Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1972 Fox

Drinkwater starts for England v Australia

Hopefully the next England manager will have the balls to play the right players in the right positions rather than putting square pegs in round holes to satisfy egos and picking on reputation.

Watching 'Alfies boys' the other day, there was a moment that really struck me when Bobby Charlton was talking about Alf Ramsey picking his bother Jack and he was saying that Jack wasn't the best player in his position by a long chalk but he had a great attitude and mentality. He went on to say that there were a number of high profile players who didn't play in 66 because Ramsey picked guys who could play in his system. I wish modern English managers would take note.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It's not the ONLY way. We won the league playing 4-4-2 remember?

Which needs wingers - England have called a total of 1 up, and he's likely to be cut from the squad to get down to the 23. If Albrighton and Antonio were in the squad yeah, 4-4-2 all day long, but they're not - and Lallana and Sterling out wide in a 4-4-2 won't work

Which needs wingers - England have called a total of 1 up, and he's likely to be cut from the squad to get down to the 23. If Albrighton and Antonio were in the squad yeah, 4-4-2 all day long, but they're not - and Lallana and Sterling out wide in a 4-4-2 won't work

Your correct here, which is one of the reasons Roy's selection process is poor.

Drinky,Lallana,Henderson,Barkley are all players who are ineffective in either sides of a diamond

Milner knew a little more what to do in that position when he came on.

The only players who can properly play them positions to the best of their ability are Alli/Rooney attacking mf and Dier/Drinkwater Defensive mid

The rest are trying to play positions they are not familiar with and are shown up at international level.

It's not that they are bad players it's Roy's tactics and formation that will make us suffer.

Hopefully the next England manager will have the balls to play the right players in the right positions rather than putting square pegs in round holes to satisfy egos and picking on reputation.

Watching 'Alfies boys' the other day, there was a moment that really struck me when Bobby Charlton was talking about Alf Ramsey picking his bother Jack and he was saying that Jack wasn't the best player in his position by a long chalk but he had a great attitude and mentality. He went on to say that there were a number of high profile players who didn't play in 66 because Ramsey picked guys who could play in his system. I wish modern English managers would take note.

Good point but I wonder if merchandising and advertising and money play a factor in squad selection and the running of England football. For example many people want Rooney dropped but would the FA drop him seeing as he's such a high profile player that probably sells thousands and thousands of England shirts every year. Just a thought.

Taking both Wilshere and Hendo is a big risk in itself, he he takes them both I reckon it's a big kick in the teeth for DD

Henderson is just a very poor player... I can't see what he offers, everyone I watch him he passes more to the opposition than to his own team mates

Good point but I wonder if merchandising and advertising and money play a factor in squad selection and the running of England football. For example many people want Rooney dropped but would the FA drop him seeing as he's such a high profile player that probably sells thousands and thousands of England shirts every year. Just a thought.

I think you've hit the nail on the head TJB. Tbf to Hodgson, he doesn't have the autonomy Ramsey had. That said, he doesn't help himself sometimes.

It's not the ONLY way. We won the league playing 4-4-2 remember?

So who is going to be withdrawn? You want vards stretching up top and Kane won't play in the opposition holding midfield area. We weren't a traditional 4-4-2

as we showed, the central midfield area has to remain congested - teams don't generally score from out wide. problem England have is that when crosses come in, our defence isn't good enough to deal with them.

this is why when push comes to shove, I believe Roy will revert to type re formation and go 4-3-3. Vardy on the bench to come on late if required.

On the commentary last night they said Woy had said "tactics / formations don't win you game, performances do". Sums up our chances I think.

Woy saying the final 23 will have balance. We have no balance whatsoever!! As other have said should have taken Antonio or Albrighton.

On the commentary last night they said Woy had said "tactics / formations don't win you game, performances do". Sums up our chances I think.

Woy saying the final 23 will have balance. We have no balance whatsoever!! As other have said should have taken Antonio or Albrighton.

But tactics and formations plus playing the right players in natural positions help performances... makes no sense what Roy says and truly worries me

I can see Woy picking Rashford cos of the all the hype around him. I think it will be Delph, Townsend and Drinky that get dropped for the euro squad and he'll take Rooney as a midfielder

I don't know, i don't get this Rooney in CM business. Plus Woy has never played him there, just sounds a bit Alan Smithy to me, but at least he could tackle.

But tactics and formations plus playing the right players in natural positions help performances... makes no sense what Roy says and truly worries me

Exactly he is up there with McLaren for me, shame we don't have O'Neill in charge I think ROI may do alright!

The manager is brainless he's had years to get this right and he still don't know what his best team is never mind his formation, we will get ripped to bits playing a diamond.

3 game a season wilshere and Henderson shouldn't be near the starting 11.

The sooner the manager gets the bullet the better.

Rather have Wallcot than Sterling and lallanna

Rooney might just be finding a bit of form at the right time, he's looking good on the ball which is something he's not done for a while. Almost too many options up front right now and nowhere near enough genuine options to play an effective system in midfield.

If we do well it'll be by getting lucky with a formation and key individual players finally performing for the 3 Lions.

Rooney might just be finding a bit of form at the right time, he's looking good on the ball which is something he's not done for a while. Almost too many options up front right now and nowhere near enough genuine options to play an effective system in midfield.

If we do well it'll be by getting lucky with a formation and key individual players finally performing for the 3 Lions.

As long as the opposition don't attack we'll be fine.

I don't think he did enough on last night's viewing but him, Henderson and Milner are all much of a muchness so two from three very similar players will go.

Being played in different positions in the same match doesn't help but that goes for the likes of Vardy, Rashford and others too.

Problem is Woy has been watching Spurs too much and was told we had a cracking left winger, he seems to have worked out it isn't Vardy do it must be DD. Will probably call up Danny Simpson next and play him left wing.

As do I. The lack of obvious direction in England's side is what makes it hard to defend Hodgson's selections. When there's an obvious gameplan, you can sympathise when some players don't get picked even if they probably do deserve it. I have little doubt if Drinkwater and Vardy showed their form this season for a bigger club they would be used in their positions as starters. It's madness how Rashford gets a start up front and Vardy doesn't.

We beat Australia and Turkey, and in both games we displayed some decent football on occasions, but there was nothing at all convincing about either game, we looked very easy to create against and quite dis-organised.

We have particular thought patterns in this country that hinder us. Rashford isn't going to win us the Euros. Sorry but I'm just not having it. He's a promising player but as expected he's getting ridiculously over-rated by the fans and media over one goal and an 'OK' performance. I've seen nothing to convince me he'll go to France and make a difference for us.

Also think we need to embrace being a rough round the edges kind of side. Like Leicester, like Atletico Madrid, like Uruguay. We aren't some pretty technical team. By all means work towards that in the long-term but we're largely physical and about pace. Finesse isn't our game at the minute.

Also think we need to embrace being a rough round the edges kind of side. Like Leicester, like Atletico Madrid, like Uruguay. We aren't some pretty technical team. By all means work towards that in the long-term but we're largely physical and about pace. Finesse isn't our game at the minute.

We don't need to worry about image. If we have to play a direct, physical game and it works then great. You don't get prizes for nice football and an early exit. I think we've been wedded to a belief that playing expansive football is the only "right" way of playing and we should be ashamed to be pragmatic and win.

Archived