16. No, no, it's the women who haven't had children who are the problem. I read an interesting point that the perfect example of the women that awful bloke described just so happens to be one Taylor Swift - mid 30s, no children, has cats instead. If I were running for VP, I really wouldn't attack a woman who is basically Miss America.
  17. So this has escalated into a protest outside Andy Burnham's offices in Manchester, in which the poster uses a still image from a BLM protest in the US and identifies the protest as "against police racism". I just don't feel that this is helpful to anyone.
  18. Place has been a ghost town since he left
  19. I'd go with anyone with a reach/ subscriber count above X should have to sign a monitoring register/ official body like Corgi. The idea being that your general "I like trains, here's my popular trains channel" will sign up and those that try to skirt it or avoid, will be the ones you actually want to keep an eye on.
  20. So Barton is particularly odd because he's VERY LGBT friendly. My late father attended some events with him, where Joey was putting across gay acceptance to kids. Dad had no concept of who he was and couldn't believe the same bloke he met was the Barton we all know. I will add that this was about 10 years ago, mind.
  21. Where's Michelle Mone, these days?
  22. Goddamn, it's always those bloody Liberal Democrats
  23. Speaking to US friends, their dislike is due to her time in charge of justice. She was seen as heavy handed and didn't put out a compassionate image. It's added to her being seen as two faced.
  24. My US friends don't like Harris and they're left leaning (for the US). She would lose handily against Trump. Sad to say they need a younger, white, well spoken man.
  25. Did you say cult or something else?
×
×
  • Create New...