Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Sheffield Wednesday

First Impressions

===========

The first 15 minutes were rather exciting... for me, the game lost just a bit of its appeal after that. But I am happy that we kept a lot more possession than in previous matches. And successfully protected the result!!!

Also, the team did seem to be well organised, players were talking to each other and so on (particularly in defence). I noticed Dion directing other players to their spots and handing out instructions (also taking some from CL during the first half).

There was a shared willingness to go after each ball... Hughes, in particular, never gave up and always went after the ball (and most of the times got it back for us). He was obviously delighted to be back playing. It was as if he had bags of stored energy to use just in this match :)

MDV obviously did manage to find the goal *twice*, so his finishing cannot be that dodgy. But I wasn't close to that spot, so I will let others comment on this. His second-half opportunities could have ended up slightly better, but perhaps the idea of scoring a hat-trick today was just too much for him :)

Sylla and Hammond added welcome pace to the game. The latter found himself marked by a couple of noticeably taller players, which made his life a bit difficult whenever a long, high shot was played in his direction.

Sheehan kept his ground. Occasionally misfired, but he wasn't the only one, due to the wet conditions today. Overall, a very positive performance.

Our opponents were scared of Hume. They booed him as soon as he came on. The first time he came forward, he was landed with a foul worth a yellow card (which was given). Pity he didn't have just a little more time, I am sure he would have scored.

As to Maybury, as usual, a solid performance.

Let's home we can keep this up!!!

We played well for the first 20 minutes. But it died off towards the end. Came out for the second half and sat back from the off, Wednesday were unlucky not to score through Graham hitting the post. Shame we looked scared to go forward again in the second half, each time we got it forward to the wings we'd pass it back to defence and then keeper. So although solid, a horrible defensive second half performance that won't up attendances.

Dion, although i'm not a fan of his in the slightest, tighted up the defence. Have to remember the opposition have scored 2 goals all season, i'll save my judgement for the next two away games. But his obsession with hoofing upto someone who can't head the ball isn't going to go down well with me.

Elvis played well, his pace up front is essential for us.

Hume hardly got a touch when he came on due to us insisting on playing out the game. Looked promising when he had the ball on just the one occasion, actually ran at the defence and nearly scored.

deserved three points but disagree with Cisono on a couple of things:

Hughes - thought he looked very tired and didnt give us the width that we needed. Poor Sheehan had to play some very tricky balls because Hughesy was doing a Tiatto across the pitch. Obviously on the ball though he is of a different class.

Sylla- He showed up for the first time this season and was definately one of if not the best player on the pitch.

Maybury - Thought he was poor once again. Distribution was poor and going forward he wasnt that great. Doesnt seem to have got going yet this season but i cant put my finger on why. Needs to improve but im sure he will :)

deserved three points but disagree with Cisono on a couple of things:

Hughes - thought he looked very tired and didnt give us the width that we needed. Poor Sheehan had to play some very tricky balls because Hughesy was doing a Tiatto across the pitch. Obviously on the ball though he is of a different class.

Sylla- He showed up for the first time this season and was definately one of if not the best player on the pitch.

Maybury - Thought he was poor once again. Distribution was poor and going forward he wasnt that great. Doesnt seem to have got going yet this season but i cant put my finger on why. Needs to improve but im sure he will :)

Maybury - ok, well, I don't expect him to be great going forward :)

Sylla - I don't disagree with you there either.

Maybury - ok, well, I don't expect him to be great going forward :)

Sylla - I don't disagree with you there either.

i do, i feel he slows the attack down too much, seems to go backwards a lot, when we all know he is a lot better than that.

Didn't think it was a good performance by any means, but we got the win so that's the main thing.

Rab was class, 4 top saves. I felt most of the lads were pretty average but Sheehan and Hughes did well on their first appearances of the season.

Archived