Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Too many excuses

Too many excuses. CL - Always moaning things haven't gone our way.

You have to make things happen, make your own luck... not wait for it to happen.

Time to be a bit active, assertive... not passive, downbeat and feeling sorry for ourselves.

I don't want to be too hard on Levein because I do like the way he's lowered the age of the squad etc but I just wish he wasn't so wet and passive.

The problem is that none of the team know where they are in the pecking order.

The players should know what the first choice team is,thus making the one's who are not first choice hungrier.This would also settle the players who are first choice and if CL needs to change the team for tactical reasons he should be able to do so without the first choice player thinking he's been dropped due to a bad performance.

The way things are at the minute none of the players know wtf is going on and this is unsettling the team,the last thing we need is another dressing room split like the last one

The problem is that none of the team know where they are in the pecking order.

The players should know what the first choice team is,thus making the one's who are not first choice hungrier.This would also settle the players who are first choice and if CL needs to change the team for tactical reasons he should be able to do so without the first choice player thinking he's been dropped due to a bad performance.

The way things are at the minute none of the players know wtf is going on and this is unsettling the team,the last thing we need is another dressing room split like the last one

it's a goodpoint, Levein keeps chopping and changing the line up, I think he should ahve kept what we had against Sheffield Wednesday. Players who are not in the starting 11 on a regular basis then will want to make sure that they are good enough to be challenging for a place in it... I also actually think we should really use De Vries on the bench and have Hume upfront, it's almost like De Vries was playing the defender's role yesterday... it sounded like Hume did more in his 20 mins or so than De Vries did the entire game =/ well.. too look on the bright side, I thought Peter Gilbert sounded excellent and Hughes did well again

it's a goodpoint, Levein keeps chopping and changing the line up, I think he should ahve kept what we had against Sheffield Wednesday. Players who are not in the starting 11 on a regular basis then will want to make sure that they are good enough to be challenging for a place in it... I also actually think we should really use De Vries on the bench and have Hume upfront, it's almost like De Vries was playing the defender's role yesterday... it sounded like Hume did more in his 20 mins or so than De Vries did the entire game =/ well.. too look on the bright side, I thought Peter Gilbert sounded excellent and Hughes did well again

Somewhat contradictory, you say we should have kept the same team and in the next sentence you're saying drop MDV, who scored 2 goals and bring Hume in. As for Gilbert sounding excellent well he wouldn't have been playing if your first thought of an unchanged team had been met.

Gilbert was far from Excellent,the midfield were carrying him for most of the game,this unsettled the midfield and in turn made Williams look bad.

Levein has only himself to blame for last nights shambolics, the tactics from the off were wrong, why change a winning team? These guys are professional athelites on a hell of a lot of money surely two games in 4 days against piss poor opposition isnt going to burn them out, especially this early in the season. We have a team of individuals with no one prepared to grab the game by the throat and sort everyone out, no-one knew where the hell they were playing last night, Leveins subs I agree were correct but the positioning was shocking! i mean Gudjonsson on the wing FFS! Levein doesn't know his best 11 and until he does things won't change, Peter Gilbert should be banned from the worlds football pitches, he's the biggest waste of space since Lee Marshall, however not just Gilbert was at fault last night for playing hoofball to MDV and Elvis but most of it was due to the fact non of the midfield aside from Hughes were prepared to move to make space and attack with the ball. I'm dreading Wolves and Derby because at the moment I can see us taking an ass raping.

Levein has only himself to blame for last nights shambolics, the tactics from the off were wrong, why change a winning team? These guys are professional athelites on a hell of a lot of money surely two games in 4 days against piss poor opposition isnt going to burn them out, especially this early in the season. We have a team of individuals with no one prepared to grab the game by the throat and sort everyone out, no-one knew where the hell they were playing last night, Leveins subs I agree were correct but the positioning was shocking! i mean Gudjonsson on the wing FFS! Levein doesn't know his best 11 and until he does things won't change, Peter Gilbert should be banned from the worlds football pitches, he's the biggest waste of space since Lee Marshall, however not just Gilbert was at fault last night for playing hoofball to MDV and Elvis but most of it was due to the fact non of the midfield aside from Hughes were prepared to move to make space and attack with the ball. I'm dreading Wolves and Derby because at the moment I can see us taking an ass raping.

As i said previously Gilbert was being carried by the Midfield and this in turn unsettled the Midfield.They played a lot better when McCarthy came on

As i said previously Gilbert was being carried by the Midfield and this in turn unsettled the Midfield.They played a lot better when McCarthy came on

The midfield aside from Hughes was shit all night mate, only Kisnorbo could possibly be excused for Gilberts idiocy from my view, Gaz williams is the laziest twat i've ever seen on a football pitch, couldnt be arsed last night, must have been the weather or something not quite to his liking. Credit to Stephen Hughes though, at least that redeems some of the entrance fee, oh yes, and top stuff from the travelling blue army "EN-GUR-LUND!" who remember this one from the Cardiff Chavs "Walkers Crisps, yer 'avin a laugh" lol

The midfield aside from Hughes was shit all night mate, only Kisnorbo could possibly be excused for Gilberts idiocy from my view, Gaz williams is the laziest twat i've ever seen on a football pitch, couldnt be arsed last night, must have been the weather or something not quite to his liking. Credit to Stephen Hughes though, at least that redeems some of the entrance fee, oh yes, and top stuff from the travelling blue army "EN-GUR-LUND!" who remember this one from the Cardiff Chavs "Walkers Crisps, yer 'avin a laugh" lol

I think your being a little too critical of the Midfield but it's all about opinions,i thought Joey G had a good game,but i thought Kisnorbo looked a little awkward.I know GW is a lazy twat but he got a knock early on in the second half.We do need a big improvement for Saturday

Yes it sounded as if Hume did more in 20 mins than DeVries in the rest of the time, but... you also want a stable line-up and De Vries did well on Saturday, so why drop him? (i.e. on what basis? Would you include Hume in the starting 11?)

