Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Crowds at Football/Cricket

Watching the test matches I couldn't help noticing the difference between crowds at the Test Matches and Top Level football matches these, not someting that's new I know, but I remember when you could go down Filbert Street and it was like the Cricket, fans of both clubs all mixed into together, some drunk some sober and it wasn't as if they were small crowds. I have strong memories of seeing City V's Liverpool and standing in the Popular Side (East Stand) absolutely chock-a-block with supporters you couldn't move and there were as many Liverppol Fans in there as Leicester, with plenty of banter, singing, joking and chanting all trying to outdo one another - a cracking atmosphere.

Where did it all go wrong, well my earliest memory of trouble relates to a friendly versus Rangers circa 1967, I was standing in the Pop Side with about 2000 Rangers fans when all of a sudden, I don't know what started it but everyone of of them started chucking beer bottles on to the pitch before long the pitch was covered in them, bottles that is; we had stewards charging in grabbing hold of whoever they could get hold of and chucking them out.

I have to say in an era where you can feel unsafe just standing near fenced off oppo fans I do hanker for the time when we had the same atmosphere as the cricket - the fun certainly seems to be disappearing fast at matches we don't much, if any comedic banter/singing these days.

Oh well progress I suppose. :(

In terms of atmosphere at the footie (particularly at Leicester), for me, the all-seater bowl-style stadia don't help. You are set back further from the the players and the grounds have no distinct sections. Filbo was so intimate and claustrophobic when it was full, no matter where you were positioned. That's completely lost at Walkers.

If I'd had my way, the they should have built The New Filbert Street Stadium. A near-as-dammit replica, stands close to the pitch, with four distinct stands as opposed to a bowl. Obviously, make alterations to better proportion the four stands and re-shape the south stand, better concourses blah blah - it would have been fab.

Players used to hate coming to Filbo - so many are quoted as saying it was one of their worst grounds to play at. We've lost that mystique and it will take years for the City players and fans to really build a rapport with the new ground.

As for cricket, I think it's easy to get carried away with the post-Ashes hoo-haa. Crickte's played at a different pace. Football's certainly changed a lot, but the two have distinct atmospheres. Most people's experience of live (Test) cricket is perhaps one day in a year. It's an occasion, even if the weather's bad. Get some beers and sarnies in, load up the cool box and make a day of it. Most people are determined to enjoy themselves whatever.

League football (and county cricket, to be honest) is a labour of love for most. An investment which pays out only the occasional emotional dividend.

I've been on the Western terrace at Headingley and been appalled by the behaviour of some people there, so even cricket has it's moments. The recent pitch invasions in this country (anyone remember Australia-Pakistan, I think? - being abandoned) are also examples of cricket's less good side.

Football's lost its charm, but then it's lost its anger and violence to a certain extent. It's become diluted. That's why I watch a bit of my local side, Hartlepool, every now and again. Don't give a monkeys © how they do, but I can stand for £12 and the pies are ace.

Ho-hum.

I believe that Liverpool game was one of my first (I was a late starter) following City. Never too bothered about football until then. Even now I treat a game just as a day out. I go watch and go home. Of course I want City to win and I cheer when they score but I can turn off.

I think that is one of the main differences between Football fans and fowwers of other sports. They can turn off their emotions after the event and take an unbiased view. How many City fans come away from a game and say the ref was completely fair to Leicester and the other team played a good game and deserved to win?

I'm not a great lover of cricket or rugby but people who enjoy all sports are turning away from football because of the better attitude from the fans. I know somebody that works at the Tiger ground and he says when Tiger plays away(Saracens I think) he can go in a pub wearing his tiger jacket scarf etc. with the opposing fans and dont have to buy a drink. How common is this sort of thing football?

Watching the test matches I couldn't help noticing the difference between crowds at the Test Matches and Top Level football matches these, not someting that's new I know, but I remember when you could go down Filbert Street and it was like the Cricket, fans of both clubs all mixed into together, some drunk some sober and it wasn't as if they were small crowds. I have strong memories of seeing City V's Liverpool and standing in the Popular Side (East Stand) absolutely chock-a-block with supporters you couldn't move and there were as many Liverppol Fans in there as Leicester, with plenty of banter, singing, joking and chanting all trying to outdo one another - a cracking atmosphere.

Where did it all go wrong, well my earliest memory of trouble relates to a friendly versus Rangers circa 1967, I was standing in the Pop Side with about 2000 Rangers fans when all of a sudden, I don't know what started it but everyone of of them started chucking beer bottles on to the pitch before long the pitch was covered in them, bottles that is; we had stewards charging in grabbing hold of whoever they could get hold of and chucking them out.

I have to say in an era where you can feel unsafe just standing near fenced off oppo fans I do hanker for the time when we had the same atmosphere as the cricket - the fun certainly seems to be disappearing fast at matches we don't much, if any comedic banter/singing these days.

Oh well progress I suppose. :(

Sad to say it's all a bit soulless now. Both against Stoke and against Sheffield Wednesday I had a good seat in the West Stand but could have laid out a picnic like they take to the cricket, with big white tablecloth and a spread to savour, umpteen guests and I still wouldn't have been in anyone's way.

There were two or three attempts at rousing chanting but nothing that'd wake the baby and I'll never get used to having to sit on my arse all the time..and having people climb over me cos they wanna go early for a piss or a pie.

Football's up against it, hence my plea in CAPITAL LETTERS to put on a show, to develop an attacking policy , to make the football itself put some atmosphere back in the ground.

We'll never again be passed over the heads of hoardes of tightly squeezed fans on the Popular Side so we could sit on the running track around the pitch - but we've still got those distant yet wonderful memories - and we can still hope that the football at least comes eventually to compare with those halycon days once more.

Or do all ageing men end up frustrated?

Archived