Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1972 Fox

Drinkwater starts for England v Australia

We don't need to worry about image. If we have to play a direct, physical game and it works then great. You don't get prizes for nice football and an early exit. I think we've been wedded to a belief that playing expansive football is the only "right" way of playing and we should be ashamed to be pragmatic and win.

That's exactly my point, but I'm not sure he sees it that way. Hodgson was never known for his style of football, he was generally a manager in that kind of mould. It isn't great to watch but it might just nick us the odd draw or win we weren't expecting. That's what we got in 2012 - not a particularly memorable tournament but our best in years (which is quite worrying) given the circumstances.

We just aren't an expansive type of side. Go toe to toe playing Germany that way and they'll beat us, and I'm not talking about their reserves either like in March.

On the subject of players, Rooney I've made my feelings clear on on a number of occasions but I agree with whoever said he's looking a lot sharper of late. I'd definitely be pointing fingers at players like Lallana, Sterling and Barkley before Rooney. I haven't got a clue what Lallana or Barkley offer.

So the best defensive English central midfielder this season who has played every game against all possible competitors and utterly outclassed them all is to be left behind for a liability who has played about 2 proper games this season ....gotta love woy !!!!

I'm from ireland and DD would walk into our teams if we discovered his granny broke her leg in Galway/Belfast and spent 6 weeks in traction...good enough for us ...good luck..

So the best defensive English central midfielder this season who has played every game against all possible competitors and utterly outclassed them all is to be left behind for a liability who has played about 2 proper games this season ....gotta love woy !!!!

I'm from ireland and DD would walk into our teams if we discovered his granny broke her leg in Galway/Belfast and spent 6 weeks in traction...good enough for us ...good luck..

If Drinkwater himself did it he might actually get on the plane.

Archived