MDV is bound to be less effective if he's wasting his energy in defence. People like Heskey are an exception in that they are such fast and powerful athletes they can fit in a bit of defending without it blunting their overall effect. But Mark is a big lad with nothing like the athleticism of Heskey. I've warned before about people burning their energy up away from their selected position.

Occasionally yes, when they're asked to cover for a guy who's taken a knock or had a heavy time of it for 10 minutes but generally it is counter productive. Let defenders defend and attackers attack. The link is in midfield.

How many times did the radio commentator mention lack of support up front?. All the time in the first half.

MDV is a perfectly decent forward. But he can't do two jobs and when he tries it blunts his effect.

Hume is a different kind of player but not one to hold the ball up and bring others into play as would a traditional big centre-forward.

If he and Hammond played up front it would mean playing to feet and the team showed last night and on other occasions that they don't have the discipline to do that.

MDV is bound to be less effective if he's wasting his energy in defence. People like Heskey are an exception in that they are such fast and powerful athletes they can fit in a bit of defending without it blunting their overall effect. But Mark is a big lad with nothing like the athleticism of Heskey. I've warned before about people burning their energy up away from their selected position.

Occasionally yes, when they're asked to cover for a guy who's taken a knock or had a heavy time of it for 10 minutes but generally it is counter productive. Let defenders defend and attackers attack. The link is in midfield.

How many times did the radio commentator mention lack of support up front?. All the time in the first half.

MDV is a perfectly decent forward. But he can't do two jobs and when he tries it blunts his effect.

Hume is a different kind of player but not one to hold the ball up and bring others into play as would a traditional big centre-forward.

If he and Hammond played up front it would mean playing to feet and the team showed last night and on other occasions that they don't have the discipline to do that.

We've seen what Hume can do in 20 Minutes but can he keep it up for 90.I tend to think that CL has got his front two sorted and is not going to change it

I tend to think that CL has got his front two sorted and is not going to change it

All managers have their pre-set ideas and tend to stick to them. Not sure if that makes them persistent, focused and single-minded... or just arrogant, close-minded and stupid.

Either way, I've got a cuppa and the phone ain't ringing so I'm one happy camper.

Hmm I wonder...

Levein was a defender...

Rob Kelly was a midfielder...

Kenny Black: Defender / Midfield

Does this not tend to have an impact on the way they perceive the team, build it, evaluate it etc?

Could we do with any (ex)strikers' input in the way the team is managed?

Just a thought...

You touch on an important point near the end there. I didn't go to Cardiff but I watched the Sheffield Wednesday and Watford Reserves matches and the same thing you mention was apparent there... there seemed very little running off the ball.

When we have possession there is plenty of effort to find positions to receive the ball, it isn't that. It's that no-one makes the selfless runs that take men away and make space for others to run into. Again, and I'm sorry about this, but I question the coaches.

It may be another symptom of a team still evolving. It may be that there are a lot of young and tactically inexperienced players in the side. Young players will naturally think - what can I do to get the ball and make an impression. You can't expect them to understand about running "off the ball".

Perhaps the best thing the management can do in this direction is to show illustrative videos and then to try and develop the skill in small phase situations like six a sides.

Philip Neville is a good one to watch. So often he makes a forward run right down the flank and commits defenders to take notice of him while the player with the ball can pick out a man running into the space left by the defender.

Scholes used to do loads of it in midfield - if he was left alone and he got the ball he was lethal, if he was marked the someone running into the space he left was lethal. Dickov, Heskey and Cottee were brilliant at it for Leicester.

So far I've seen little evidence of such running at Leicester but Hume and Hughes could certainly create some space this way. It's far too comfortable for defenders if everyone is standing still or doing the obvious.

And, of course, it means that creative defenders like Sheehan have little in the way of passing options cos everyone is marked and therefore every pass, however good, becomes 50-50.

Hmm I wonder...

Levein was a defender...

Rob Kelly was a midfielder...

Kenny Black: Defender / Midfield

Does this not tend to have an impact on the way they perceive the team, build it, evaluate it etc?

Could we do with any (ex)strikers' input in the way the team is managed?

Just a thought...

wheres gary lineker?

wheres gary lineker?

Getting paid a tidy sum for hosting MOTD, why would he want to come here and coach? He was interviewed on TV recently (for that program about what footballers do after they retire) and he said that he'd never wanted to go into coaching or management and even when he was still playing had started looking into the media side of things.

Yes it sounded as if Hume did more in 20 mins than DeVries in the rest of the time, but... you also want a stable line-up and De Vries did well on Saturday, so why drop him? (i.e. on what basis? Would you include Hume in the starting 11?)

on what basis.. how about not scoring regularly enough =/ I'm just saying give Hume more of a chance than just chucking him on for the last 15

on what basis.. how about not scoring regularly enough =/ I'm just saying give Hume more of a chance than just chucking him on for the last 15

Well, I have to agree with you that sending him in for just 15 minutes seems a bit strange... is he trying to prove a point or what? Hume might say that 15 minutes is enough but...

Archived